Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Money spent in the transfer window

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Is it me, or does the money being spent by clubs in the UK just seem totally nuts and like a game of Monopoly - something thats completely aside from the reality of everyday life to the majority of fans? :moo:

£30m seems to be 'normal' for a decent PL player nowadays. Ok so the player doesn't get that, but it is still the average annual wage of 1,100 people and 'we' the fans still fund it and have to shell out more for Sky, ST's etc.. so the clubs have that money to spend.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Is it me, or does the money being spent by clubs in the UK just seem totally nuts and like a game of Monopoly - something thats completely aside from the reality of everyday life to the majority of fans? :moo:

£30m seems to be 'normal' for a decent PL player nowadays. Ok so the player doesn't get that, but it is still the average annual wage of 1,100 people and 'we' the fans still fund it and have to shell out more for Sky, ST's etc.. so the clubs have that money to spend.

Where have you been for the last 20 odd years? Of course it's nuts, has been ever since the PL sold its soul to the highest bidders. It's just even more nuts now.

The only way it will go back to some kind of common sense is for the product to be less in demand, the money dried up. And that will only happen if the TV audiences and crowds stop going. The answer is in our collective hands, cease buying the product and the price will reduce. Simple really...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
36454-Young-Grey-Squirrel-with-pyramid-of-hazel-nuts-white-background.jpg

Have you just really stumbled on this view? The championship is the migrants camp where you look at the promise land and take great risks to make the jump,lots will end up washed up on the way but a few will get through to serve at the top table but with no chance of sitting at its head!
With such a leap between the two it will never be a healthy scenario,the premiere league has destroyed our two great cup competitions as well as the league football, I'm getting rid of sky and for several years not put any money into the Albions premiere dream. Football lives but not on the choppy waters between us and the streets of fools gold!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Have you just really stumbled on this view? The championship is the migrants camp where you look at the promise land and take great risks to make the jump,lots will end up washed up on the way but a few will get through to serve at the top table but with no chance of sitting at its head!
With such a leap between the two it will never be a healthy scenario,the premiere league has destroyed our two great cup competitions as well as the league football, I'm getting rid of sky and for several years not put any money into the Albions premiere dream. Football lives but not on the choppy waters between us and the streets of fools gold!

Good on you, Rev. I've got rid of Sky too and I'm not really missing it.

I honestly think there's a private gag going on with PSG and Chelsea - who takes David Luiz for a season. He's absolute crap.

Glad the madness is over.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It is madness that the Championship are now spending close to 10 million on a player and no one is shocked.

You can see why players let contracts run down now, think of the signing on fee if there is no transfer fee.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Look at that ambition shown by Newcastle and Mike Ashley. Prepared to spend £10m here and thither on their ever expensive squad. 12 new players!

Look at that lack of ambition show by TB . Not prepared to cough up £xm on a striker.

Newcastle actually made a net £30m profit on their dealings, Sissoko helped. Bloom effectively gave up £30m and will be subsidising a massive loss this year (turned down bids for our players, refused to let Stephens leave).

Who's ambitious ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet the teams who promised fans cheap away tickets/travel are now regretting it.

£200,000,000 doesn't go as far as it used too.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The crazy stat is the Football League stats. In total £200m has been spent in the Football League, which comes at about £2.7m per club. Except it doesn't, because £120m of that comes from Norwich, Villa and Newcastle. That's ludicrous!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here