Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could March be the CAM?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Does anyone else think Solly March could make a good CAM?

He can play a pass, has a decent strike and good technical ability.. I don't really see what the £8 million-rated Alex Pritchard does that he doesn't...

If Solly plays as a CAM, we could line up with:

---------------------------------Stockdale---------------------------------
----Bruno---------Dunk-------Duffy/Goldson---Poco/Bong---
-----------------------Kayal-----------Stephens/Norwood-----------
----Knockaert-------------------------------------Skalak/Murphy----
----------------------------------March----------------------------------------
----------------------------Murray/Hemed---------------------------------

Could do a job? When he is back fully-fit, of course. Knocky has similar traits but his pace and dribbling ability would be wasted down the middle IMO.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
central attacking midfield. or aka forward, no10 or what ever else.

i hope there is something to this as we are short of any cover for Baldock, to link midfield to frontman, be quick to press when losing posession and generally harry the opposition with or without the ball.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Spot on. The likes of him, Knocky, Elvis, Hambo, Harper, Tilley etc will have to step up. I don't include Towell as he was a deep lying midfielder at Dundalk with over 80% of his games he played central, not atop a diamond or behind a striker in the hole. The majority of his goals were from distance, late runs or free kicks. One assist in over 100 games tells a story.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Soz.

Central attacking midfielder.

Oh.
Not for me, no. I think Solly is more dangerous down the wing, not sure he has the all-round vision or intelligence to play in that no10 role. He's not someone who can unlock a defence with a pass IMO, we're better off utilising his pace and crossing ability. He can cut inside and cause problems from there as well.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
central attacking midfield. or aka forward, no10 or what ever else.

i hope there is something to this as we are short of any cover for Baldock, to link midfield to frontman, be quick to press when losing posession and generally harry the opposition with or without the ball.

This is the thing.. I've always been a staunch defender of Baldock but I am starting to doubt my defence of him a little bit. He is a hard-worker that pressures defences and runs into channels blah blah blah, but whether he contributes enough to the attacking threat is a different matter.

Maybe we would actually be better off starting with one striker with a playmaker in behind him and saving Baldock to come on when we're a goal or two to the good to harrow the opposition backline.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd love to have had Teixeira back for that role. Cracking little player, he'd have been ideal.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'd love to have had Teixeira back for that role. Cracking little player, he'd have been ideal.

I do think we missed out a bit there, he would've been perfect playing in a team that would actually support him.

He is a 'flair' or 'luxury' player without a doubt, in the same way Vicente was, but with the right players around him, I think he could've been a huge asset for us.

His chances of getting regular first-team football at Porto are pretty minimal.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe we would actually be better off starting with one striker with a playmaker in behind him and saving Baldock to come on when we're a goal or two to the good to harrow the opposition backline.

the issue with a "playmaker" is if they allow the defense to push up, and if they do they find themselves little space to make much play. stretching defense, pulling players out of position is as important as a killer pass, especially at this level.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Does anyone else think Solly March could make a good CAM?

He can play a pass, has a decent strike and good technical ability.. I don't really see what the £8 million-rated Alex Pritchard does that he doesn't...

If Solly plays as a CAM, we could line up with:

---------------------------------Stockdale---------------------------------
----Bruno---------Dunk-------Duffy/Goldson---Poco/Bong---
-----------------------Kayal-----------Stephens/Norwood-----------
----Knockaert-------------------------------------Skalak/Murphy----
----------------------------------March----------------------------------------
----------------------------Murray/Hemed---------------------------------

Could do a job? When he is back fully-fit, of course. Knocky has similar traits but his pace and dribbling ability would be wasted down the middle IMO.

I'd swap March and Knocky over, but either gives me hope.

Jimmy Grimble

I'm sure Oscar played March in a more central role quite often for us. Think he may have even said he wanted Solly as more of a central attacker. CH has only used him as a wide man if I recall correctly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Oh.
Not for me, no. I think Solly is more dangerous down the wing, not sure he has the all-round vision or intelligence to play in that no10 role. He's not someone who can unlock a defence with a pass IMO, we're better off utilising his pace and crossing ability. He can cut inside and cause problems from there as well.
This is think. Knocky is perhaps the better bet in that role. He's always racing across the middle anyway, and can beat a man. Put Solly on the wing.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Nope, Murray/Hemed are not mobile enough to play the lone striker role. Neither would pull defenders around to create the space. They will need a foil alongside them to make the most of attacks.

Alternatively they could play through the middle but coming onto balls from two advanced wingers who beat the full backs and supply balls into the box behind centre backs but it's been a long time since wingers would get to the byline and play a ball into the box. Wingers seem to want to beat a player several times before shooting themselves

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here