Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

coffee pods

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I have just got a new job. It's going to entail working from home 4 days a week, and in London one day. If I'm going to have a home office, I want a coffee machine. I've messed around with proper espresso machines and the like in the past, now I just want a straight forward, quick and easy coffee pod thing. But which one? Nespresso? Tassimo? I have no idea. Help me NSC

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can't speak for the others as have not used them, but we have a Dolce Gusto one. Makes good coffee for what it is but the varieties are somewhat limited.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Coffee pods are MASSIVELY overpriced. The mark-up when compared to just using ground coffee is ridiculous.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As per [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION]
Again, tried the coffee pod fad with a Lavazza Modo Mia machine, pods got too expensive.
Reverted back to a Delonghi espresso machine using Sainsburys ground coffee, can't fault it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Can't speak for the others as have not used them, but we have a Dolce Gusto one. Makes good coffee for what it is but the varieties are somewhat limited.

I have one of these as well and it's rather good. As you say it is a little short on the variety but for normal coffee such as Americano it's good and better quality than the instant from the shops

The one I have takes a bit of getting used to with things like hot chocolate that require two pods

jonsey

Aug 5, 2011
North Sussex
I have just got a new job. It's going to entail working from home 4 days a week, and in London one day. If I'm going to have a home office, I want a coffee machine. I've messed around with proper espresso machines and the like in the past, now I just want a straight forward, quick and easy coffee pod thing. But which one? Nespresso? Tassimo? I have no idea. Help me NSC

Nespresso all the way, buy the pods from the Nespresso site, much better value than Amazon.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd recommend getting a "bean to cup" coffee machine, we have one in our office

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LB8FHJ4/ref=psdc_10706951_t1_B0036TDF6I

It's just as easy as using pods. All you need to do is fill up the water and beans occasionally. It's obviously more expensive but you'll soon recoup that in the money you save from buying beans instead of pods. (It's also a lot more environmentally friendly, if that's a box you want to tick)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nespresso is what we have but it's always worth making sure your machine is compatiable with the work machine if you know what I mean !

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
If you like coffee then you may as well do it properly...

1 x Hario v60 dripper and box of paper filters (£6)
1 x Ceramic burr grinder (decent one is about £25 tops)
1 x your choice of beans

I used Nespresso (Nescafe) for a long time, but frankly it's not great compared to real coffee. I get freshly roasted beans (in the post!) from Pact, grind them up as I need them. If you absolutely must go with a pod solution, then I'd suggest Tassimo. I haven't used it but you can get hot choc, teas etc as well as coffee and the machines in general seem cheaper than Nespresso.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Aeropress is nice and easy and you can use any filter coffee. Don't use our Tassimo since getting it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Like OP I had decent DeLonghi with frother. Agree great but after a while they leak (had one replaced and second eventually went same way) and preparing then cleaning became a chore.

Then went Tassimo. DO NOT GO NEAR THEM! If you don't want to use cold/no milk, you have to use their longlife milk pods. Yuck and makes it very expensive!

Nespresso CitiZ (with milk aerator) is excellent. Milk aerator does hot or cold froth (if you want iced coffee).

On cost of pods, apart from the Nespresso ones it comes with (and still have unused voucher from when bought), I get imitations available at all supermarkets, and Lidl's are also good. Most c30p per cup/Lidl I think about 18p.

Oh and it looks stylish and comes in a few cool colours.

But whatever you decide DO NOT GO TASSIMO!!!

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I have a little a Nespresso machine on my desk at work as I got fed up with paying £2.20 at the in-house Starbucks for an Americano.

Saved myself a fortune and get to annoy the **** out if all those around me for 10 seconds, 2 or 3 times a day.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I have a little a Nespresso machine on my desk at work as I got fed up with paying £2.20 at the in-house Starbucks for an Americano.

Saved myself a fortune and get to annoy the **** out if all those around me for 10 seconds, 2 or 3 times a day.
That reminds me - about time I caught up with the Bell Cheeses thread. I may even feature now...

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
Nespresso - the choice is fantastic and if you can be bothered to sign up and order through nespresso rather than Amazon you will make it financially effective too.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Nespresso - the choice is fantastic and if you can be bothered to sign up and order through nespresso rather than Amazon you will make it financially effective too.

And far more financially efficient if you use imitation pods. I don't notice a great difference in taste from the real thing to any of the imitations I've tried, and the financial saving over a year is huge.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill

Although Tassimo (which I love by the way, although I am aware not everybodies cup of tea, if you'll excuse the pun) have partnered up with Terracycle to recycle their discs (http://www.terracycle.co.uk/en-UK/brigades/the-tassimo-brigade-r ). Fortunately I literally drive past collection point on my way to work so easy for me to drop my used discs and packaging in, making me feel somewhat better for being so lazy in my coffee/tea making. Incidentally I went for Tassimo in the first place because I was primarily a tea drinker and the English Breakfast tea pods were at least passable, but now drink mainly coffee.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patreon
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Spot on, although there's enough variety for me

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here