Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we still say centre half but not inside right or ....

D

Deleted User X18H

Oh yeah image.png

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
... wing half ? Or half back?

Because its no longer 1968? :shrug:

And ps can I be the 1000th NSC reader to annoint you with the title of NSC's most gold plated of . . . I'm sorry, I just lost my will to live :shootself

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this a thread record for ordure poured over head of OP??

it would be fitting.

:shit:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Probably because times have changed into a new century and a modern way of thinking.

Thank goodness.
I was reared on an unappetising diet of attacking football and plenty of goals. Of heavy boots, heavy pitches, fag-smoking, beer drinking, steak eating, centre-parted thugs. No pace, no skill, no strategy. Just hoof ball. Set formations and numbers, so everyone knew where they were. Inside forwards and outside halves. No forward thinking, just plain old hurry scurry stuff.
I warm to the modern way of thinking. Lightweight kit, sports science, fantastic athletes, great pitches, superb, forward thinking coaches and multi talented players, all pushing the game ahead.
Those dark days were depressing. Gustav Sebes and his interchanging Hungarians. Brazil, who bored the pants off people with their incessant dribbling. Don Revie, who insisted on playing as a deep-lying centre-forward. Arthur Rowe having the temerity to experiment with push and run and win the league title. Ron Greenwood, who thought he could travel all round Europe to learn new ideas. Jimmy Hill, who was too clever for his own good and thought he could change football ( abolishing the minimum wage!!...players keeping fit in the close season!!...all seater stadiums!!...ludicrous ideas ) Rinus Michels and his absurd concept of total football with the Dutch. Flexible positions and flexible numbers, no rigidity. As if that was going to work.
Thank goodness for the modern way of thinking.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Yep at school in the late sixties the only formation known was

GOAL KEEPER
RIGHT BACK-- LEFT BACK

RIGHT HALF-- CENTRE HALF-- LEFT HALF

RIGHT WIN-- INSIDE RIGHT-- CENTRE FORWARD-- INSIDE LEFT-- LEFT WING

1SUB

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills