Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Sitcoms

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Talking of the passing of Anthony Jay, who wrote the brilliant Yes Minister ? Yes Prime Minister series prompted me to need to watch one of my other favourite sitcoms

Yes Minister / Yes Prime Minister

Porridge

and this,

"nothing to drink for me thanks"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well it would if we were still living in the 20th Century.

Plenty of shitcoms in the 21st centry for sure, but nothing that comes close to FT in my opinion.

And for the record, I absolutely adore Partridge, The Thick of It, The Office and Phoenix Nights, but I don't quite classify them as sitcoms. Its a grey area though, granted.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Fawlty Towers pretty much ends this thread.

Sorry.

This always used to be my answer but it now shares the top spot for me with 'Arrested Development'. Like FT, it just gets better and better every time you watch it.

Frasier, Blackadder, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office and probably some others sit on the second rung,

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Brits are spoiled for choice - but for me Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin wins by a country mile

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I always feel like 'Allo 'Allo is overlooked for more classics like blackadder and fawlty towers, but I watched it through recently and it was top drawer. Up there with the best I reckon.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Talking of the passing of Anthony Jay, who wrote the brilliant Yes Minister ? Yes Prime Minister series prompted me to need to watch one of my other favourite sitcoms

Porridge

and this,

I remember the laughter at school discussing the previous nights episode of Porridge. RIP Richard Beckinsale.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Early Doors was small but perfectly formed, Loved The office, Fawlty Towers

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Good Life was enjoyable, mainly for its chemistry between the lead characters. Briers and Kendal were very believable.

Not the best, but as a child the sheer bleakness of suburban turgidity struck a chord when I watched Butterflies. Detested Bread though....

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Partridge and Peep Show are my two stand out favourites.

I recently watched the second series of Mid Morning Matters properly on a plane, and it really is brilliant. That, along with the Scissored Isle episode got me wondering if there is any other sit-com/character that has managed to successfully reinvent itself time and time again to the extent AP has. It's/He's been a radio chat show host, TV chat show host, Fly on wall doc star, Auto-biographist (is that a word?), web-cam local DJ host, documentary producer and done a film. The recent stuff is as good as any of older stuff.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Porridge

and this,

Watching the speech at 9.20 reminds me of a few on here :)

"England should take heed of my entry into Europe" :) :) :)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Always surprises me, the Plaudits that FT receives. I watched it all again last year and it really isn't that funny and has dated terribly. I'm sure it's just me but I just never got the fuss. It has some brilliant moments but overall, very overrated.

Thick of It is great, if a bit repetitive.

The first series of I'm Alan Partridge, untouchable IMO.
Series 2&3 of Parks and Recreation
Marion and Geoff
Nighty Night
Human Remains
Catastrophe
Early Doors
And while it'll never be regarded as a classic I thought Man Down was great, especially when Rik Mayal was still in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here