Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Manu over Baldock?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Is it worth playing Manu over Baldock in the next couple of months? Given the club has spectacularly failed to sign another striker, and Baldock has proved his ineptitude at putting the ball in the net at this level, surely it's better to try Elvis? He may get caught offside 5/6 times a game but perhaps might improve with game time?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is it worth playing Manu over Baldock in the next couple of months? Given the club has spectacularly failed to sign another striker, and Baldock has proved his ineptitude at putting the ball in the net at this level, surely it's better to try Elvis? He may get caught offside 5/6 times a game but perhaps might improve with game time?

Deckchairs. Titanic.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Skalak,he can finish..

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
I think it's worth giving Manu a run in the team. Give him 5 games to see how he does. His unpredictability might cause defenders more of a problem than Baldock has done.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Once everyone is available, I think it will be March on the right, Skalak or Murphy on the left and Knockaert in the number 10 role behind Murray. Knockaert already has 3 goals this season and is possibly our best finisher (along with Murray). Makes sense to me.

This is something I was saying a couple of weeks ago, Knocky is perfect for it, but we need March, Murphy, Skalak AND Kaz as our wide options.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Once everyone is available, I think it will be March on the right, Skalak or Murphy on the left and Knockaert in the number 10 role behind Murray. Knockaert already has 3 goals this season and is possibly our best finisher (along with Murray). Makes sense to me.

I'd keep Knockaert out wide personally. That's where he is most dangerous. Skalak can play at no.10 (well at least that was the shout when he joined us) might be worth giving him a go behind the main striker. Only problem is he not particularly quick but has good passing and vision.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This is something I was saying a couple of weeks ago, Knocky is perfect for it, but we need March, Murphy, Skalak AND Kaz as our wide options.

Agreed. The four you mention are decent as wide options. Knockaert is the best finisher so logically should be the number 10 as they will get the most chances.

If we go for March and Skalak on the wings, I might go with Skalak on the right too having thought about it. If Skalak can cross on his natural right foot, I think that will help him, and March played well on the left last season.

scooter1

How soon is now?
March is on the way back from a serious knee injury, and I'd be surprised if he's anywhere near the first team before November. Equally IMHO we have better than him in Murphy, AK and Skalak. March started ok last season, but to get back to full fitness and form will take a good few months(if indeed he can). I think there are too many on here who are placing too much reliance on March at this point in his recovery.
With regard to Manu getting a 5 game run to get bedded in....... No chance, it won't happen. There is too much at stake, and whilst Baldock doesn't score enough, the team work that he puts in keeps him leagues ahead of Manu, who just isn't that kind of player
All just my opinions..

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Baldock is a MUCH better player than Manu will ever be; Baldock has a footballing brain, Manu does not.

I honestly can't think of any occasion (when both fit and available) that I'd choose Elvis over Sam.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Baldock is a MUCH better player than Manu will ever be; Baldock has a footballing brain, Manu does not.

I honestly can't think of any occasion (when both fit and available) that I'd choose Elvis over Sam.

All opinions I guess. I have the complete opposite view. If Manu was given a run in the starting 11 I reckon he'd turn out to be immense. Unfortunately everyone seems to have an irrational hatred towards him.
Baldock has had so many chances and has done very little to suggest anything other than he is a League 1 striker. I see him as a poor mans CMS, and feel it's a shame we continually waste a shirt on him.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
All opinions I guess. I have the complete opposite view. If Manu was given a run in the starting 11 I reckon he'd turn out to be immense. Unfortunately everyone seems to have an irrational hatred towards him.
Baldock has had so many chances and has done very little to suggest anything other than he is a League 1 striker. I see him as a poor mans CMS, and feel it's a shame we continually waste a shirt on him.

I'm not saying that Manu can't be effective; with the pace he's got he certainly could be and I don't doubt that he could chip in with the odd break-away goal here and there but it's not just about pace. It's about movement, vision and awareness of what's going on around you and so far Manu hasn't shown any of those characteristics in my view. Baldock lacks goals and for a striker that's a problem, but he does have the other attributes mentioned above which is why he'd get my pick over the pace of Manu everytime.

And to call Baldock "a poor mans CMS" is incredibly harsh! :smile:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Cannot remember the last time I saw Baldock in the box.
Went to Newcastle and the only shot he had was the kick off.
Our wingers are better than Baldock and Manu.
More importantly teams will copy the Toons and mark AK out of the game if he is wide.
Let him play in the gap behind the striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here