Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't understand the club's stance...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yes, we have kept hold of our best players, however Murray and Hemed will not work together as a strike partnership and Baldock doesn't score anywhere near frequently enough. Why bother keeping Stephens and Kayal on the final year of their contracts if we aren't going to invest in someone to score the goals? Doesn't make any sense to me, our failure to sign a striker means top 6 at the very best, and we will most likely lose two of our best players at the end of the season for no money.

Sell them or sign a goalscorer, no point hovering in between...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, we have kept hold of our best players, however Murray and Hemed will not work together as a strike partnership and Baldock doesn't score anywhere near frequently enough. Why bother keeping Stephens and Kayal on the final year of their contracts if we aren't going to invest in someone to score the goals? Doesn't make any sense to me, our failure to sign a striker means top 6 at the very best, and we will most likely lose two of our best players at the end of the season for no money.

Explaining why we'll be lucky to finish midtable and assume we'll be in the play-offs makes for some odd reading.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
This is a better squad than last season.

Brighton were the highest championship goal scorers last season. Joint with Burnley on 72 goals. The only difference is literally Zamora and Wilson being swapped for Murray in the striker department. I'd back Murray to score more than those he replaced...

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I'm sure we have tried. Just maybe other clubs haven't wanted to sell their best players either. Or maybe clubs want to much. Or maybe players want more cash. Whatever I'm sure we have been looking for that number 10 since Pritchard didn't happen. No point buying a player we don't want. The other problem the value of strikers is mental again this summer. McCormack, Gayle, kodija all gone for well in excess of 10 million quid. Pritchard went to Norwich for more than we were going to pay and I doubt he will even be in 1st 11 if he's ever fit. The 5/6 Million we were going to spend only gets you potential now not a proven scorer

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath

This with knobs on! Makes no sense to me either!

Vydra, Martin, Murphy even leFondre all moved but we brought in nobody when this was the crucial piece of the jigsaw!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I think it's reasonable to assume that TB and the club are at least as keen as any fans on NSC, and probably more so than many, to get the Albion promoted at the earliest possible opportunity, and have a better idea than anyone on here about what's possible within the resources at the club's disposal, and are working their a****s off behind the scenes to get us the best possible squad for the season ahead. If their preferred options don't come off, it won't be for lack of effort or judgement on their part. So I'm content to let them get on with it, make the necessary decisions and go through with any necessary negotiations, and just wait and see what the final outcome is. If it's the squad we've currently got, so be it - I still think, given our relative lack of spending power that we've got a quality squad with a lot of depth and are still in with a decent chance of promotion, with no further additions (and without Stephens, if he ends up going..)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Its hardly a stance.

stance.png

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
This with knobs on! Makes no sense to me either!

Vydra, Martin, Murphy even leFondre all moved but we brought in nobody when this was the crucial piece of the jigsaw!
Not the types of players we are looking for bar Vydra who was well over priced based on his last season and no doubt miles out of our wage bracket

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
This is a better squad than last season.

Brighton were the highest championship goal scorers last season. Joint with Burnley on 72 goals. The only difference is literally Zamora and Wilson being swapped for Murray in the striker department. I'd back Murray to score more than those he replaced...

And when Murray gets injured or banned?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Explaining why we'll be lucky to finish midtable and assume we'll be in the play-offs makes for some odd reading.

Where do I assume that we'll make the top 6? I said top 6 at the very best, assuming none of our 3 strikers get injured for the entire season and Knockaert/March chip in with 15/20 goals combined.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Clubs like Forest & Derby have squads containing 6 or 7 strikers yet we regularly end transfer periods without signing the striker that we've supposedly spent the entire window chasing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've got a better team than we had for most of the first half of last season. We only signed a fourth striker in November so to say we'll be lucky to finish mid table is ridiculous.
Fingers crossed we can play Rotherham every week and not the likes of Newcastle and Derby.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What's that got to do with anything? We drew at Derby and, on another day, could have won. Newcastle are the best team in the league. What a pointless post.
Remind me, what stopped us from winning at Derby?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here