Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Donating Blood

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Who does who doesn't ? Donors what is your blood Group - I am O- the best mixer.

I have given around 20 times, but stopped because they pissed me off with the long winded process and wasted too much of my time. I have tried a couple of times now to get back into it, but there is something shockingly bad about a process where they claim that they need more donors, but can't offer an appointment at a day long session. I have just registered and tried both Shoreham and Lewes and I can't make an appointment in either in September !

Any constructive suggestions as to how I can be public spirited, without sitting around twiddling my thumbs for half a day ?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A Rhesus Positive, coming up to my half century. It takes about 20 minutes, is pretty well painless and may help out friends or relatives in the future.

As an aside after my last donation they texted me where it was going to (Conquest Hospital). Not sure I want my good West Sussex blood going over the border to the Badlands of East Sussex... :wink:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Who does who doesn't ? Donors what is your blood Group - I am O- the best mixer.

I have given around 20 times, but stopped because they pissed me off with the long winded process and wasted too much of my time. I have tried a couple of times now to get back into it, but there is something shockingly bad about a process where they claim that they need more donors, but can't offer an appointment at a day long session. I have just registered and tried both Shoreham and Lewes and I can't make an appointment in either in September !

Any constructive suggestions as to how I can be public spirited, without sitting around twiddling my thumbs for half a day ?

Donated about 30 times I think now. I haven't actually donated for about a year as for no particular reason my appointments seemed to clash with commitments when I was away from home. I think the process has become more regimented over the years like you say but don't stop doing it as I know how much blood is needed for even the simplest operations or procedures. Your post has just prompted me to go back on the website and book up my next donation now.

Can't remember what my Blood group is but apparently it's blue.:albion2:

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I donate in Horsham - takes about an hour which is much longer than it needs to. I think the NHS would benefit from a time / motion study to increase productivity and efficiency.

I always book my next session during my after donation drink of water.

Works for me, stick at it as once you are in the system it seems to work.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
O neg here as well. 26 donations so far

Just changed my next appointment. I was originally due to go on a Friday in November
Our match against Villa got moved to that night.
Rebooked for September 30.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I donate, although haven't done this year as just not had chance. The main reason I'm responding though is to thank you all and anyone else who donates :bowdown::bowdown:. I never realised or thought of the ways donated blood is used, I assumed it was just accidents and sometimes operations and the like. However after my sons treatment for Leukaemia this year he must of had at least 30 blood transfusions, and nearly 100 Platelet (taken from donated blood) transfusions, and he's continuing to need them and will do for next couple of months at least. This is just one child on one ward in one hospital so heaven knows how much donated blood is used daily. I know it can sometimes be a pain and long winded, but one of you could of helped to save a 13 year old childs life, his group is O negative (most definitely blue & white).

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
"Charley Charles" sorry i but i am not being nasty,but i just donate what happens after that is out of my control,and i have no wish to control it.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
O negative - The universal donor . Used to donate - not allowed any more. Don't know whether you ever visit any places with drop-in centres (none in Sussex I'm afraid) - means no need for appointment

I've had blood transfusions as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here