Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Striker Issue!!

Irish Gin

Oct 20, 2014
Brighton
For a number of years now, we seem to have a real striker issue - that we can't seem to sign them! Has someone cast a spell over the Amex or something??

Every August & January we go through this - "We couldn't compete" etc etc etc.

Only Ulloa, Hemed (Debatable) and Murray have been good signings for us, who can score goals. The rest seem to be panic signings who can't cut the mustard.

But we never have enough fire power! Its the same every blinking year - What the hell is going to happen when Muzza gets injured! Baldock.......!!!!!

Bloom - You need to take a gamble (no pun intended) mate - this is what other clubs do, Gray, Kodja etc etc....

Wake UP!!!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is it just me that is VERY happy with the way the club is being run and thinking Bloom is spunking enough of his cash that I don't feel I can complain about anything?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Is it just me that is VERY happy with the way the club is being run and thinking Bloom is spunking enough of his cash that I don't feel I can complain about anything?

No not just you. The Hyppia debacle aside we have built a perennially competitive championship side over the last five years, with the one we have now by far and away the most talented that we have seen in decades. I think we will compete again this year too.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why the question mark over Hemed? He scored 17 in his first season in the Championship? By far our top goalscorer? Weird.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

This is true, we do have a very good squad with cover in every position except for the strikers. I am personally a bit gutted that we couldn't get one on board but I am not complaining or suggesting that we are not trying. Signing strikers does seem to pose more problems for us than most teams in this league though...every transfer window. We have done well to get BZ and GM but they both wanted to come here.

I can only assume that we would have to break the wage structure to get the forwards we need and clearly in the long term that is not a good idea.

I think this lack of striker has reduced our chances of promotion to the play off lottery again. It says something about me that I am disappointed about that :lolol:

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Hemed is okey but not elite. You are forgetting he also took the penalties so 17 - 5 = 12 goals in open play. Okey but nothing spectacular.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia

If you are VERY happy you must think we were top scorers in the division last year with Baldock and Hemed starting and have improved things with a 30 goal a season striker in Murray.

You must also think we only missed automatic promotion by GD last season but have a much better starting striker plus improved our left back, third midfielder and possibly central defence - maybe four improvements in the starting lineup for our next away game.

Delusional (not you, the whiners)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The answer is out there;

Arsenal-Arsene-Wenger-AFC-Nicklas-Bendtner-Lord-Bendtner-564327.jpg

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

I'm quite happy to be honest, and am happy we don't buy players for the sake of buying players any more. People always moaned about Arsenal and how they weren't willing to spend money, but I respected them for being a club that always performed well and was well run financially. Now they have the money to spend, spend it, and the performances don't really improve, which does make them look a bit daft. While it would be nice to have one more striker, I'd much rather we didn't spend the money and end up with the same performance at the end of the season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you are VERY happy you must think we were top scorers in the division last year with Baldock and Hemed starting and have improved things with a 30 goal a season striker in Murray.

You must also think we only missed automatic promotion by GD last season but have a much better starting striker plus improved our left back, third midfielder and possibly central defence - maybe four improvements in the starting lineup for our next away game.

Delusional (not you, the whiners)

Nicely put. I think we've had a pretty good transfer window - we've kept all the squad together (including a gamble on Stephens, gambling that he won't sulk) and we've bought well and spent serious amounts of TB's money.
I think the problem for some of the fans complaining on here is that it hasn't been an exciting transfer window. We broke out record to bring in Duffy, but Duffy, although he may be many things, doesn't really rate high on the 'exciting big money buy' scale. We didn't manage to land that elusive second forward/number ten, but we did get Murray; that should have caused a bit more excitement than it appeared to - after all, enough people had been banging on on NSC for ages about how we must get Murray in. And he is a twenty goal a season striker, actually.
Oh well, the season starts in earnest here. I'm looking forward to it.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I've read so many negative comments and while I'm disappointed we didn't get the extra striker we were looking for, it would seem that the majority of people posting would have been satisfied if we'd simply splashed £10m + on any old striker that doesn't actually improve the quality of our squad. Like ourselves, other clubs have refused to sell to us for the players we've targeted. I can remember when we signed Skalak it was stated that he can play either out wide or in the number 10 role - I therefore think that CH and the Board would only entertain spending the money on buying someone who could actually fill the no.10 role better than the likes of Skalak, Knocky, Murphy or March. CH clearly feels we have the depth in our squad and play others in different roles without wasting millions on 'just another name'.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Glenn Murray has to seriously cut down on his fouling if he wants to be counted as one of our strikers.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've read so many negative comments and while I'm disappointed we didn't get the extra striker we were looking for, it would seem that the majority of people posting would have been satisfied if we'd simply splashed £10m + on any old striker that doesn't actually improve the quality of our squad. Like ourselves, other clubs have refused to sell to us for the players we've targeted. I can remember when we signed Skalak it was stated that he can play either out wide or in the number 10 role - I therefore think that CH and the Board would only entertain spending the money on buying someone who could actually fill the no.10 role better than the likes of Skalak, Knocky, Murphy or March. CH clearly feels we have the depth in our squad and play others in different roles without wasting millions on 'just another name'.

My tendency is towards this. Calling for another striker underestimates what we have already got.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm sure Knocky and Jiri will add up to a 20 goal striker with no problem whatsoever :albion2:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have 26 players :

20 are good enough to get us promotion.

2 not quite at the same level but won't let us down.

3 still have to prove themselves.

1 is now more of a coach.

That seems pretty excellent to me.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
For a number of years now, we seem to have a real striker issue - that we can't seem to sign them! Has someone cast a spell over the Amex or something??

Every August & January we go through this - "We couldn't compete" etc etc etc.

Only Ulloa, Hemed (Debatable) and Murray have been good signings for us, who can score goals. The rest seem to be panic signings who can't cut the mustard.

But we never have enough fire power! Its the same every blinking year - What the hell is going to happen when Muzza gets injured! Baldock.......!!!!!

Bloom - You need to take a gamble (no pun intended) mate - this is what other clubs do, Gray, Kodja etc etc....

Wake UP!!!

How many years are you going back?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here