Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Clonakilty,West Cork.

It's a delightful part of Ireland. I once hired a horse-drawn caravan for a week from a place in Clonakilty. A great way to see the area in slow motion. Go west, though, towards Skibbereen, Bantry and Glengarriff, not eastwards to Cork City..

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Clonakilty's great. Would recommend a trip down to Baltimore and catch the ferry over to Sherkin Island.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has any NSC user ever stayed or visited the area ? :wave:

Yes. Spent a new year there. Lovely place and the world's best black pudding. Get down to Cork as well.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Stayed at Inchadoney Island Spa for a wedding about 10 years ago superb.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Visit West Cork often, as friends live in Skibbereen. As has been mentioned, Baltimore/Sherkin Island and Glengarriff are worth a visit, not sure about Bantry, thought it was a bit of a dump myself, in comparison with other places in the area. I'd also recommend Castle Townshend, Ballydehob, Schull and Lough Hyne. along with a look at Jeremy Iron's orange castle on the edge of Roaringwater Bay. If you're passing through Cork City then the Franciscan Well brewery tap on North Quay would be on my itinerary.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yes. Its a bit of an awkward drive from Cork City, worth it for the scenery and the food. Even the supermarket deli counter in the Supervalu there is well beyond the norm. Its obviously seafood and blood pudding central but everything else is good too.

Stayed in a very high grade B&B called the Clonakilty Townhouse a few times. Not many B&Bs have lifts etc - its basically a hotel without a restaurant, and you don't need one with all the others in the town.

Larry Day

May 13, 2016
Haywards
Has any NSC user ever stayed or visited the area ? :wave:

Yes, went to a mate's wedding there. Stayed four nights. Wonderful place; attractive town, terrific pubs with high quality nosh and a decent pitch & putt course. Head out westwards for magnificent beaches. Beware the sea though, coldest I've ever swam in, and that was August.

JakyBF

Apr 19, 2016
Heathfield
Spent a lovely family holiday here a few years ago. The black pudding (as previously mentioned) is world famous. Check out Skibbereen too, not far from there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Thank-you for all your comments and as it stands Australia (one of our sons is there but we don't know for how much longer) The Scilly Isles and Southern Ireland are in the frame for 2017. We had a family holiday in Dingle a few years back and it was really rather good.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here