Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can somebody please explain why we do not leave the smallest quickest player in the centre circle. This would mean the opponents leaving 2 men back to mark him and if the ball was hoofed out to between those players and the keeper it would give us a valuable outlet to relieve pressure. without the ball being pumped back into our box.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Can somebody please explain why we do not leave the smallest quickest player in the centre circle. This would mean the opponents leaving 2 men back to mark him and if the ball was hoofed out to between those players and the keeper it would give us a valuable outlet to relieve pressure. without the ball being pumped back into our box.

:moo:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
What we actually do is have our quicker players at the apex of the 18 yard box. This has proved to be a good source of quick counter attacks for us and even a few goals.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

When we are defending a corner I presume you mean?

I'd like us to do this too, but I guess CH sees an extra defender as better to stop the opponents scoring, and AK on the edge of the box as the best way for us to attack from defensive corners.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm not sure any of your suppositions/propositions actually hold up to scrutiny without a second, bigger player's presence to physically hold the ball up/deal with strong physical challenges/win the ball in the air. Hoof ball by its nature is imprecise and rarely includes putting the ball into open productive space. As a result you realistically need two up front with the most common formula being a big 'un and a nippy little 'un in tandem. The formula we played all last season and will probably favour again if we acquire the "number 10" Hughton is after.

Jan 30, 2008
:tumble:
regards
DR

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure any of your suppositions/propositions actually hold up to scrutiny without a second, bigger player's presence to physically hold the ball up/deal with strong physical challenges/win the ball in the air. Hoof ball by its nature is imprecise and rarely includes putting the ball into open productive space. As a result you realistically need two up front with the most common formula being a big 'un and a nippy little 'un in tandem. The formula we played all last season and will probably favour again if we acquire the "number 10" Hughton is after.

Not really my idea is that neither March nor Knockhaert will win the ball in the air in the area so 1 should be left in what was traditionally the old inside right position in the centre circle. If the ball was then cleared towards the opponents left back position just outside of the penalty box either would possibly beat a defender to the ball and even if they didnt and he got there first they would stop him hitting the ball back into our box, which invariably happens at the moment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When we are defending a corner I presume you mean?

I'd like us to do this too, but I guess CH sees an extra defender as better to stop the opponents scoring, and AK on the edge of the box as the best way for us to attack from defensive corners.
Anyone would think last season we didn't score any goals following this pattern:-

Corner
Ball cleared to edge of our box (I can think of one when that clearance was by a 'big'un')
Collected by Knockaert or other quick lad
Taken to the edge of their box.
Passed through to big'un.
Goal.
Salute.

Pretty much in grained in this squads DNA.

If only we had someone who knew what he was doing, at the helm.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'd prefer there to be two players left up whilst defending corners. Makes the centre halves think about not going up for a set piece

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anyone would think last season we didn't score any goals following this pattern:-

Corner
Ball cleared to edge of our box (I can think of one when that clearance was by a 'big'un')
Collected by Knockaert or other quick lad
Taken to the edge of their box.
Passed through to big'un.
Goal.
Salute.

Pretty much in grained in this squads DNA.

If only we had someone who knew what he was doing, at the helm.

It happened on an odd occasion but more often than not the ball was pumped back into our box and by a player being 10- 15 yds nearer the opponents half it would mean them keeping 2 or even 3 players back to deal with it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd prefer there to be two players left up whilst defending corners. Makes the centre halves think about not going up for a set piece

The CB would probably still go up to add height but they would then leave at least 3 or possibly 4 back to deal with it. It would also make the box less congested and allow the keeper more room to move.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
Peter Ward would always stand on the centre spot when we had a corner. When the ball was cleared he would ALWAYS score a goal at the other end. I don't know why we don't do this now. Barbera out!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure knockhaert would get a few from such a move. Another move I always acvocated when I was a manager was that if the corner was on their right side the right back came up to the edge ov the box and the left back stayed back similarly from the left. The logic behind this is that when defending a CB usually tries to head the ball to a safe area and the easiest safest area is the touch line out side of the box where it came from and the way he is facing.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No dont just leave the smallest quickest player upfield, lets leave the front four on the half way line, then by BGs logic the opposition will need to leave 5 defenders to mark them.

That way with 1 taking the corner, there are only 4 attackers in the box to be marked by 6 defenders, so man mark and each post marked.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
Peter Ward would always stand on the centre spot when we had a corner. When the ball was cleared he would ALWAYS score a goal at the other end. I don't know why we don't do this now. Barbera out!

I meant, when the opposition had a corner. (It wouldn't make sense otherwise, would it? I don't think he ever scored an own goal, let alone lots of them)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No dont just leave the smallest quickest player upfield, lets leave the front four on the half way line, then by BGs logic the opposition will need to leave 5 defenders to mark them.

That way with 1 taking the corner, there are only 4 attackers in the box to be marked by 6 defenders, so man mark and each post marked.
So we should have 8 on the half way line, they need 9 to defend, plus their keeper, means 1 taking the corner, and no one attacking.

I'm emailing Chris now!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well, if we do strike lucky and sign the number 10 that Chris Hughton seems hell bent on, then I think that it'll be Tomer Hemed who will be spending plenty of bench time.

Murray was signed to play as often as possible, so long term loss of form, or injury aside, I expect to see him starting games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here