Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we switch to 4-3-3?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I know I will be berated for this thread, given our success with 4-4-2, but weighing up the personnel in the squad perhaps it would be for the best. I don't really buy playing Knockaert/March in a number 10 position, play them in their best positions where they have proven themselves effective. Wasn't it in a 4-3-3 with Palace where Murray scored 30+ goals? Less emphasis on tracking back for the wingers so they can use more of their energy on attacking and putting good deliveries in the area. We also have a ready made holding midfielder in Norwood who has been successful in this position. A midfield of Stephens, Kayal and Norwood would also give us much solidity in tougher away games.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Two target men upfront iin Murray and Hemed need two wingers to service them. Has to be a 442 in my books.

We have quality on the wings and they really must play.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Two target men upfront iin Murray and Hemed need two wingers to service them. Has to be a 442 in my books.

We have quality on the wings and they really must play.

Do you remember towards the end of 12-13 season under that combustible Uruguayan chap, we were desperate for wins and played a 4-5-1, with Barnes acting as the number 10 behind Ulloa rather than as an auxiliary number 10/ winger and also played two proper wingers?

We couldn't stop scoring and something similar would fit us know with Murray playing ahead of Baldock or Hemed as number 10.

However, if we can get the best out of Stephens, I'd still be playing 4-4-2.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
You're obviously talking about a 4-5-1 as we will have only 1 striker on the pitch.

If we cannot get enough goals with 2 strikers then how will we with only 1. 4-5-1 is a formation for teams trying to fight relegation or be tough to beat. We need to play to win games so will need to stick with 4-4-2.

Teams are built around partnerships so Hemed & Murray need time together and could work just like Shearer & Sherringham, no real pace but both scored goals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here