Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone know of an Albion fan from Southwick, aged 50 or 51, called Ian Stacey?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
From Match Weekly in 1980:

ian.jpg

Anyway, on The Goldstone Ground Facebook group, we're trying to track him down... would love to get a few comments from him.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
So if he started drinking at 15 then he was probably pissed on the bus therefore, it probably wasnt even Gary Stevens he bumped into.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So if he started drinking at 15 then he was probably pissed on the bus therefore, it probably was even Gary Stevens he bumped into.

Or the Albion turned the boy Ian to alcohol.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Fame in Match Weekly can do that to you.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Can't be the real Ernest, though. No repetition in the letter.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm the right age, and from the right place, and got Match Weekly. But it wasn't me.

I did get a letter at about that time in the Guardian though. It was when some clubs were thinking of merging, and I suggested that Crystal Palace, QPR, and Charlton Athletic could become one and call themselves "Charlton Rangers And Palace" which would look good as an acronym. It appealed to the Grauniad's sense of humour anyway...

I'm not sure Gary Stevens would have been on the bus from Southwick. Mark Lawrenson & Gary Williams lived in Church Lane (I think), but I don't think Gary Stevens did?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I can’t help noticing how the magazine has totally distorted young Ian’s words. Steven’s had merely stated to young Ian that he read Match Weekly every week but the journalist has completely twisted his words and misleadingly portrayed Steven’s as a Match Weekly obsessive unfairly labeling him an “avid” reader of the magazine when there was nothing in Ian’s letter to suggest any such thing. The magazine also implies that Steven’s “persuaded” young Ian to start reading the magazine when Steven’s had used no such strong arm tactics to coerce and intimidate the young boy into buying the magazine, Steven’s had merely made a casual passing remark that he read that particular magazine on a weekly basis. It is this sort of irresponsible reporting that gives journalism a bad name and I’m wondering if the obvious distress caused to young Ian, when he saw how he had been so callously misrepresented, had in any way contributed to his downward spiral.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Probably became a fan of another team when we became shit again, plenty did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here