Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy???

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Is my mind failing me or did we used to have a player called Duffy, maybe 30-40 years ago?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
How can anyone forget him? - up their with Kit Napier, and Tony Towner with you heros of that era

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He scored on his debut - an absolute cracker of a goal (against Bradford City IIRC). We thought we'd found an absolute gem. Sadly, he turned out to be more interested in exploring the local pubs than in scoring goals

Parchie

Jan 9, 2014
Scored on his debut - cracker from 25 yards against Bradford city. Legend status sealed when he saved himself a booking by claiming he hadn't heard the referee because of the mop of hair over his ears

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We got him from Wet Sham and it was quite a coup at the time even though they were getting rid because he was too much trouble. Good player but Hammers were right and his star burned bright but sort. Sure he went into the catering trade and I believe he became a freeman of the City of London though I may be wrong?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We got him from Wet Sham and it was quite a coup at the time even though they were getting rid because he was too much trouble. Good player but Hammers were right and his star burned bright but sort. Sure he went into the catering trade and I believe he became a freeman of the City of London though I may be wrong?

We got him from Newcastle.

I think you're thinking of Brian Dear, who was an equally overweight striker. He had him on loan from West Ham but he didn't sign for us. He was excellent though - a better player than Duffy

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I think you're thinking of Brian Dear, who was an equally overweight striker. He had him on loan from West Ham but he didn't sign for us. He was excellent though - a better player than Duffy

:facepalm: Old age!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Brian Dear
Too Dear

was the song!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Duffy was oftern used as a sub coming on once I remember he fouled with his first touch and was sent straight back off I also remember the ball clearing the south stand on more than one of Duffys shots I remember him a a short fat chap with huge side burns

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
BBC radio once described him as a player who is nearly as wide as he is tall !!

rotund was the word they used then scored against reading away on Easter monday (maybe)

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I watched him play back in the day, used to see him around Brighton drinking now and then.........
Tony, if you only saw him drinking now and again ,you weren't looking hard enough.
He was on the piss every night! ��

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here