Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

According to the Telegraph we've voted to ban the Burqa

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Henry Stewart said:
No woman in a burqa (or a hijab or a burkini) has ever done me any harm. But I was sacked (without explanation) by a man in a suit. Men in suits missold me pensions and endowments, costing me thousands of pounds. A man in a suit led us on a disastrous and illegal war. Men in suits led the banks and crashed the world economy. Other men in suits then increased the misery to millions through austerity. If we are to start telling people what to wear, maybe we should ban suits.

:thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good. It should be banned.

I can't say I've got strong opinions on this subject one way or the other. There are good arguments on both sides. I would just err on the side of caution simply because our tolerance as a nation hasn't done us much harm.

When you consider the number of illegal wars we have waded into compared to the number of domestic terror attacks from fundamentalists as a response, I'd say we do alright, and that is largely down to the tolerance of our people IMO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I can't say I've got strong opinions on this subject one way or the other. There are good arguments on both sides. I would just err on the side of caution simply because our tolerance as a nation hasn't done us much harm.

When you consider the number of illegal wars we have waded into compared to the number of domestic terror attacks from fundamentalists as a response, I'd say we do alright, and that is largely down to the tolerance of our people IMO.

Here endeth the thread :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think shorts for blokes with too white legs should be banned. I find it offensive.

I also think those misshapen items people buy from Sports Direct should be banned and the consumers sent on a self-awareness and self-pride course.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Why? It is not a religious decision but a cultural one. It's a free choice and we are a free Country. They should be allowed to wear what they want.

Don't you enjoy that freedom because a bunch of men decided there was an ideology in Europe that wasn't compatible with the British way of life so they went and fought it?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The bloke behind me is a muslim, a sound bloke, and very moderate. His wife chooses to wear a burkha, he doesn't care whether she does one way or the other. It is indeed a free choice.

Serious question, how do you define him as a moderate Muslim, how moderate can someone be if others and him defines himself through his religion and his wife wears a burkha in 21st century Britain ??

I wouldnt lend the term moderate to any colleagues from any other religion that so demonstrably show their allegiance to their religion.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The bloke behind me is a muslim, a sound bloke, and very moderate. His wife chooses to wear a burkha, he doesn't care whether she does one way or the other. It is indeed a free choice.

I think you could certainly argue that it's not always a free choice, even in this country. However, for many, as you say, it genuinely is a free choice, and they should not be penalised because some women are forced to wear it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Serious question, how do you define him as a moderate Muslim, how moderate can someone be if others and him defines himself through his religion and his wife wears a burkha in 21st century Britain ??

I wouldnt lend the term moderate to any colleagues from any other religion that so demonstrably show their allegiance to their religion.
Who said he defines himself through his religion? And who are you to decide he isn't moderate just because his wife wears a burkha? You don't even know him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here