Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The US Open tennis 2016

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The last Grand Slam of the year and its been a good start for the British players in New York with Kyle Edmund and Johanna Konta through to the third round in the men's and women's singles respectively. Dan Evans and Andy Murray play today, starting at 4pm. Naomi Broady has got a very tough match against Agnieszka Radwanska at midnight.

Already plenty of shocks with Wimbledon finalist Milos Raonic and French Open ladies runner-up Garbine Muguruza both exiting.

I've had a couple of bets on Nishikori and Radwanska to win the tournament each-way (both 25/1). Anyone got any wagers to fill up time for the international break?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sexy Garbine won the French! But hasn't done anything since.

Tsvetana and Genie both are out, so my interest is over.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Sexy Garbine won the French! But hasn't done anything since.

Tsvetana and Genie both are out, so my interest is over.

Do you think that was gamemanship when Konta sank to her knees with Pironkova starting to get some momentum? I know she must have been feeling dizzy from the heat but it turned the match with the long break.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That was a very impressive result by Edmund in the 1st round. He's looking like he could be the real deal.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Do you think that was gamemanship when Konta sank to her knees with Pironkova starting to get some momentum? I know she must have been feeling dizzy from the heat but it turned the match with the long break.

Was watching it live and no way was it put on, very poor organisation not to get any medical help to her for five minutes - Djokovich has been playing on medical time outs for years to win titles and this was no way like what he does.

It happened 10 minutes into a long service game in 80% humidity and there have already been numerous drop outs due to the conditions.

Shame Giorgi is out, very much enjoy watching her play

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Was watching it live and no way was it put on, very poor organisation not to get any medical help to her for five minutes - Djokovich has been playing on medical time outs for years to win titles and this was no way like what he does.

Shame Giorgi is out, very much enjoy watching her play

It seems you have to be a 'name' to get medical treatment immediately. Couldn't see Serena or Maria Sharapova waiting that long if they needed help.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It seems you have to be a 'name' to get medical treatment immediately. Couldn't see Serena or Maria Sharapova waiting that long if they needed help.

Although apparently Court 13 is miles from anywhere (not that you would believe it being in the shadows of the Arthur Ashe) and the likes of those players would never be forced to go there. I was really surprised there was no medical crew on hand close by for an emergency.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Although apparently Court 13 is miles from anywhere (not that you would believe it being in the shadows of the Arthur Ashe) and the likes of those players would never be forced to go there. I was really surprised there was no medical crew on hand close by for an emergency.

Nothing's that far away at flushing meadows, not the size and spread of Wimbledon

Exciting start for the Brits! Think Murray will get to his 4th slam final of the season for sure.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Murray through in straight sets.

Play currently suspended. Hopefully at the right time for Nishikori at one set all and 4-4. Never heard of the Russian he's playing. Dope test him! :mad:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Went last night - saw the fancy new retractable roof in action as it started raining when Nadal was on court

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For me it has been spoilt by Genie AND Tsvetana going out so quickly.

Just have to cheer on Andy the Murray now. :albion2:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The last Grand Slam of the year and its been a good start for the British players in New York with Kyle Edmund and Johanna Konta through to the third round in the men's and women's singles respectively. Dan Evans and Andy Murray play today, starting at 4pm. Naomi Broady has got a very tough match against Agnieszka Radwanska at midnight.

Already plenty of shocks with Wimbledon finalist Milos Raonic and French Open ladies runner-up Garbine Muguruza both exiting.

I've had a couple of bets on Nishikori and Radwanska to win the tournament each-way (both 25/1). Anyone got any wagers to fill up time for the international break?

I don't fancy your bets. Nishikori is nowhere near in form to be winning this, and there are several better players than him anyway. As for Agie Radwanska, I like her a lot, but she struggled to get past Broady, so I wouldn't fancy her chances much, she doesn't have the game some of them do.

On the mens, the only one really in form is our boy, the others are all below par in one way or another. Rafa is not quite there, low on confidence, and still problems with his wrist. Djok is playing his way back, but he doesn't look quite there yet. Stan W is always a mystery, can be brilliant, can throw in a wobbler. Del Po is nearly back at his old self but I don't think quite up to this one - but he could prove me wrong. I've heard some of the commentators says it's Murrays to lose, but I don't like thinking like that - I just hope he can pull it off.

On the womens side, well you'd be a fool to look past Serena, she really, really wants to overtake Steffi Grafs record, but having said that she is more than capable of having a shocker - and the shorter format of the womens game is unforgiving. Konta can beat anyone on her day, if she's recovered from Wednesday, she may go deep into the tournament, but can't see her winning it - but I'm sure she will win a slam, she is a real player, and getting better.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I don't fancy your bets. Nishikori is nowhere near in form to be winning this, and there are several better players than him anyway. As for Agie Radwanska, I like her a lot, but she struggled to get past Broady, so I wouldn't fancy her chances much, she doesn't have the game some of them do.

On the mens, the only one really in form is our boy, the others are all below par in one way or another. Rafa is not quite there, low on confidence, and still problems with his wrist. Djok is playing his way back, but he doesn't look quite there yet. Stan W is always a mystery, can be brilliant, can throw in a wobbler. Del Po is nearly back at his old self but I don't think quite up to this one - but he could prove me wrong. I've heard some of the commentators says it's Murrays to lose, but I don't like thinking like that - I just hope he can pull it off.

On the womens side, well you'd be a fool to look past Serena, she really, really wants to overtake Steffi Grafs record, but having said that she is more than capable of having a shocker - and the shorter format of the womens game is unforgiving. Konta can beat anyone on her day, if she's recovered from Wednesday, she may go deep into the tournament, but can't see her winning it - but I'm sure she will win a slam, she is a real player, and getting better.

I could be proved wrong here but Murray has played so much high-profile tennis in the last few months that he could come a cropper against someone unexpected. Just a feeling. I know Nishikori hasn't played well yet but who could have predicted him making the final two years ago? Jack Sock is an interesting player; he'll give Marin Cilic a good battle today.

As for the women as Serena gets older and older, the pressure on her to beat records is added burden on her shoulders. I've got a good feeling about Radwanska - after the first set she played more freely against Naomi Broady. She's got a lot of players that haven't fulfilled their potential near her in the draw. Venus is doing brilliantly for her age but if it was a quarter-final, Rad would fancy her chances.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
It really is Andy's to lose this year. This is interesting as there probably hasn't been a grand slam where he's been the outright favourite. He looked a little shaky at times yesterday - especially his serve - but he often improves after every match at grand slams. Novak will be will up there but he's low on confidence after Wimbledon and the Olympics.

As for the women's game you do always favour Serena to win. Although if she gets knocked out early then it can really become anyone's game given the inconsistency of many top female players. Kerber is looking good too.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Jack Sock is an interesting player; he'll give Marin Cilic a good battle today.

What a performance by Socky. Straight sets win to knock out the seventh seed. This guy has got a great future ahead of him. I had a little bet at 12/5. :)

Novak Djokovic on next.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Radwanska was pretty ordinary against Broady. The British girl has a lovely backhand action but a tame forehand.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
What could help Novak Djokovic if he goes deep in the tournament is that he has now won his last 2 matches on retirements. Jiri Vesely didn't even start his match against him and today Mikhail Youzhny only managed 6 games before shaking hands. That means he goes into the second week very fresh, albeit a little under-cooked.

A couple of big names have already gone out of the men's draw - Raonic and now Cilic, who came in having just won in Cincinnati, beating Murray in the final.

Another good win for Jo Konta. Every chance of making the quarter-finals for her, where she would face either Madison Keys or Caroline Wozniacki.

Kyle Edmund and Dan Evans have both done really well too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here