Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"At the moment I'm making decisions on the squad. He is available. I've got to make a decision on that one." - Chris Hughton

Anyone in the world still genuinely buying the "extra training" story?! I can believe Hughton when he categorically denies Stephens refusing to play. But I can also completely believe the club and Stephens together deciding it's best for him not to play these couple of games whilst a potential transfer is sorted out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone in the world still genuinely buying the "extra training" story?! I can believe Hughton when he categorically denies Stephens refusing to play. But I can also completely believe the club and Stephens together deciding it's best for him not to play these couple of games whilst a potential transfer is sorted out.

Head not in the right place won't be anywhere near the squad until either sold or the window closes imo.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Anyone in the world still genuinely buying the "extra training" story?!

Think we will find out at 445 Saturday. It's a strange one, no real talk of a move being closer for him, his wife tweeting she has got the school uniform, and he could of benefitted from extra training last week but this week if he was fit i would have him in the 1st 11. If he's not in the squad then maybe he is off??? I would hate him to leave personally. If he's here in September then great as long as we don t have the same issues in January.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with Mellotron and my best guess is that he's been told he can leave if a club not in our division (so a club in the Prem) comes in at a price that we're happy with.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
It puzzles me there seems to be no chatter at all about an offer. Maybe rather than his head not being in the right place because of a potential move hes a bit sad because nobody else wants him

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He won't play until after the window. I think he'll still be here though - gone very quiet and it seems we're asking for more than anyone is willing to pay.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He won't play until after the window. I think he'll still be here though - gone very quiet and it seems we're asking for more than anyone is willing to pay.

I think that's always been the case. Stephens himself hinted £10M during the Euros.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Agreed. I think with good reason - Norwood and Sidwell are not upgrades on Stephens, which is hardly a surprise. In fact, how much would an upgrade cost? Probably more than we're actually asking for.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Eh? Whether he stays or goes doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to this.

True. Ive just not really got an opinion as to whether the story is true or not but Hughtons talk of his levels not being right after the game he started suggested theyve looked at the stats from the monitoring equipment the players wear and decided he wasnt playing up to last seasons high standards. I dont fully grasp why he couldnt have been a bench option at Reading though and wonder if his levels were lower because he couldnt really be bothered or because he wasnt fully fit

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He has played this year though which has made it a touch baffling - and it seemed the interest had gone away befor that game and hasn't come back.

He probably did get a reaction to his knee injury, which would account for the extra fitness training.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I wonder if now the issue is a stalemate on a new contract. Interest in him seems to have cooled, at least in terms of a lack of dodgy Twitter feeds and HITC articles. Maybe we're hashing out the terms of a new deal for him, similar to Dunk last season.

Personally would love for the next press release about him to start with "Stephens signs new five year deal".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here