Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mrs Slocombe's Pussy

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Anybody going to be having a look for it later (9pm, BBC1)?

Not sure how well either of the remakes tonight (AYBS followed by Porridge) will work, both were of their time in terms of the style, particularly AYBS, and I'm not sure either will work as well without the casts we've become used to - the remake of Yes, Prime Minister being a great example of how awful such efforts can be.

Surely if they wanted to celebrate how popular these sitcoms were, the best bet would just be to show the originals (ie: the reasons they were popular in the first place)?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I'll take a look - don't normally like rehashes even if they aren't setting out to emulate them.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Surely if they wanted to celebrate how popular these sitcoms were, the best bet would just be to show the originals (ie: the reasons they were popular in the first place)?

Totally agree.

I might catch up with tonight's efforts on Iplayer. But there is zero chance of them being as good as the original broadcasts.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Didn't even know it was on. Expect the Beeb will have put the remake through the diversity/pc sieve.

Mr Humphries now happily married to Mr Lucas.

Mrs Slocombe a divorcee who has survived an abusive relationship.

Miss Brahms a bi sexual revolutionary feminist probably an ethnic minority background.

Mr Harman private contractor employee/zero hours contract etc

Captain Peacock as Captain Peacock (ie white, middle class, tory .... bad guy/ inherently evil).

Mr Rumbold see previous character.

The 'young' Mr Grace rebranded to represent a Mike Ashley type character.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Didn't even know it was on. Expect the Beeb will have put the remake through the diversity/pc sieve.

Mr Humphries now happily married to Mr Lucas.

Miss Brahms a bi sexual revolutionary feminist probably an ethnic minority background.

Mr Harman private contractor employee/zero hours contract etc

Captain Peacock as Captain Peacock (ie white, middle class, tory .... bad guy/ inherently evil).

The 'young' Mr Grace rebranded to represent a Mike Ashley type character.

I think this one is supposed to be set in 1988, so...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'll take a look - don't normally like rehashes even if they aren't setting out to emulate them.

I agree, can't actually remember one that's ever worked. Have the Beeb become so bereft of writing talent they have pull this stuff out from history.
I will watch tonight, but fear I will be making disappointing comparisons. ???

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think this one is supposed to be set in 1988, so...

Ah...

Mr Humphries now in a long term relationship with Mr Lucas.

Mr Harman newly privatised non unionised company employee.

The 'young' Mr Grace rebranded to represent a Robert Maxwell type character.

... :thumbsup:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I agree, can't actually remember one that's ever worked. Have the Beeb become so bereft of writing talent they have pull this stuff out from history.
I will watch tonight, but fear I will be making disappointing comparisons. ???

They did a remake of Reggie Perrin a few years ago with Martin Clunes which was very good I thought. Not just a retread of the old series but had reimagined it for the modern day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anybody going to be having a look for it later (9pm, BBC1)?

Not sure how well either of the remakes tonight (AYBS followed by Porridge) will work, both were of their time in terms of the style, particularly AYBS, and I'm not sure either will work as well without the casts we've become used to - the remake of Yes, Prime Minister being a great example of how awful such efforts can be.

They do, all the time, on cable channels!

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
well watched 5 mins and its sh*t all the cast are trying to look like the originals except we now have a black guy taking the Mr Lucas role. God put the original on at least there is an excuse for the poor acting

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yep, they all just seem to be doing crap impressions of the original actors.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I made sure I was free for this.
So far not too bad because it is doing what it is supposed to be doing, copying the original with a twist and so will porridge.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Recognise most of the actors. Who is playing Mr Rumbold? His face looks familiar.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or Mr Humpfreys..

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I made sure I was free for this.
So far not too bad because it is doing what it is supposed to be doing, copying the original with a twist and so will porridge.

is it or is it just using the same old jokes ? to me this shows a lack of thought by the BBC lets repeat and old series but pretend its new.... still as I don't really watch BBC i'll stop moaning

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
They did a remake of Reggie Perrin a few years ago with Martin Clunes which was very good I thought. Not just a retread of the old series but had reimagined it for the modern day.

that was a very underrated remake. lacked the surrealism of the original reggie perrin but was very good nonetheless.

i always thought the office dynamic in men behaving badly was one of the sweeter less crass aspects of it, with the old long termers and the underachieving clunes and his affection and frustration for/with them, was one of the more well rounded parts of the show.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here