Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm hoping that a new record signing will give him stern competition for the secondary striker role and he'll knock a few more goals in this season. Every other aspect of his game seems good.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was 2 years ago today, that Sam signed for the Albion. In truth even his most fervent fans I suspect would have expected more goals, assists & first team starts - let's hope that if he is in the starting team today, he takes his opportunity to kick on. :clap2::albion2:

Both Baldock and Hemed will be judged primarily on the league goals they score this season. Let's hope they both take their opportunity to kick on, and not be totally eclipsed by Murray and Knocky.

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011
Both Baldock and Hemed will be judged primarily on the league goals they score this season. Let's hope they both take their opportunity to kick on, and not be totally eclipsed by Murray and Knocky.

Hemed has nothing to prove. 17 goals in his first season is an excellent return. If he does the same this time around I for one would be delighted! Baldock on the other hand I would politely say 'work in progress'. Unless he kicks-on this campaign, we surely cannot/won't keep him next season?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hemed has nothing to prove. 17 goals in his first season is an excellent return. If he does the same this time around I for one would be delighted! Baldock on the other hand I would politely say 'work in progress'. Unless he kicks-on this campaign, we surely cannot/won't keep him next season?

I'd be delighted also, if/when Hemed starts contributing goals from open play this season. Do we give him a dozen games firing blanks like we did last season? Just bored now of Albion players with the word 'striker' as their job title whose main skills seem to be either 'holding the ball up' or 'running off the ball'. Every skill, it would appear, other than sticking the ball in the net. How many seasons did we make excuses for the likes of CMS and COG? Too many, I'd suggest. Murray puts them all to shame, same as Ashley Barnes did.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'd be delighted also, if/when Hemed starts contributing goals from open play this season. Do we give him a dozen games firing blanks like we did last season? Just bored now of Albion players with the word 'striker' as their job title whose main skills seem to be either 'holding the ball up' or 'running off the ball'. Every skill, it would appear, other than sticking the ball in the net. How many seasons did we make excuses for the likes of CMS and COG? Too many, I'd suggest. Murray puts them all to shame, same as Ashley Barnes did.

You are being very harsh on Hemed again. His blanks coincided with an injury crisis to our creative midfielders. You've got to give him the supply to score goals. He did when he had that supply at the beginning and from January onwards.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd be delighted also, if/when Hemed starts contributing goals from open play this season. Do we give him a dozen games firing blanks like we did last season? Just bored now of Albion players with the word 'striker' as their job title whose main skills seem to be either 'holding the ball up' or 'running off the ball'. Every skill, it would appear, other than sticking the ball in the net.
Hemed has no problem scoring when Baldock plays - hence the problems.
Hemed and Murray + Baldock and X, ticks every box required.

Has the AMEX Albion ever had 4 strikers and played whichever combination of 2 at a time?

No point having a 'runner' without a 'holder' and visa versa.
Equally, as this season so far is proving, there's no point playing 2 'holders'.

The main disappointment from this window is the club couldn't make such a crucial transfer happen before the season started.
4 points have already been thrown away, and who knows how long it will take for the (hopefully) new striker to form a partnership with Murray and/or Hemed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Murray puts them all to shame, same as Ashley Barnes did.

The free scoring Ashley Barnes who in his 5 seasons in the Championship with us/Burnley, and remember playing for promotion chasing or winning sides, scored 11, 8, 5, 3 and 0 goals.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Baldock and Knockeart both scored v Reading. Not sure its their fault we also let in two. (or Murray or Hemed)
As for the 14 other goals we've scored this season then agreed. Its all very frustrating.

And if we're being completely fair, it was Murray who missed the best chances in the 0-0 v Derby. So I'm not sure Hemed / Baldock can be blamed for us "throwing away" 2 points in that game either.*

*I am not blaming Murray or saying we threw 2 points away.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Sorry can't see how you can knock Hemed yet praise Barnes ?

Hemed scored more goals at this level than Ashley, and puts in as much effort as Barnes did

Better attitude, better taking penalties, better control and better in the air.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Baldock and Knockeart both scored v Reading. Not sure its their fault we also let in two. (or Murray or Hemed)

As for the 14 other goals we've scored this season then agreed. Its all very frustrating.
Including goals scored against Colchester and Oxford reserves is a bit of a reach, even for 16 goals.
But 8 league goals.
The general consensus was the team owned the last hour v Derby but couldn't score.
Taking the lead away from home and not winning due to a 'lazy' goal is 4 points dropped.

Who knows the team might get an excellent point later today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
its 2 points actually.

and nothing to do with the strikers.
2 at Derby + 2 at Reading = 4 points dropped.

Derby the strikers didn't make the most of their chances.
Reading the defence was weak at a critical time, and the strikers didn't make the most of their chances.

Both games could have been great points earned, just like today could be.
But sadly just like last season, the team came up short, snatching 1 point from the clutches of 3.

I'm not 'anti' draws.
But along with other factors 17 last season killed us, and those 2 games show the team heading in a similar direction.
One that I think will alter dramatically with another quality striker.

boik

Yeah, whatever. It's the team scoring goals that counts, not the individuals. We scored enough last season but conceded one too many v Boro.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seem to have hit a raw nerve with criticism of Hemed. So be it. Let's put it simply Hemed and Baldock always seem to be TOILING. Like CMS and COG before them. The harder they try, the more the goals dry up. The Murray-Barnes partnership was a Golden Age by comparison. If that partnership had been allowed to develop, instead of being curtailed by muppets, we'd be in the Prem today.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
2 at Derby + 2 at Reading = 4 points dropped.

Derby the strikers didn't make the most of their chances.
Reading the defence was weak at a critical time, and the strikers didn't make the most of their chances.

Both games could have been great points earned, just like today could be.
But sadly just like last season, the team came up short, snatching 1 point from the clutches of 3.

I'm not 'anti' draws.
But along with other factors 17 last season killed us, and those 2 games show the team heading in a similar direction.
One that I think will alter dramatically with another quality striker.

2 points dropped at Reading down to Stockdale, both this season and last.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here