Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle, Villa, Norwich - a post-Transfer Window Review...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just to get the parachute payments point clear first up - the worst case scenario for these sides is that they'll each trouser £40mill parachute payment in 2016/17, another £33mill in 2017/18 and £14mill in 2018/19.

Newcastle: Players Out: 20, Players In: 12. Money Spent: £57mill. Money Received: £86mill

Sold most of their big names but held on to Shelvey, Tiote and Mitrovic, loaned out most of their deadwood, kept the decent younger players, brought in quality like Ritchie, Gayle, Diame, Ciaran Clark, Hanley. A text book window from them, with their home support they're nailed on to go up.

Villa: Players Out: 14, Players In: 9, Money Spent: £53mill, Money Received: £20mill.

Didn't have any big names to start with so no great losses but have recruited successful Championship players: Elphick, McCormack, Kodjia, Adomah, De Laet, Jedinak plus decent signing in James Chester and they still have the mercurial Jack Grealish. They've also managed to shift a lot of deadwood and have been left with a better squad than they had last season in the Prem. Well-placed to kick on from here.

Norwich: Players out: 19, Players in: 6 Money spent: £10.5mill, Money Received: £10.5 mill. They shipped out a lot of fringe players and kept the score of their squad, their only big loss is Redmond but they've brought in Pritchard, Canos and Nelson Oliveira. The squad looks strong but if there's a sign things are going stale they can spend big in the January window to put that right.

When you consider what we're up against I think Bloom was absolutely right to hang onto our best players. It's a miracle we're even in the hunt when you consider the cash resources the relegated three have - our best chance is to hang in there and hope the weight of expectation causes them to falter.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Did Newcastle spend that much? I couldn't see figures for most of their deals when I had a look. They've still done well to make a big profit.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Well, at least £8m+ of Norwich's spend was on a sicknote. 😂

Think Newcastle look good.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Excellent summary there of the main rivals . However we have the huge advantage of having a side that can play together and understands what it takes . We ve also got a number of players valued around the £10million mark - which has never happened before . Plus a stronger defence than he others - it should be fun anyway . International break is a complete pain though

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Daunting when you then consider the money Wolves , Derby and Wednesday can throw about.

Top 6 would be an achievement although we all know how that ends.

If we can stay in the hunt for top 2 until Jan then hopefully we can also have a little gamble like all the sides at the top will do.

It will get harder each year.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Wow. So the 3 teams relegated from the premier league spent between them over £110m and sold £116m worth of players. Plus they receive the parachute payments.

Unreal that we are even in or around the play offs most years!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think the Norwich in figures are incorrect?

Wasn't it Canos £2.5m, Oliveira £5m and Pritchard £8.5m?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Large budgets are only apart of it Derby splash the cash every year and fail we have a good squad built from the back. Stockdale just needs to find his form again and we will be fine.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This is where is all wrong, Newcastle have sold many of their big earners due to relegation (quite right) bought cheaper players to replace them made a big profit and STILL get a free £40M.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Wow. So the 3 teams relegated from the premier league spent between them over £110m and sold £116m worth of players. Plus they receive the parachute payments.

Unreal that we are even in or around the play offs most years!

To put it in context, figures I saw said whole of Football League spent £200m. So those three accounted for more than half of the spend of 72 clubs.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Oliveira was undisclosed - it might have been £ 5 mill but then there are some other undisclosed figures they received for players they sold. The point is that Norwich pretty much broke even on the window so their £40mill parachute payment is still intact. Canos was £2m-£2.5 mill depending on your source, ditto Pritchard at £8m-£8.5m.

The hope with Norwich is that somehow Alex Neil loses the dressing room - there are a lot of established Prem players there who will be kicking their heels in the Championship and he's on the back of a relegation. The 3-0 drubbing at the hands of Birmingham offers us some hope.

Managers that normally do well in the Championship are battle-hardened like Steve Bruce, Dyche, Pearson Hughton himself and Di Matteo has been out of the game for a long time and he has a major rebuilding job there at Villa. It could be too much for him and he still has a few jokers at the club like Agbonlahor. I expect them to have a decent second half to the season as the new 1st XI knits together but, again, the 3-1 loss to a Kodjia-less Bristol City suggests it may take time.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This is where is all wrong, Newcastle have sold many of their big earners due to relegation (quite right) bought cheaper players to replace them made a big profit and STILL get a free £40M.

I also found it wrong that Newcastle were able to hold out for the full £30m they wanted for Moussa Sissoko and it was being reported on Sky Sports News that they were prepared to accept 6 payments of £5m for him, rather than an upfront fee.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I think at least one of them will sack their manager before Christmas as they will be well off of the pace

Wouldn't surprise me if Neil and Di Matteo don't make Christmas.

Mate of mine is a Villa fan and said they've been the better side in all games, but can't turn them in to wins. I explained that isn't unusual in the championship, but if wins don't come the confidence will go and the chances will start to dry up.

Can see Villa being marooned in mid-table.

Don't think the players have much belief in Neil at Norwich. He doesn't seem to have a style of play or much of a game plan. Can see unrest happening if things don't pick up soon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we might be flying under the radar again...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I don't think Norwich have a chance in hell of going up. Alex Neil did OK with CH's team for a couple of years. Now that it has predominantly been dismantled and he will struggle.

Can anyone name anyone who has been signed by Alex Neil who can be considered a success story ?

Pritchard may become a success but I think Norwich recruitment team hung on to CH's coat tails on that signing and hi-jacked it. Alex Neil would not know a good player if he came up and punched him in the eye

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I would be happy to sneak 6th this year but hitting form just at the right time and go up that way.

After the constant semi-final heart breaks, expectations of us choking or running out of luck will be sky high and it'll be the day out at Wembley to beat them all :drink::clap::ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here