Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5-1 Even Heskey scored

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wow! Definately one of my favourite ever nights in football - the nature of it was just so special. The team we had then - well the individuals anyway, were quite something.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Jeewiz

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just look at the players like France 98,they never pushed-on and i don't know why but look at the quality Scholes v Wilshere,Owen v Welbeck,Sterling. Shearer v Kane,Seaman v Hart,Beckham,Neville do i need to go on ? However i think if we poured another 15,20 Billion into football via Sky we might win something ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was 17 and I'm pretty sure this was the first England game I'd watched in a pub. By the time the fifth goal went in there was beer EVERYWHERE, the ceiling was soaked!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Heskey.......mmmmmmm.....could do a job?

Capture.JPG

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Germans did qualify though and reached yet another world cup final. England, quarter final defeat as usual or slightly better than today standards.

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Northampton away on the Friday night, straight in the car, a quick stop in East Grinstead to pick up a mate, then a direct drive to Munich. Probably my best night ever following England.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What a day that was. I remember me and my mates went to the pub in the afternoon to watch the Ireland v Holland qualifier first, so we were a little tipsy come kick off. The Owen equaliser sobered us up, I nearly hyperventilated after the Gerrard goal. After the Heskey goal we were genuinely asking each other if this was actually happening. I also remember after getting home in the early hours discovering the sad news that the football commentator Brian Moore had passed away.

I remember it like yesterday, not 15 years ago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
15 years, FFS.

Broadfield in Sheffield was rammed pre game. My local and the dodgiest but best pub ever at the time. I'd not had a bet but predicted Germany to score first, Owen to equalise and us to win two one. Distinctly remember Turkish Maz shouting "Jasp, you were wrong!" from the other side of the room (through a sea of mayhem) at me as the third went in and me shouting back "I know mate and I don't f*cking care!". The rest was just total carnage.

Brilliant.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I remember that well.
We watched the game at the Royal Oak in St James Street and went to the Escape Club after.
There was a bunch of Germans there who took umbridge at our celebrations and an altercation ensued.
As a result I ended up with a broken nose, shame as it had only been reset 8 months earlier.
We did get the better of them but there were casualties.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Me and my mate went. Strangest thing afterwards was walking back into town in the rain and hardly any England were celebrating. We had over 10k there but the atmosphere after you left the ground was very subdued. I think it was because no one could believe what they had just seen...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
http://englandbrighton.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/v-germany-192001_19.html

Still the best England game I have ever been to! Off to Slovakia via Hungry tonight and then a boat down teh Danube and back from Vienna! England away, yes the team may be **** but you cant beat the fun and games.

What a trip that was. As you mentioned it was all a bit surreal afterwards. I remember walking through the park to the metro station and waiting on the platform and it was relatively quiet because everyone was just looking at each other saying did that really just happen!?!? I had a couple of calls from back home and everywhere was buzzing but we were relatively sedate at the time.

Did sink in more after a couple of beers in that pizza place though!!

That fiesta was never the same after that trip, it was sent to the scrap heap in the sky not long afterwards. Trying to go up hill with the five of us plus luggage in the wagon in first gear with sparks in my rear view mirror is a memory that will never leave me.

Have a good/safe trip to Slovakia mate. Is the game being played in the same stadium we went to before? If so watch out for that ****ing police horse!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Me and my mate went. Strangest thing afterwards was walking back into town in the rain and hardly any England were celebrating. We had over 10k there but the atmosphere after you left the ground was very subdued. I think it was because no one could believe what they had just seen...

Remember it well. The German fans also seemed too embarrassed at the result, so it was a very weird, silent atmosphere from all of the fans afterwards.

Definitely the best England game I ever attended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here