Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stupid drivers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I nearly got knocked over earlier, some. may wish it happened. a car going south to north on Sussex Rd Haywards Heath approached the roundabout with South Rd clearly indicating a right signal, going towards Princess Royal Hospital and then as I was crossing the road suddenly signalled left to go up Hazelgrove Rd.

The highway code clearly shows that you signal left approaching a roundabout unless going right or all the way around it. Why do people signal right then change to left near their exit which is wrong.

I would add it was a middleaged driver not a boy racer or doddery old fool.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have to agree that I'd one of my most hated driving habits. It's infuriating when you're sat in a queue for a roundabout created by people's inability to use their left indicators.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If going straight over, you signal left as you approach your intended exit. Thousands of sh*t awful drivers lack the intelligence to do this, however.

That is correct as per the highway code under the heading of intermediate exits. This driver, however, was indicating right as he pulled out of Sussex Rd

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I nearly got knocked over earlier, some. may wish it happened. a car going south to north on Sussex Rd Haywards Heath approached the roundabout with South Rd clearly indicating a right signal, going towards Princess Royal Hospital and then as I was crossing the road suddenly signalled left to go up Hazelgrove Rd.

The highway code clearly shows that you signal left approaching a roundabout unless going right or all the way around it. Why do people signal right then change to left near their exit which is wrong.

First thought it might have been Alex Pritchard having second thoughts about attempting to come to Albion.
Or even weirder, Dale Stephens practising leaving Sussex :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I stand to be corrected as I don't drive too frequently in Haywards Heath, but I am under the impression at this roundabout that Hazelgrove Road is not directly opposite Sussex Road but more at a 1 to 2 o'clock position, therefore would not Highway Code Rule 187 apply?

If my memory is correct what has the driver done wrong?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I stand to be corrected as I don't drive too frequently in Haywards Heath, but I am under the impression at this roundabout that Hazelgrove Road is not directly opposite Sussex Road but more at a 1 to 2 o'clock position, therefore would not Highway Code Rule 187 apply?

If my memory is correct what has the driver done wrong?

Signaled to go right and took the 2nd exit the right turn to Franklynn Rd is the 4th so he should not have signalled right at all but left after South Rd or as they are close when it was too late to turn into South Rd.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's entirely possible that the driver was not local and may have got confused after entering the roundabout.

Everybody has made a mistake while out driving, especially in unfamiliar territory.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's entirely possible that the driver was not local and may have got confused after entering the roundabout.

Everybody has made a mistake while out driving, especially in unfamiliar territory.

That doesnt make any sense as a roundabout should be approached and the correct signals given irrespective of where it is or how familiar the driver is with the area.

But then I should have anticpated you trying to find fault in the postings.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
That doesnt make any sense as a roundabout should be approached and the correct signals given irrespective of where it is or how familiar the driver is with the area.

But then I should have anticpated you trying to find fault in the postings.

Of course it makes sense, people can get confused. The driver may have mistaken the exit they should have taken.

Have you never made a mistake whilst out driving?

In answer to your dig, I was trying to explain the reasoning behind the late change of signalling, not trying to find fault. That's easy enough to do with your football ramblings on here. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here