Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Is there life on HD164595b?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm no space geek by any stretch, but I find this kind of thing quite exciting...

"An international team of scientists from the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is investigating mysterious signal spikes emitting from a 6.3-billion-year-old star in the constellation Hercules—95 light years away from Earth. The implications are extraordinary and point to the possibility of a civilization far more advanced than our own.

The unusual signal was originally detected on May 15, 2015, by the Russian Academy of Science-operated RATAN-600 radio telescope in Zelenchukskaya, Russia, but was kept secret from the international community. Interstellar space reporter Paul Gilster broke the story after the researchers quietly circulated a paper announcing the detection of “a strong signal in the direction of HD164595.”"

More: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-d...ible-extraterrestrial-signal-from-deep-space/

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not as catchy a title as Bowie's song...

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
In the utter vastness of the Universe, the chances of us being the only intelligent life in it are zero. In fact, its likely to be abundant with life.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
It may well end up being like the Wow signal, where it's very interesting for a while but no one can work out if its actual evidence of life or not because it never repeats. Hopefully the long term monitoring that's now being undertaken will show us the same signal again, or at least work out if there's an answer attributable to something else.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Do they have a striker that we can beam down before the deadline! Even then Norwich will probably change the coordinates and zap him to Carrow Road!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
8873011d0b77c13e620d79d0ae8392c0_large.jpeg

The implications are extraordinary and point to the possibility of a civilization far more advanced than our own
I

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm no space geek by any stretch, but I find this kind of thing quite exciting...

"An international team of scientists from the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is investigating mysterious signal spikes emitting from a 6.3-billion-year-old star in the constellation Hercules—95 light years away from Earth. The implications are extraordinary and point to the possibility of a civilization far more advanced than our own.

The unusual signal was originally detected on May 15, 2015, by the Russian Academy of Science-operated RATAN-600 radio telescope in Zelenchukskaya, Russia, but was kept secret from the international community. Interstellar space reporter Paul Gilster broke the story after the researchers quietly circulated a paper announcing the detection of “a strong signal in the direction of HD164595.”"

More: http://observer.com/2016/08/not-a-d...ible-extraterrestrial-signal-from-deep-space/

I believe that this one has already been found likely to be a false reading:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...term=Autofeed&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2016-Echobox

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I am sure i read something about a microwave at the station. Will have to try and find it...maybe I am going mad or confusing it for something else though!

Ah! These are Perytons! Weird things. Caused by people opening microwaves while they were still on, but took em 17 years to work it out. Unrelated to the Wow signal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here