Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Postcode Lottery

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Costs you £10 a month and if you win it is divided by how many other people who have paid £10 as well in your postcode.
Surely it is better to find out everyone in your street who does the Postcode lottery and between you just buy one monthly ticket between you and divide the £10 between you and the winnings

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Costs you £10 a month and if you win it is divided by how many other people who have paid £10 as well in your postcode.
Surely it is better to find out everyone in your street who does the Postcode lottery and between you just buy one monthly ticket between you and divide the £10 between you

A syndicate. Perhaps get neighbours/friends with different postcodes to join in to increase chances.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Surely it is better to find out everyone in your street who does the Postcode lottery and between you just buy one monthly ticket between you and divide the £10 between you and the winnings

But if 10 people bought 1 tickets you are ten times less likely to win compared to 10 people buying a ticket each

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Surely it is better to not buy a ticket at all and spend the £10 on something more useful, like a lightbulb duster.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
All postcodes have an equal chance of winning regardless if one person buys a ticket or 1000 people buy a ticket at that postcode

Oct 25, 2003
their advertising makes it seem like the chariest thing ever, and I always get the impression that the 'winners' in the adverts are being brutally forced to participate

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
By that logic you should enter ever lottery, raffle and competition everywhere in the world, as you might win any one of them!

That was my dads logic when it came to competitions in newspapers and magazines. He'd enter every single one because that way you're more likely to win something you want.

In a 4-5 year spell he won holidays to Barbados & Prague, a weekend break to Madrid, ticket to movie screenings, a TV, seats in a box at Brighton and Goodwood races as well as at a couple of other sporting events etc etc as well as bundles and bundles of random shite that was looked at once so it can pay off.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
That was my dads logic when it came to competitions in newspapers and magazines. He'd enter every single one because that way you're more likely to win something you want.

In a 4-5 year spell he won holidays to Barbados & Prague, a weekend break to Madrid, ticket to movie screenings, a TV, seats in a box at Brighton and Goodwood races as well as at a couple of other sporting events etc etc as well as bundles and bundles of random shite that was looked at once so it can pay off.
That is because most people don't realise that so few people actually enter these competitions and you do have a very good chance of winning

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
That is because most people don't realise that so few people actually enter these competitions and you do have a very good chance of winning

For competitions that cost to enter but have a low prize value - e.g. 20p text radio competitions for something under £100 - your chances of winning are huge. When I was working in radio I saw competitions won by the only texter, or 'won' by a made up name because nobody at all entered.

My mother had a bit of a run on competition entries including a £1000 travel voucher from Tesco Clubcard - when £1000 was a significant amount and yet also when low cost flights had started so it funded at least three trips away. Then she got convinced she'd never win again and stopped entering, which rather ensures that.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
By that logic you should enter ever lottery, raffle and competition everywhere in the world, as you might win any one of them!

Not quite following your thinking there as there was no logic implied in my comment.

I'll try again for you and see if you can spot the logic in this.

Try telling a lottery winner that they would have been better off to not buy a ticket at all and spend the £10 on something more useful, like a lightbulb duster.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not quite following your thinking there as there was no logic implied in my comment.

I'll try again for you and see if you can spot the logic in this.

Try telling a lottery winner that they would have been better off to not buy a ticket at all and spend the £10 on something more useful, like a lightbulb duster.

You are more likely to die this week than win the lottery. Fact. The odds are better.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
You are more likely to die this week than win the lottery. Fact. The odds are better.

Ah true. But then you have to weigh up the rewards for each of these scenarios.

If you were to die, the rewards are completely uncertain. But if you win the lottery the rewards are clear and I think, entirely positive.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ah true. But then you have to weigh up the rewards for each of these scenarios.

If you were to die, the rewards are completely uncertain. But if you win the lottery the rewards are clear and I think, entirely positive.

I'd say completely the opposite. The results of dying are fairly obvious, whereas it has been proven again and again that money does not bring happiness, and winning the lottery can do different things to different people.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2007/jan/07/healthandwellbeing

http://www.money.co.uk/guides/how-the-lives-of-10-lottery-millionaires-went-disastrously-wrong.htm

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I'd say completely the opposite. The results of dying are fairly obvious, whereas it has been proven again and again that money does not bring happiness, and winning the lottery can do different things to different people.

The results of dying are known, but not the rewards.

And whilst you are probably right about money not bringing happiness, I wouldn't mind being known as 'that melancholy guy that drives the burnt orange Lamborghini Huracan'
:)

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
When i buy a lottery ticket I think of it as buying the dream. On the odd occasion a couple of quid allows my flights of fancy to take wing add daydreams of houses on the beach and lavish gifts to loved ones fill my quiet moments. I get my monies worth. And then I check my numbers and go back to reality until a few weeks or months later when i next tempt fate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here