Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Location of the 'Chicken Run on the Goldstone East Terrace

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Inspired by a recent thread where some of our older fans posted their views on where the 'Chicken Run' was located at The Goldstone (and also where it wasn't), I decided to dig out this old ground map which I have in my collection and post it here to provide a definitive reference for anyone wanting to know the answer to this question in the future.

This map was an insert in the first match day programme of the 1946/47 season after World War II against Port Vale and was presumably provided as an aide to help people decide where to watch the game from and also how much it cost in each area.

So now you know.

Map of Goldstone.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes. Transfers is an interesting yet long forgotten concept I imagine for people who wanted swap position at half time to follow the Albion attack.

I would imagine that they would be better placed staying where they were and watching the Albion defence take a battering unless off course they had binos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Yes, it was, and when I started watching the Albion in the 1950's you could walk all round the ground (except for the players tunnel)without paying 'transfers'.

Think it might have been a visit from Millwall that ended that tradition .

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
1954, still 9d for boys, and often when the crowd was thin you walked down the other end to watch the Home goal action. (or not) I've never seen the Chicken run like that. Note that it is the original West Stand, and a picket fence ran all around the pitch and running track. I don't remember when they changed it for a wall.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Good thread. Interesting to see how the turnstiles changed position over the years, what the prices were, transfers, location of press box and comparative sizes of the old wooden stands.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
Presumably the OP's map was drawn before the terracing was built. It could have been fairly level ground then, or at best gently sloping? I would have thought that the fence would have been replaced with a wall on this side when the terracing was built.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Inspired by a recent thread where some of our older fans posted their views on where the 'Chicken Run' was located at The Goldstone (and also where it wasn't), I decided to dig out this old ground map which I have in my collection and post it here to provide a definitive reference for anyone wanting to know the answer to this question in the future.

This map was an insert in the first match day programme of the 1946/47 season after World War II against Port Vale and was presumably provided as an aide to help people decide where to watch the game from and also how much it cost in each area.

So now you know.

View attachment 77507

It wasn't always like that though. Throughout the 60's until 1978 there was no separation between the north stand and northwest terrace and there was standing space in front of the west stand up to the tunnel at halfway

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It wasn't always like that though. Throughout the 60's until 1978 there was no separation between the north stand and northwest terrace and there was standing space in front of the west stand up to the tunnel at halfway
I am sure I remember walking from the north to the south as a small child at half time. I'd forgotten that, it means I went in the old north stand. The west was all standing on the lower sections, not just up to the tunnel.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Interesting. I always thought the chicken run was the shallow terracing at the South end of the East Terrace so had that wrong. Why was it given that name?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here