Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retro fitting a DAB radio into an 'old' car

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it worth it?

Much to my surprise Halfrauds have a car DAB radio for only £69 with a 'stick on the windscreen' aerial for an extra £20.

That all seems too good to be true, does it work well enough?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Is it worth it?

Much to my surprise Halfrauds have a car DAB radio for only £69 with a 'stick on the windscreen' aerial for an extra £20.

That all seems too good to be true, does it work well enough?

We paid a load more for a multi function GPS/DAB thingy that cost about £500 from Huets but effectively the aerial is still internal and stuck to the windscreen. Works brilliantly, only blackout points on DAB between here and Derbyshire or South Wales are for a couple of seconds at a roundabout just after Worthing and just by the Rose Bowl, other than that.....

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Got DAB with my new car. Different stations seem to have different drop out rates. I like Absolute 80s but it drops out 8 times in my 15 minute commute. Nice listening to TMS without squealing though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Depends on your windscreen too, some block more UV (and therefore more of the RF spectrum) than others.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I retrofitted a cheap Chinese Android 'look-a-like-OEM'. It's touchscreen with apps so I use Tunein.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I retrofitted a cheap Chinese Android 'look-a-like-OEM'. It's touchscreen with apps so I use Tunein.

Hi, I don't think we've met.
My name is Stat, and I will be removing a CASSETTE player. :lolol:
I have another car on 'standby' just in case I manage to lose a rear wheel, during the procedure!

What are you talking about? :lol:

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have a factory fitted DAB Radio, if you live anywhere near Arundel or travel via The South Downs forget it!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
got mine done at Halfords - only had a radio/cassette thing in my old heap of junk - and it works fine. no regrets at all.
Did you get it for £89 all in...?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've only gone and bloody well done it.

For £90 I've gone from a cassette player to fully functioning (in my driveway at least) DAB radio + all the extra gubbins.

I'm an absolute idiot at this sort of stuff but 2 separate Youtube vids made the job a piece off wee-wee.
If you're thinking of doing the upgrade, do it.

I guarantee it's easier than you think.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

For £90 I've gone from a cassette player to fully functioning (in my driveway at least) DAB radio + all the extra gubbins.

I'm an absolute idiot at this sort of stuff but 2 separate Youtube vids made the job a piece off wee-wee.

What are the extra gubbiing?
And how much do Halfords charge for installation?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Oh dear, cassettes are the new vinyl

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What are the extra gubbiing?
And how much do Halfords charge for installation?
I-Pod, Android, USB connection all the stuff that wasn't standard when cassette players were installed in cars :lol:

I think Halfords charge £30 but I don't know if that's for aerial AND the unit or not.

All I did was copy these 2 fellas:-

&

This one was even easier than the video, as the harness connection didn't need attaching, as they just clip together.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh dear, cassettes are the new vinyl

Oh no definitely not.
Driving around and teaching the kids lazy racial stereotyping while listening to Panjab Radio, is the new vinyl. :lolol:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
dab is all well and good but if you have a weak signal, instead of getting hissing and faint signal through the speakers the whole signal goes and you have nothing, rather like trying to watch a buffering stream of football.

When I lived in woodingdean I bought a dab tuner for the house and loved it. Had loads of channels. Then I moved to Burgess Hill and with the same set up I could only get 5!, now I live in Hassocks and I can't get any signal whatsoever. I might as well use it as a rather expensive door stop. Even with an extended aerial I can't receive anything.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
dab is all well and good but if you have a weak signal, instead of getting hissing and faint signal through the speakers the whole signal goes and you have nothing, rather like trying to watch a buffering stream of football.

When I lived in woodingdean I bought a dab tuner for the house and loved it. Had loads of channels. Then I moved to Burgess Hill and with the same set up I could only get 5!, now I live in Hassocks and I can't get any signal whatsoever. I might as well use it as a rather expensive door stop. Even with an extended aerial I can't receive anything.

I'm sure you have, but just in case, have you done an auto retune each time you moved?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Sounds like you've doubled the value of your motor [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION].

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sounds like you've doubled the value of your motor [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION].
That's not even a joke.

I'm going to have to start locking it now it's got a £70 wireless.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm sure you have, but just in case, have you done an auto retune each time you moved?

Yep. I've tried everything, even extending the aerial lead, it appears I live in a black hole for radio signal!

Even my fm signal is rubbish. When I'm not at an away game and I need to listen in I have to use my phone and sit by the window as I can't trail the aerial lead across the floor with a 2 year old running riot. Bloody nightmare....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here