Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proper Albion pubs

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Other than the old perennials the Battle, Basket, Nelson etc, where are the proper Albion pubs in Brighton and Hove?

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
What qualifies a pub as proper Albion? During our first season or two at The Amex, the Battle was frequently "regulars only" after matches, presumably as they didn't want to be overrun by football fans so I am not sure that qualifies it as an Albion pub.

May have changed now of course - I've not been in there regularly after games since 2014ish

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Swan by location
The Seven stars if run correctly could be a really good old style pub dartboard pool table juke box staff that know what a shandy is and burgers sold in burger buns not some french sweet tasting shyte that costs a tenner
The Bevy will become popular now people know it offers good grub sensible prices plus a lift to the ground .

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
What qualifies a pub as proper Albion? During our first season or two at The Amex, the Battle was frequently "regulars only" after matches, presumably as they didn't want to be overrun by football fans so I am not sure that qualifies it as an Albion pub.

May have changed now of course - I've not been in there regularly after games since 2014ish

I suppose I mean a pub that openly welcomes Albion fans.

There are still quite a few in Brighton that have banned replica shirts.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Bevy will become popular now people know it offers good grub sensible prices plus a lift to the ground .[/QUOTE]

It has a lift?

el punal

Other than the old perennials the Battle, Basket, Nelson etc, where are the proper Albion pubs in Brighton and Hove?

I don't know about Brighton and Hove, but there's a proper Albion pub in Winchester next to the station called, obviously, . . . . the Albion. A real ale boozer owned (I think) by the Flower Pots brewery of Cheriton. Well worth a visit. Anyone else who's supped there care to comment?

P.S. Don't the "top boys" of Palace drink at the Albion in Selhurst or Thornton Heath or whichever hole it's located. The name of the pub must really stick in their craw.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Evening Star attracts a good crowd before games, presuming you can get served past the bloke in the wheelchair who insists on sitting and taking up half of the bar despite the fact he can walk into the toilet

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The Swan by location
The Seven stars if run correctly could be a really good old style pub dartboard pool table juke box staff that know what a shandy is and burgers sold in burger buns not some french sweet tasting shyte that costs a tenner
The Bevy will become popular now people know it offers good grub sensible prices plus a lift to the ground .

Will never happen matey.

It's all about the £ value per square inch.

This business model has been going on for years in retail.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Sportsman at Withdean used to be
Glory days. When you could have a full carvery in the pub pre-game for less than a pie now costs in the stadium

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Welly, the Battle of Trafalgar and the Sussex Yeoman are all good Albion pubs. The Cobden claims to be and has loads of Albion memorabilia but when a group of us went in there for the Derby play-off game, the pub emptied after the previous Premier League game. The Montpelier is another one where you'll find a friendly welcome.

Further afield in Worthing you've got the Warwick and what used to be the Thieves Kitchen, both are proper Albion. Ditto the Merry Monk in Lancing.

And I'm not sure if he markets it as a football pub but a very well-known STH and ex-poster on here runs the Windmill in Upper North Street, just up from Argos on Western Road.

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
What is now The Gather Inn, was always an Albion favourite, they used to play away game streams in there and it was always well supported, unfortunately the sports bar has now closed.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I don't know about Brighton and Hove, but there's a proper Albion pub in Winchester next to the station called, obviously, . . . . the Albion. A real ale boozer owned (I think) by the Flower Pots brewery of Cheriton. Well worth a visit. Anyone else who's supped there care to comment?

P.S. Don't the "top boys" of Palace drink at the Albion in Selhurst or Thornton Heath or whichever hole it's located. The name of the pub must really stick in their craw.

I know it well plus it has a nice kebab shop next door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here