Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Charges Andre Gray with misconduct

cooliobhafc

Mar 15, 2012
Brighton
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37169558

I am pleased the FA have done something about this but why did it take the FA 4 years to do something about this?

Surely they will not be able to impose any bans as Burnley will have a massive issue with anything affecting their player

I am betting a slap on the wrists, a fine that is less than a weeks salary and all swept under the carpet.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Make him part of the pride parade next year as a punishment. Arseless chaps, nipple clamps, little leather hat, he'll love it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37169558

I am pleased the FA have done something about this but why did it take the FA 4 years to do something about this?

Surely they will not be able to impose any bans as Burnley will have a massive issue with anything affecting their player

I am betting a slap on the wrists, a fine that is less than a weeks salary and all swept under the carpet.

Think the specific tweets only came to light very recently......

Wonder whether the FA have any social media monitoring of their own in place ?

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
If it's a ban, it sets a dangerous precedent for me: Worried about an opposition player in an upcoming fixture? Stalk his social media feeds going back years and years until you find something he once said that was rather stupid / offensive. Bring it to light and expect the FA to issue a ban. Perfect.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was certainly a stupider, less mature person at 21, probably said lots of stupid stuff, and was more grown up by 25. The ages Gray was then and now is.

I think the fact that these have been brought to light and widely seen, drawing widespread criticism and bad publicity, showing Gray up to have been a rather unpleasant lad, is probably embarrassing and punishing enough for the bloke. No matter how good a player he becomes, no big sponsors are going to go near him. Questions will be asked should he ever get an England call up. It's probably going to stick around his career like a bad smell.

I don't think a ban is necessary or wise. Perhaps a fine and donation to LGBT support causes would be more appropriate.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
"If it's a ban, it sets a dangerous precedent for me: Worried about an opposition player in an upcoming fixture? Stalk his social media feeds going back years and years until you find something he once said that was rather stupid / offensive. Bring it to light and expect the FA to issue a ban. Perfect"

Good point well made, Gray had a very troubled upbringing, the scar on his face is from a gang related fight. It's been widely accepted that he's a much more rounded person now than he was back then, though I understand the FA need to be seen to do something it could set a precedent.

As an aside I'd be interested to know how these tweets came to light, someone obviously went digging on his history to find them. Just in case anyone isn't clear, I found the tweets highly offensive and glad he's issued an apology.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
"If it's a ban, it sets a dangerous precedent for me: Worried about an opposition player in an upcoming fixture? Stalk his social media feeds going back years and years until you find something he once said that was rather stupid / offensive. Bring it to light and expect the FA to issue a ban. Perfect"

Good point well made, Gray had a very troubled upbringing, the scar on his face is from a gang related fight. It's been widely accepted that he's a much more rounded person now than he was back then, though I understand the FA need to be seen to do something it could set a precedent.

As an aside I'd be interested to know how these tweets came to light, someone obviously went digging on his history to find them. Just in case anyone isn't clear, I found the tweets highly offensive and glad he's issued an apology.

It's because he was trending on Twitter after the Liverpool game. Made people go back through his tweets I guess and someone went back further than others.

I'm not sure where I stand on this to be honest.

Obviously what he said was awful and entirely problematic but they were also the product of a man who is likely far removed from the man he is now. I understand that the FA has had to come out and do something but where's the limit?

What's the statute of limitations on dumb shit you said when you were a kid?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Think the specific tweets only came to light very recently......

Wonder whether the FA have any social media monitoring of their own in place ?

I would be surprised if they didn't now, but they probably didn't in 2012, and didn't trawl all the way back through a player's feed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would be surprised if they didn't now, but they probably didn't in 2012, and didn't trawl all the way back through a player's feed.

Agreed.....if I was a footballer with half a brain (fanciful concept, several seem not to have - particularly if they're prone to making comments like Gray did) I'd have a trawl through my own stuff and clean it up if necessary. I'd be very surprised if the clubs don't have social media policies (and possibly even contractual terms) on this now but as you say probably not in 2012.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If it's a ban, it sets a dangerous precedent for me: Worried about an opposition player in an upcoming fixture? Stalk his social media feeds going back years and years until you find something he once said that was rather stupid / offensive. Bring it to light and expect the FA to issue a ban. Perfect.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was certainly a stupider, less mature person at 21, probably said lots of stupid stuff, and was more grown up by 25. The ages Gray was then and now is.

I think the fact that these have been brought to light and widely seen, drawing widespread criticism and bad publicity, showing Gray up to have been a rather unpleasant lad, is probably embarrassing and punishing enough for the bloke. No matter how good a player he becomes, no big sponsors are going to go near him. Questions will be asked should he ever get an England call up. It's probably going to stick around his career like a bad smell.

I don't think a ban is necessary or wise. Perhaps a fine and donation to LGBT support causes would be more appropriate.

While I agree with this sentiment, there's saying stupid stuff and then there is voicing some pretty outrageous opinions for all the world to (eventually) see. For me, the issue isn't when he said it, or what type of person he is, it's the fact that he's stated these opinions out loud (in social media terms) in the first place, instead of keeping them to himself.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
wasn't his tweet something like " is it me or are gays everywhere these days"

Not PC but surely cant do him for that

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

You can add done hashtags to that tweet plus there were others .i think

Ps have a look at the first few pages of the Andre gray thread

Maybe this one should be merged with it

Aug 23, 2011

i believe whilst that tweet has negative connotations, it was followed by #burn #die or something so it wasn't a great leap to be read as him saying burn gay people. Whilst what he says is repulsive, at least he came straight out and said sorry rather than some who would claim hacking of their account or whatever

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can't belive there's people (mainly Burnley dullards who we all know are often stuck in the last century) saying 'It was 4 years ago - what's the issue?'. OK, he may have matured now (only people who actually KNEW the person then & now can say that for sure - ie not random fans and not Joey Barton) but he still has to be held responsible for his actions. A fine or whatever should be OK - I'm sure he's learnt his lesson. A positive thing is it may make some of the less educated CP2010FC / Leeds / Wednesday / Burnley fans who seem to think it's OK to be homophobic on twitter etc take note a bit more...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Agree. I think a ban is deserved for the comments (they are really bad) but the amount of time that has passed makes it difficult. However, if you commit a crime and change your life but then are arrested you will still be tried/convicted/imprisoned so why shouldn't Gray get a ban?

It makes you wonder if clubs look at past social media posts when signing a player and, if not, they certainly will be now after this.

It's a shame it didn't come to light before we played them in either game last year.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

This post probably ends all posts on this topic. Well said.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

I agree with all of this.

I do find there being some sort of horrible irony that it was football that has helped him turn his life around, yet it is the FA that are going to (potentially) punish him for the person he once was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here