Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

These thick as shit players ?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
If they wanted him that badly perhaps they should have bid £10.5M for him and not Hendrick, and perhaps Dale Stephens should recognise how much we value him and how much Burnley didn't, and focus his frustration elsewhere.

Let's also not forget we could argue the reason that we are not all living our premier league dream is because we had to play a large amount of a very important game with 10 men, Dale.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well it's as good as. If I couldn't leave my job if I wanted to then I would feel enslaved, even if being remunerated.

Its not 'as good as' slavery, its really not. Slavery is forced labour with zero pay and no human rights. Ronaldo was ridiculed when he was trying to force a move from Man Utd to Real Madrid and described himself as being "like a slave" when Man U held him to his contract for another year (that HE SIGNED remember, with no gun to his head).

Its this type of preposterous emotive language that reinforces the view that footballers truly do live on another planet to the rest of us. Along with the likes of Stephens, who seemingly cannot function as a footballer while his heads been turned by frigging Burnley.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If they wanted him that badly perhaps they should have bid £10.5M for him and not Hendrick, and perhaps Dale Stephens should recognise how much we value him and how much Burnley didn't, and focus his frustration elsewhere.

Let's also not forget we could argue the reason that we are not all living our premier league dream is because we had to play a large amount of a very important game with 10 men, Dale.

Are you trying to blame DS for the sending off? Have you actually looked at the incident?

There is only one person responsible and that is the idiot that is Mike Dean.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its not 'as good as' slavery, its really not. Slavery is forced labour with zero pay and no human rights. Ronaldo was ridiculed when he was trying to force a move from Man Utd to Real Madrid and described himself as being "like a slave" when Man U held him to his contract for another year (that HE SIGNED remember, with no gun to his head).

Its this type of preposterous emotive language that reinforces the view that footballers truly do live on another planet to the rest of us. Along with the likes of Stephens, who seemingly cannot function as a footballer while his heads been turned by frigging Burnley.

Trapped is a better word than enslaved. Look at the Dean Cox story. Because he was released yesterday rather than on Wednesday, he cannot play for a League club until January because Orient hold his registration. He's probably got his wages coming in or compensation, but he cannot work for four months. He can play at Conference level and below, but that's risking injury. He's enslaved/trapped.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the view that all footballers are on megabucks is misinformed. In the Premier League and Championship remuneration is damn good.

Drop to L1 and L2 and it is a different picture. The total wage bill of all 24 clubs in L2 in 2014/15 was £82 million, which was the same as that of Swansea City.

Most players in those leagues are on 1 or 2 year contracts, a significant number of which are not renewed. They are not paupers, my house was previously occupied by a former pro player (although I know some fringe players at places such as Bury, where Dale Stephens started his carreer on £200 a week) but there's little security and it's a bugger getting a mortgage as lenders are aware that there is no guarantee of long term income.

Some of Stephens' words were a bit ill thought out in his tweet, but that's as far as it went. No worse than the likes of Elliott Bennett who asked for a transfer during the window a few years ago, it was rejected, he still gave 100% until the end of the season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Trapped is a better word than enslaved. Look at the Dean Cox story. Because he was released yesterday rather than on Wednesday, he cannot play for a League club until January because Orient hold his registration. He's probably got his wages coming in or compensation, but he cannot work for four months. He can play at Conference level and below, but that's risking injury. He's enslaved/trapped.

Yup, that's a pretty shitty situation, and I have no idea of the circumstances as to why Orient have done that to him. But that is in no way remotely related to the Ronaldo situation, or Dalegate.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I appreciate that many peoples view of Stephens is that if we were offered the opportunity to double our salary for at least a year, we may well have behaved the same as this ungrateful scrote.

However, football is unique among business modules. The players wages are dependant upon generous Chairman , sponsors and supporters.

To put some pathetic weasel, whinging excuse for his utterly selfish attitude on twitter is beyond contempt for those who pay money from their pockets just to pay someone to have 'fun' kicking a football.

We will of course put up with it, because so many of these sort pervade our beautiful game today. After 52 years supporting the Albion , I find it harder and harder to feel any compassion for the players. The Chairman, sponsors and supporters , I applaud you for continually reaching deep into your pockets to support the desire for a solid football club that will be here long after the greedy ****ers have bled everyone dry.
I certainly don't get the bug with football as its all about money money and money....this was one sport that really identified to the working classes but nowadays it's been destroyed by money like many other things in the modern day world.

Very few players have any affiliation with supporters and they don't give a shite it's as simple as that!!!

Sky are the reason why it's gone to pot and it's happening in Spain and ruining everything great about the game....very sad times:nono:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some of Stephens' words were a bit ill thought out in his tweet, but that's as far as it went. No worse than the likes of Elliott Bennett who asked for a transfer during the window a few years ago, it was rejected, he still gave 100% until the end of the season.

I may be making this up but my memory is that Bennett's performance levels dropped off quite sharply after his transfer was refused and for the rest of the season. I'm not saying he didn't try but I don't think his heart was still in it and it showed imo. :shrug:

I will be very pleasantly surprised if DS is anywhere near the player he was last season over the next few months.

theboybilly

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Are you trying to blame DS for the sending off? Have you actually looked at the incident?

There is only one person responsible and that is the idiot that is The Complete And Utter Shyster.

No, I didn't watch the game. What happened?....

Of course I saw it. I was just insinuating (playing devil's advocate if you will) that it could be argued...etc etc. I wholeheartedly agree that shinpads would have been useful in that situation. Let's not forget that also the club and fans backed and defended DS fully and unreservedly throughout that scenario.

DS isn't the only person a little upset that he's not playing in the premier league and perhaps he should look at the bigger picture and not be so childish.

PS I appreciate your use of capitalisation with the shyster remark.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think the view that all footballers are on megabucks is misinformed. In the Premier League and Championship remuneration is damn good.

Drop to L1 and L2 and it is a different picture. The total wage bill of all 24 clubs in L2 in 2014/15 was £82 million, which was the same as that of Swansea City.

Most players in those leagues are on 1 or 2 year contracts, a significant number of which are not renewed. They are not paupers, my house was previously occupied by a former pro player (although I know some fringe players at places such as Bury, where Dale Stephens started his carreer on £200 a week) but there's little security and it's a bugger getting a mortgage as lenders are aware that there is no guarantee of long term income.

Academy Contracts are not well paid at all and Youth Contracts are not either but it would surprise you how decently clubs like Lincoln City and Cambridge and Stevenage and so on actually do pay. It is comparable and in some cases better than fairly well qualified professional people.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The mistake that Dale Stephens made was to go onto a social media site and vent his frustration to all and sundry. However disappointed he felt at not achieving his desired move to a PL club, then and there was not the place to air his grievances. He is a contracted employee and has now let his employer know exactly how he feels. Even worse, he has let the fanbase of this club know exactly how he feels. This is a fanbase that pays a lot of money to support this club and they don't want to hear that a player feels he has been robbed of an opportunity elsewhere. The fans are proud to wear the club colours and they expect players, whilst they are at the club, to be proud of wearing the colours as well. Even if they do want to move away, the fans expect an element of dignity and silence. They don't want to listen to players saying that they are not in the right frame of mind to play and they don't want to listen to players complaining that the club that pays them a handsome salary is holding them back in life.
Should we be surprised that players now go public with their feelings. No. The whole world is a maelstrom of instant information. Very little is private anymore. People share their lives, their innermost thoughts on social media channels for all to see. Players post comments about games/other players pre match/post match whenever. The dichotemy now is that fans feel close to the players via social media but in reality there is little contact elsewhere. Not that long ago you could talk to players as they arrived at grounds. They would sign autographs, pose for pictures and mingle. Now, you never see them at home games and at away games, like every other set of players, they disembark, head-phones on, staring straight ahead and into the ground. No contact, nothing. Maybe footballers feel they don't have to bother anymore. As fewer and fewer hometown boys make it into their clubs, maybe the passion that ties one to a club and its fans is missing. Maybe for many of them now it is just a job of work and they will do anything it takes to keep climbing the ladder and earning more money. Maybe thats no different from the rest of the business world. Jobs for life just don't exist anymore. Here today, gone tomorrow for more bucks.
Its clear footballers from a very young age are now cossetted and pampered like never before. They barely have to lift a finger. Everything is done for them. No real responsibility, other than making sure the alarm clock is set for 9.30am. They are treated like high achievers when they are, in fact, novices. Lack of responsibilty sometimes breeds complacency and sometimes breeds arrogance. Not always but the likelihood is always there. It depends on advice. From parents, from the club and from agents who control their lives and set the agenda. Agents who have flooded into the game as soon as the big money arrived and will be the first ones out of it, if it ever crashes and burns. Most of these individuals are in it for personal gain. They purport to represent the interests of their clients but in reality, their well-being comes first.
Footballers and agents pull all the strings now and control the game. They know they can get a manager sacked by downing tools. They are protected. They don't carry the can for any failure, they just get dropped on full wages. Some are paid more in one day than millions of people in this country earn in a year. They are in a different league now and have lifestyles that don't truly represent what they contribute to society.
Dale Stephens is no different from many footballers today. A decent player but not hugely talented. Swept along on this tide of enthusiasm to reach the promised land, the Premier League. The holy grail. Where designer wives proliferate, where Bentleys are second cars and where agents tell their clients that they are world-beaters and should be playing elsewhere. Where contact with the fans is occasional and grudging. Where reality has flown out of the window.
Footballers should be seen and not heard.

I don't do the social media but regularly look in on NSC, as well as players being quick to burst onto the internet and vent, so do we on here, some posts are well thought out and others just drivel. Unfortunately as Mo has very eloquently put here, times have changed massively, we're not going to stop it and our views will not be heard by clubs only by ourselves, but we are entitled to air our views and don't have accept bad manners, behaviour or vitriol from those in privileged positions. I have never heard the board, and I have objected to some things they have done, behave badly in relation to anyone under contract or treat anyone unreasonably, its not going to happen, but it would be nice to think that players would just show some empathy. DS like most other young players has been born into a generation of privileged players with access to social media, he may be a decent footballer, probably not as good as he thinks, but sometimes its wise to say nothing, epecially whne your feeling hurt or disappointed.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
It only takes one vicious tackle like Kermogant did to Rosenior.

Btw Return of the Rev, I've seen a few nurses distracted by talking about their nights out. The way my father was treated in Worthing hospital for the last few weeks of his life, was disgusting.

Sorry about your experience. But I have to respond by saying how amazing the nurses and doctors were at Worthing hospital when they saved my life. On the Stephens stuff I just want to say the only bit that that got to me,was it wouldn't have hurt at he end of his tweet t say , 'but I'm hateful to Brighton and their fans and will give my all for them' !!

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Sorry about your experience. But I have to respond by saying how amazing the nurses and doctors were at Worthing hospital when they saved my life. On the Stephens stuff I just want to say the only bit that that got to me,was it wouldn't have hurt at he end of his tweet t say , 'but I'm hateful to Brighton and their fans and will give my all for them' !!
. Bn
Should have said 'thankful to Brighton and their fans'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here