Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changing Mobile provider...any advice...

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
My O2 contract expires on Sept 25. The iPhone6 will then be mine. Is there a cunning plan to get a better deal with O2 or with another provider. Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to negotiate the next contract

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Go sim free, use a market comparison site. Expect to pay £10-£15 per month probably for more than you get now

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I was with o2 for years, when I wanted a new phone they were absolute scrooges, offered me a handful of awful deals. Went to EE and got a free handset, cheaper bill and more allowances on my tariff. Have you got your heart set on the iPhone 6? The 5se is a very good phone, offers the same spec as the 6 in a smaller handset.

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
If your happy with the o2 network ,just get a gift gaff SIM card
£15 a month 4G ,900 mins ,unlimited text and 4 gb of data
Never had a problem in 5 years .

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
If your happy with the o2 network ,just get a gift gaff SIM card
£15 a month 4G ,900 mins ,unlimited text and 4 gb of data
Never had a problem in 5 years .

Can't compare giffgaff to 02 just because giffgaff use the 02 network. Giffgaff definitely slower and uses a watered down version, I was with them for 5 years.

Currently with EE £15 payg unlimited texts, 250 mins calls and 2gb of data but looking at 3 who do a similar deal at £9pm. Anyone use 3?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I recently got unlimited calls and texts and 16gb data at 4g+ with ee for £19 a month on a one year contract.

I don't know if deals like this are still around?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The answer to this really depends on your usage, and whether by 'The iPhone 6 will then be mine' you mean you have one now and will soon own it outright, or that you currently don't have one but desire one as part of your next deal?

If you've got the handset already then absolutely the best bit is sim-only, pay as you go on any of the carriers. Just choose the bundle that makes most sense for you and switch about as appropriate (most of them advise you if you are on a bundle higher than you need). If you travel around Europe much then Three are probably the best bet, otherwise base it on the service you get in the most important places to you (home / work / Amex)

If you have not got the handset then frankly it doesn't make much difference, personally I buy it outright and go sim only as I don't want to pay £50 per month. But in reality the price is about the same after the contract has run it's course (as long as you get off it ASAP once it's paid for).

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I was with o2 for years, when I wanted a new phone they were absolute scrooges, offered me a handful of awful deals. Went to EE and got a free handset, cheaper bill and more allowances on my tariff. Have you got your heart set on the iPhone 6? The 5se is a very good phone, offers the same spec as the 6 in a smaller handset.

I am with EE and can confirm that they are the same as O2 in that regard.

They are brilliant when joining and then stingy at 'upgrade'. I guess it is just all of them and the way they operate. I ended up going all the way through their cancellations process to get a borderline acceptable deal

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I've got a SIM only deal with Virgin, they are not quite there yet with 4G, but end of year I have been told.
I pay £6 a month for 1GB data usage, 250 minutes talk time and free texts, which suits me fine.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005

I was about to switch to a SIM only using this site which gives 1000 mins, 5000 texts & 1.5GB of data for £5.95 a month, with a 1 month rolling contract. When I told EE, they couldn't complete but were telling me "LIFE" the network I would using, is effectively still EE but is only 3G

Is 3G noticeably slower than 4G? Stupid question, but I assume no effect when using WIFI?

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
You will always pay over the odd's when it comes to getting an IPhone as they are the "in" thing.

Think about getting a mid range Samsung A5, will be a lot cheaper and will still perform to all required needs.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Got Giff Gaff SIMS for both my sons and was so impressed switched myself. I spend a lot of time in France and can still use the internet allowance against my monthly limit at the same cost per m/b. Even better, I can change my package each month to suit my needs.

Finally I can call or text anyone else on Giff Gaff for free.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Can't compare giffgaff to 02 just because giffgaff use the 02 network. Giffgaff definitely slower and uses a watered down version, I was with them for 5 years.

Currently with EE £15 payg unlimited texts, 250 mins calls and 2gb of data but looking at 3 who do a similar deal at £9pm. Anyone use 3?

I use ID Mobile that piggybacks on the 3 network, no real issues coverage seems good, get 500 mins, 5000 text and 4GB data (4G) for £10. Its also on a monthly rolling contract so can leave with a months notice at anytime.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Here's some advice, don't go into the Three store whilst still pissed from the night before looking for an upgrade, my contract doubled 😡

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If you travel abroad Three are amazing. Their 'Feel At Home' deal allows you to carry on using your phone to make and receive calls to UK and use your data for the internet within your allowance. The countries included France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Germany, USA, Australia and NZ and a load more from next week. It takes some beating if you travel abroad.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If you travel abroad Three are amazing. Their 'Feel At Home' deal allows you to carry on using your phone to make and receive calls to UK and use your data for the internet within your allowance. The countries included France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Germany, USA, Australia and NZ and a load more from next week. It takes some beating if you travel abroad.

VERY slow data and doesn't cover Greece, other than that, it's good.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I was about to switch to a SIM only using this site which gives 1000 mins, 5000 texts & 1.5GB of data for £5.95 a month, with a 1 month rolling contract. When I told EE, they couldn't complete but were telling me "LIFE" the network I would using, is effectively still EE but is only 3G

Is 3G noticeably slower than 4G? Stupid question, but I assume no effect when using WIFI?

3G is theoretically much slower than 4G. But once again, it really depends on what you are trying to do as to whether that matters to you. If you are on a wireless network then 3G/4G doesn't matter at that point. If you are browsing NSC or reading emails, 3G is still fine. I'm assuming you have a 4G capable phone, because if not then it's even less relevant :)

theboybilly

In the past I've been with One-2-One, Vodafone (for a fair few years) O2 and now 3Mobile and can thoroughly recommend 3Mobile. If nothing else I've never had a surprise bill at the end of the month. Their 'Feel at Home' facility is a great thing to have (nice to hear they're extending it too). Very good customer service in my experience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here