Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

These thick as shit players ?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I appreciate that many peoples view of Stephens is that if we were offered the opportunity to double our salary for at least a year, we may well have behaved the same as this ungrateful scrote.

However, football is unique among business modules. The players wages are dependant upon generous Chairman , sponsors and supporters.

To put some pathetic weasel, whinging excuse for his utterly selfish attitude on twitter is beyond contempt for those who pay money from their pockets just to pay someone to have 'fun' kicking a football.

We will of course put up with it, because so many of these sort pervade our beautiful game today. After 52 years supporting the Albion , I find it harder and harder to feel any compassion for the players. The Chairman, sponsors and supporters , I applaud you for continually reaching deep into your pockets to support the desire for a solid football club that will be here long after the greedy ****ers have bled everyone dry.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You know, I wrote (then deleted) pretty much the same this morning after reading what Stephens had tweeted. There has always been detachment from these people, them and us, but it's never been as wide as it is now. I really enjoy going to football, I think and write about our team every day on here, but I'm not sure I actually like the players very much. Sad really, but there it is.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fair points. There is an obvious sense of entitlement running through the veins of some fans at the moment, but that's nothing compared to some of the players.....

theboybilly

I appreciate that many peoples view of Stephens is that if we were offered the opportunity to double our salary for at least a year, we may well have behaved the same as this ungrateful scrote.

However, football is unique among business modules. The players wages are dependant upon generous Chairman , sponsors and supporters.

To put some pathetic weasel, whinging excuse for his utterly selfish attitude on twitter is beyond contempt for those who pay money from their pockets just to pay someone to have 'fun' kicking a football.

We will of course put up with it, because so many of these sort pervade our beautiful game today. After 52 years supporting the Albion , I find it harder and harder to feel any compassion for the players. The Chairman, sponsors and supporters , I applaud you for continually reaching deep into your pockets to support the desire for a solid football club that will be here long after the greedy ****ers have bled everyone dry.

There are only so many that can be in the Premier League squads at any one time (of Dale's age at least). Burnley and Hull were seemingly the only two to show interest but Hull's bid seemed half-hearted to me. With Burnley once they'd got Hendrick I have a feeling that Mr Stephens became less important to them. Had they been pushed for a midfielder at 9 o'clock last night I reckon the phones would have been red-hot between the clubs and the fee would have shot up. Tony Bloom seems to have looked at things and thought the gamble on keeping Dale was worth it. Albion paid around half a million for him(?) two and a bit years ago so stood to make a healthy profit but TB must think that we are well capable of another tilt at promotion and he can stand the loss of that £7 million should it come to it. Fair play to him I say, it's his money.
As for Dale, and most footballers, they are mercenaries in a unique industry. Their careers are short and can be shortened more by injury so I don't necessarily disrespect him over this affair. I'm just a bit bemused why he didn't hand that transfer request in earlier. I just hope he can still have the heart for the battles ahead.
I rate Dale Stephens, always have since he came here. At the Open Training day he was among the last to leave after signing autographs for the kids. I just couldn't see him wanting to leave going by what I saw that day. This has all really p*ssed me off

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think the problem is over sensitive fans who don't live in the real world.

I'd agree with that first bit...I guess you could ask what real world do footballers live in?..ps I've no problem with DS ..also can't quite see the thread title tieing in with the post ..he's hardly thick as shit if he gets paid handsomely to have fun kicking a football as has been said

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I won't hold this against Stephens provided he gives his all for the rest of this season.

The bottom line is he signed a contract and once it's up he's a free agent to go where he pleases.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Complete nonsense, gratuitously abusive and totally naïve.

Also patronising...I don't want or need to be applauded for paying to support the club. It's my choice - no-one makes me do it. And the same applies to the Chairman and sponsors.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
These situations should be able to be worked out between player and club. Surely some sort of compromise can be reached? If he didn't want to be here and no agreement had been made with the club then the transfer request should have gone in weeks ago. Now we have reached this end and neither side is particularly happy.

I just hope he gives his all and plays as well as he can for us. If he doesn't he or we may not get to the Premier League.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I think the problem is over sensitive fans who don't live in the real world.

Hey your so right I often think I don't live in the real world as a gaze out of my 6 bedroom mansion lovingly at my Aston Martin V12 Vantage S. What a cock! :tosser:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's tough to appreciate what my £50 a month contribution is to a man than earns £X,000's a week and a club that annually loses £10,000,000.

'Our' involvement in professional football got left behind a long time ago.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No problem with Dale's honesty but the final part of the tweet left a bad taste. 'I'll honour my contract' firstly he has no option so you're not doing us a favour.

The tweet was obviously thought out so why not end on a slightly more positive note such as 'I'm disappointed but I'll be making every possible effort to take Brighton into the Premier League this season.

I think Stephens comes across as honest but also selfish and self entitled.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
You know, I wrote (then deleted) pretty much the same this morning after reading what Stephens had tweeted. There has always been detachment from these people, them and us, but it's never been as wide as it is now. I really enjoy going to football, I think and write about our team every day on here, but I'm not sure I actually like the players very much. Sad really, but there it is.

It's odd and the beauty of opinions I guess but for me, I probably haven't liked as many players as I do with this current squad.

That's probably due to my son now liking football and therefore us heading over to get autographs etc. after some games. So many of our players appreciate people coming out to watch them and will take the time to not only sign an autograph but to have a chat with the kids.

My son was over the moon with the players he has met, they have always been brilliant to him. Therefore, to me, they are decent lads. Dale is one of the best for it and takes the time to have a chat with my son despite his insane shyness, he crouches down and has a chat. He is a decent bloke that is just trying to do the best for his family by earning as much money and challenging himself at the highest level.

I have no problem with what he did and accept that we aren't the biggest club ever and a lad from Bolton has limited attachment to us especially if his current employees will be handsomely compensated for his registration.

Let's remember - Inigo had his moment like this despite us giving him a contract when he was training on his own, had no club etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oh, that real world where £10K a week is considered pretty normal?

It is normal, market forces set the wage level as they do in every industry.

As for the OP's comments, bitter, abusive and shallow.

How many on here actually know many footballers? They see some of them with large salaries, big cars and houses, fit wives and assume they're all thick, ignorant, selfish and so on.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

Last edited:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
What Kaz did is probably worse than what DS did, especially considering he didn't even have the balls to stand by his attention-seeking, shit-stirring tweet and deleted it in minutes. At least this means he will still get chances to retweet all the 'u iz a baller Kaz u shudve bin playin 2day m8' tweets when we don't win a game.

Obviously has no intention of working hard to win a place. May as well tear up his contract and let him go to Crawley or wherever he was so 'disappointed' not to go to.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

I don't pay to watch certain players play, and I doubt any ST holders renewed because they were only interested in watching Dale Stephens play. Most, if not all pay to watch Brighton and Hove Albion play and its the club they watch and follow, not individual players (which will always come and go)

Dale wanting to test himself in the highest league, against the best players in the country because there is a chance it may never otherwise happen seems fair enough to me.

It would be like one of us working in a grotty office in a crap area and given the chance to work in New York, Paris or somewhere far better than your current circumstances - a lot of people would jump at the chance (and that's before you bring in a far higher wage too) - Should your customers and colleagues be annoyed at you for being willing to go, or wish you good luck and look to see who your replacement is?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think this does deserve another thread because in contrast to the Dale Stephens thread it is about the reaction of some fans rather than the player. There is a hypocricy at work here where if any of our players wish to leave then they are the devils spawn whereas it is deemed perfectly reasonable to tempt the best players at other 'smaller' clubs including for derisory money. Connor Goldson was an absolute steal from Shrewsbury but I don't remember any threads on here comparing the Albion to Burnley as cheapskates.Clearly DS is not the first player to look for a move and submit a late transfer request. He is also entitled to his view about events. This then is not about that but rather an excuse to vent dislike at modern football.The money in football is crazy but that's not the fault of DS. I for one feel that despite the money, the players have never been more connected to the fans (at this club anyway) and that's partly due to their interaction with fans on social media and partly their passion and workrate. It is so easy for negativity to creep in, a few weeks ago it was coffee in 1901 and whatever else and now one of our best players is taking the brunt of it. Seriously, move on and accept that the player 's financial interests do not tally with your own but that is no reason to dislike him or anyone else.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No problem with Dale's honesty but the final part of the tweet left a bad taste. 'I'll honour my contract' firstly he has no option so you're not doing us a favour.

The tweet was obviously thought out so why not end on a slightly more positive note such as 'I'm disappointed but I'll be making every possible effort to take Brighton into the Premier League this season.

I think Stephens comes across as honest but also selfish and self entitled.

Similar sentiments to me. I had no issue with him wanting to leave, but the tweet just smacked of unprofessional whining from a bloke in a really privileged position. It's that that's really made me dislike him.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing

There has not always been detachment. I remember fondly travelling home on the train with the team. Norman Gall making sure I was alright when I caught my eye on a train window catch and chatting with Eddie Spearritt about his niece. Seems like a different world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here