Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any of you coming home from holiday via Calais-Be Vigilant

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

D

Deleted member 22389

You wouldn't think this was Calais in the year 2016 would you. Just can't understand how the French authorities and especially the people of Calais allow this to continue on their own doorsteps, now it is time to send in the Army along with the Police and clear Calais once and for all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You wouldn't think this was Calais in the year 2016 would you. Just can't understand how the French authorities and especially the people of Calais allow this to continue on their own doorsteps, now it is time to send in the Army along with the Police and clear Calais once and for all.

Where do you suggest they clear them to? I think the horse may have bolted on this one.

D

Deleted member 22389

Where do you suggest they clear them to? I think the horse may have bolted on this one.

Whether it takes 1 or 10 years, they start processing people and keep everyone away from the ports.
They either send people home who shouldn't be in Europe in the first place, or give people Asylum.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This puzzled me because there aren't any trees at the side of the motorway to fell.

I've never seen any problems all the time we've used Eurotunnel even last year when we arrived at Calais at 3am. We got back to the UK, to news of immigrants blocking the roads with burning tyres etc. It wasn't true. It was the French ferry workers on strike who were burning tyres, but it wasn't in the middle of the road as the BBC made out. I emailed the BBC to complain about their biased reporting, but received no answer.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This puzzled me because there aren't any trees at the side of the motorway to fell.

I've never seen any problems all the time we've used Eurotunnel even last year when we arrived at Calais at 3am. We got back to the UK, to news of immigrants blocking the roads with burning tyres etc. It wasn't true. It was the French ferry workers on strike who were burning tyres, but it wasn't in the middle of the road as the BBC made out. I emailed the BBC to complain about their biased reporting, but received no answer.

last year you didnt see any problems with people chucking trees in the road for a very good reason...its because its a new development recently this year
Anyone that has done this journey will know the closed rest stops are overrun with trees......its also not rocket science to realise cutting down a tree and dragging it a few metres to its destination, ie a motorway isnt that hard

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
last year you didnt see any problems with people chucking trees in the road for a very good reason...its because its a new development recently this year
Anyone that has done this journey will know the closed rest stops are overrun with trees......its also not rocket science to realise cutting down a tree and dragging it a few metres to its destination, ie a motorway isnt that hard

I've been twice since then. This year we went through the the tunnel at 3.30 to France.
Ive watched the footage several times on tv, this morning & it's a single carriage road, being shown. The motorways around Calais are 3 lanes.
I'm not saying it isn't happening, I'm saying the reports aren't accurate.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I've been twice since then. Ive watched the footage several times in to this morning & it's a single carriage road, being shown. The motorways around Calais are 3 lanes.
I'm not saying it isn't happening, I'm saying the reports aren't accurate.

Please look again,its not single carriage road being shown at all.....a big fat lorry screeches to a halt in the outside lane......its dual carriage. The roads around the main Calais junctions like the tunnel are indeed 3 lanes but the rest of the motorway heading south from belgium is dual road.
Sorry chap this really is happening, i travel along this road 6 or 7 times a year,maybe more...this road really is dual carriageway before it hits the tunnel junctions

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Please look again,its not single carriage road being shown at all.....a big fat lorry screeches to a halt in the outside lane......its dual carriage. The roads around the main Calais junctions like the tunnel are indeed 3 lanes but the rest of the motorway heading south from belgium is dual road.
Sorry chap this really is happening, i travel along this road 6 or 7 times a year,maybe more...this road really is dual carriageway before it hits the tunnel junctions

I looked again. The speed sign says 80kph. The speed limit on motorways is 130 or 110 weather dependant.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Not propaganda at all, my best mate owns his own haulage company, immigrants are blocking roads regularly, not necessarily with trees but generally throwing stuff into the roads to slow down traffic and then swarming onto the road.
He's had two trucks damaged windscreens and mirrors smashed and dented doors when the drivers have tried to continue through.
It is becoming an issue and his drivers are now refusing to go anywhere near Calais after dark.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Propaganda.

Oh well,i do this trip quite often,i thought i would share with others that currently travelling in the middle of the night in this area is not a good idea.
News outlets are reporting it,but it wasnt a headline on the BBC

But apparently its all a load of made up twaddle.
the BBC South footage is a lie.......good for you chaps

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The migrants are using chainsaws donated by UK charities .

Time to end this farce and launch a free ferry shuttle service to bring them here safely .

D

Deleted member 22389

Propaganda.

I wouldn't call 6,000+ people hanging about in Calais propaganda, but it does show what a balls up Hollande and other leaders have created in this country over the years, and it also shows what a shambles European borders.

Secondly the only reason people are dismissive of this issue in this country, is because it doesn't effect them yet. If the same numbers of people where hanging around in their own towns eventually people would be up in arms about it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I looked again. The speed sign says 80kph. The speed limit on motorways is 130 or 110 weather dependant.

crikey mate
the speed limit on motorways is 130/110 but on that part of the motorway past dunkirk to calais it is not 130 or 110

im struggling to understand why you think this whole footage is fake

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh well,i do this trip quite often,i thought i would share with others that currently travelling in the middle of the night in this area is not a good idea.
News outlets are reporting it,but it wasnt a headline on the BBC

But apparently its all a load of made up twaddle.
the BBC South footage is a lie.......good for you chaps

I haven't said its made up twaddle. I know the BBC reporting is inaccurate (very different to made up twaddle) as I was in that place last year, when the ferry workers were on strike. I even had text messages from friends warning me to contact the British consulate, as it was so bad. There was nothing, not a single disturbance and yet, three hours later, back home, I was watching Breakfast tv, telling the UK, that Calais was in uproar.

Earlier this year, it was reported that the strikes, especially the fuel strikes, we're going to affect all holidaymakers, there were massive queues at all petrol stations. We have friends over there, so contacted them to ask for the real update. Apart from limiting cars to 20€ at the time, there wasn't a problem. And so it turned out. We didn't see a thing driving to the Vendee, didn't queue once for fuel, and weren't limited to the amount.

I'm saying the news is being exaggerated, not that it isn't happening.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I'm guessing this is on the road to the port which has various different speed limits (and trees). And yes, it was the ferry workers burning tyres on the roads to the port, not Eurotunnel, wasn't it?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm guessing this is on the road to the port which has various different speed limits (and trees). And yes, it was the ferry workers burning tyres on the roads to the port, not Eurotunnel, wasn't it?

It was, but the BBC definitely showed footage of that, saying it was immigrants. Misleading.

Yes, we also went the other way into Belgium, which was equally as quiet. Strangely that was the morning after the Paris attacks.

Maybe we've just been very lucky.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here