Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone know what this is?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Decided to take the metal detector out for a whirl at the weekend and found this on the beach.

IMG_7362.jpg

It was encrusted into a rock about a foot down. Took it home and left to soak in vinegar overnight and has shined right up. Have finally managed to get most of the remaining barnacles/crust off. Just wondering if anyone knows what this is? I was a bit dubious it may be a shell at first before cleaning it up, but both ends are blunt and no way it could detonate.

It's 8 cm long and very heavy. Feels too heavy to be brass (more like the weight of lead) and has no corrosion. Had a suggestion it could be an 18th century needle holder/sewing kit, but not totally convinced. I can faintly hear something rattle inside. Looks like it could unscrew in the middle but is far too stiff to open without a lot of force and didn't want to end up ruining the damn thing.

Here's a close up:

cropped.jpg

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
MY first impression it looked like one of those toggles on duffle coats. Obviously not though due to the weight you described

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
MY first impression it looked like one of those toggles on duffle coats. Obviously not though due to the weight you described

Yeah, definitely too heavy for that! I would say it weighs at least the same as a 3 oz fishing weight. I have even tried asking on a metal detecting forum and nobody seems to know wtf it is... Might have to get the pliers out tomorrow and gently see what's inside!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
That second picture certainly looks like it unscrews in the middle

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Curious. The weight implies it might have been a plummet, used to take depth soundings, but then it doesn't have any hole to fix it to a chain or line, so perhaps not.

And if it does unscrew in the middle, then that's definitely wrong.

Let us know what you find out!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Definitely looks like it unscrews and has something inside. You could tweet a photo of it to some of the TV antiques experts. I think Charles Hanson (@HansonsAntiques) is a bit of a detectorist.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Could it be gold? Maybe worth finding out before scratching or denting in an effort to open. Would expect something good inside if it were to be gold.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mrs K has just had a look [MENTION=9385]Arundel_Seagull[/MENTION]. Says her Dad had one. Says it is a screwdriver. You unscrew and inside are different screw bits that fit into one of the halves to make said screwdriver. She has lost hers! So we can't check.

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There's only one metal that doesn't tarnish especially after being in-bedded in a rock and encrusted with barnacles. Also the feeling heavy for it's size.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Mrs K has just had a look [MENTION=9385]Arundel_Seagull[/MENTION]. Says her Dad had one. Says it is a screwdriver. You unscrew and inside are different screw bits that fit into one of the halves to make said screwdriver. She has lost hers! So we can't check.

This. My Dad has one its like a Swiss army screwdriver

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
[MENTION=9385]Arundel_Seagull[/MENTION] - is your name Emily? Do you have a large, saggy, pink-and-white striped stuffed toy you can leave it in front of?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here