Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle roll call 1979!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
yep I was there behind the goal with my Dad :)

Same here. I was 10 at the time. Aside from the football I remember reading The Beano on the way up, having hamburger and chips in a cafe and being disappointed the hamburger was a slab of ham, asking someone selling crisps how much they were and not being able to understand his accent/language; they were 9p.

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
I remember getting into the ground, the police were asking everyone if they were Brighton fans. The guy behind said wye aye! & got in!

After the game we all celebrated on the pitch and I realised my mates weren't around, so I left the ground on my own heading for the station, followed by half a dozen Newcastle fans. Just as I thought that I was going to be in deep sh*the, my mates pulled up alongside in their car and saved me. Still can't believe how lucky I was.

boik

Yep, remember it well. Set off about 4 a.m. for the long drive. Dad kindly lent us his big Citroen DS to make for a comfortable journey and when we got back to the car the doors on one side had been kicked in. Whoops!

The A1M was a sea of blue and white scarves - quite moving to see. Perfect result too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Held up on the train going up somewhere near Rotherham from memory, no idea why we were held up. Arrived at the game after kick off. One of the massive games that you can count on the fingers of one hand in Albion history for me.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Me. I was there. Don't remember how I got there, or home again, but it was fantastic.

Will we see it's like ever again?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Yes was there.... got a ticket through my neighbour who was a steward... only downside it was in the seats... 1st time ever that was.

Seagull Special... same train as players on the way back...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Me and a mate. Drove there and back on the day in his Mini Clubman(we're both over 6 foot) Absolutely best day ever. Seem to remember there being quite a lot of Sunderland fans around hoping the "Toon" lost but can't remember why. Anyone?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Memories? Being driven to the ground by a friend who lived locally. Huge terraces (mixed back then) with North Stand-style surges de rigueur. Wardy's goal. At the end, clambering over the fence and congratulating Teddy Maybank (his girlfriend and mine shared a flat) in the centre circle. Of St James's Park? Utterly surreal.

Those indeed were the days...

PS 37 years later, meeting up with the same old mate. Only this time, tickets well north of £40 quid. Plus having to re-book trains, stay over and get back on Sunday. Cheers, Rupert.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I'm there with my eldest. Fooking long drive. Howey the Albion.

As for 79 remember having a kick about with the Albion's resident cartoonist (my dad) at Hollingbury Park on the morning of the game. So excited

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Me and a mate. Drove there and back on the day in his Mini Clubman(we're both over 6 foot) Absolutely best day ever. Seem to remember there being quite a lot of Sunderland fans around hoping the "Toon" lost but can't remember why. Anyone?

They (Sunderland) were hoping Newcastle won as they could have pipped us to promotion.

I was there then and will be there Saturday.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I was there, remember getting some grass from the pitch which I had in a little bag stuck on my bedroom wall for years, still got it somewhere (if it hasn't disintegrated!). Also remember getting back into Brighton Station which was absolutely swarming with people singing and celebrating. One of my best ever days supporting the Albion.

Paddington Gal

May 7, 2013
They (Sunderland) were hoping Newcastle won as they could have pipped us to promotion.

I was there then and will be there Saturday.

Is correct as was the fact that Newcastle fans wanted us to win as well, to stop their arch enemies going up. Most impresive was the Geordies ovation given to us at the end and how long they stayed behind to cheer their own team despite only having a mediocre season.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!

Wasn't there in person, but in spirit.
As was listening to the match with my Dad (departed now - sadly), and my Sister (who's threatening to go on Saturday), as we washed the car on the drive that afternoon. :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here