Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police seek man who "repeatedly punched" cyclist on Brighton seafront

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We haven't done this little predictable dance for a while, so fill your boots NSC.

http://road.cc/content/news/202160-police-seek-man-who-repeatedly-punched-cyclist-brighton-seafront

Police in Sussex have appealed for help to find a man who repeatedly punched a cyclist in Brighton, with the incident on the morning of Saturday 6 August caught on camera.

The victim, aged 23, had been riding at around 10am on Brighton’s promenade alongside Kings Road, a space shared between cyclists and pedestrians.

According to Sussex Police (link is external), the cyclist “braked to avoid a man and then rode past him.

“There was an exchange of words between the two men before the pedestrian grabbed the cyclist and punched him repeatedly.

“A bystander intervened and then someone else, who appeared to know the man, pulled him away telling him to stop.”

While Brighton’s promenade is busy enough at this time of year as it is, building works currently taking place mean that the shared space is particularly squeezed in some placed, although it is impossible to tell from the police release whether the incident happened at one of those pinch points.

Police added: “The man is described as white, late 30s to early 40s, with very short ginger hair, a distinctive bridge nose and an outline star tattoo on his left hand.

“He was wearing a navy blue polo shirt with a light blue 'moose' logo, white shorts and black shoes.

“He had a silver watch on his right wrist and a silver bracelet on his left wrist.”

Officers ha e appealed for witnesses or anyone else with information to email

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
HB&B has form for booting a cyclist off their bike ???

At least he does according to a look-at-me thread from a few years ago.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As a pedestrian I have had a couple of 'near misses' outside the i360 whilst the building works were going on where the pavement was literally reduced down to just the cycle lane. Surely it would be better to suspend the cycle lane at these narrow points.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They ride on the pavement and jump red lights. They never use cycle paths. Why isn't there a straight pride? Teachers get too many holidays.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Those pinch points around the building works are one thing, but it still never ceases to amaze me the number of people who stroll along that cycle lane seemingly in a daze, in their own little world, completely oblivious, when they have the whole promenade to mince along. Also have to watch out for the people who have just crossed the road at the pelican crossings, and carry on striding purposefully straight into the cycle lane without bothering to look. You certainly have to have your wits about you riding through that Kingsway zone.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Those pinch points around the building works are one thing, but it still never ceases to amaze me the number of people who stroll along that cycle lane seemingly in a daze, in their own little world, completely oblivious, when they have the whole promenade to mince along. Also have to watch out for the people who have just crossed the road at the pelican crossings, and carry on striding purposefully straight into the cycle lane without bothering to look. You certainly have to have your wits about you riding through that Kingsway zone.

You do wonder don't you? It's not as if it isn't painted red with little pictures of bicycles on it.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

This. I personally always ride in the road round there. Until you get down to Hove Lawns, it is actually safer tangling with 1 ton metal boxes than oblivious pedestrians.

They should definitely suspend the cycle path by the i360 too, it is just too narrow for dual use now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This. I personally always ride in the road round there. Until you get down to Hove Lawns, it is actually safer tangling with 1 ton metal boxes than oblivious pedestrians.

They should definitely suspend the cycle path by the i360 too, it is just too narrow for dual use now.

I still use the cycle lane, but I just trundle/freewheel through that zone. I'd still rather take my chances with an overweight tattooed sunburned blob from Brixton lurching about in the cycle lane, than risk getting clipped by a dozy hairdresser in an open-top Fiat 500 while she checks her eyeliner in the rear view.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cyclists get too many straight Prides

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Teachers always use the pavement when there's a perfectly good cycle path

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I still use the cycle lane, but I just trundle/freewheel through that zone. I'd still rather take my chances with an overweight tattooed sunburned blob from Brixton lurching about in the cycle lane, than risk getting clipped by a dozy hairdresser in an open-top Fiat 500 while she checks her eyeliner in the rear view.

Sexist pig!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
:lolol:
Don't tell me you haven't SEEN them

I got in trouble with a female friend in the pub the other day for bemoaning the increase in mothers driving cars that I deem too powerful for them, and constantly tailgating me.

I stopped short of saying that women really should know their place but the damage was done.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here