Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9 days to go - Where will we be?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
With 9 days to go until the window slams shut, it will get interesting from here on out.

To stand any chance of challenging automatics, which has been the intent conveyed by the club since the end of last season, what in your opinion do we need to do? And does that differ to where you think we'll be in 9 days time?

For me personally, in order of importance:

- Keep hold of DS, BK, AK and LD. All of them, we cannot lose any.
- Bring in a quality no.10 for playing favoured 4411, we surely have substantial funds for this available.
- Defensive cover either at CB or FB, shouldn't break the bank for this one 1-2m tops.

If we fail any of the above it will damage our chances substantially. Just losing Stephens will set us back enough to settle for playoffs in my opinion, as the importance will shift radically to finding his replacement which will be no easy task. Central midfielders also take a while to bed in, even moreso a box-to-box pairing.

I doubt anyone thinks we are going to start the season with 3 strikers, it's just a matter of the quality we bring in, which given the time our recruitment team has been looking, you would hope they have something to excite us with around the corner.

Bring it on, i'm still hopeful.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with this, but isn't it all covered elsewhere on the board?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think bringing Liam Ridgewell back is the answer, i know he's not the most flamboyant fullback BUT he's solid defensively and can play CB and LB.. and from what I could see on twitter ETC looked like he really fitted in with the squad

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think bringing Liam Ridgewell back is the answer, i know he's not the most flamboyant fullback BUT he's solid defensively and can play CB and LB.. and from what I could see on twitter ETC looked like he really fitted in with the squad

Hasnt he extended his contract in USA, so we will probably need to look nearer home.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Why do transfer windows always have to be slammed shut? Everybody has known for months that the deadline is at the end of August so it's hardly unexpected. I like to think of the transfer deadline as a nice sash window being gently brought down.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1) Keep hold of Knockaert and Kayal and refuse all bids unless the bid is over £170 million ( PL promotion reward ).

2) Keep hold of Stephens and Dunk and the rest unless the bid is sky high silly money, in which case sell and replace.

3) Bring in a striker.

4) Bring in a central defender.

5) Hope Danny Holla gets his move back to NL.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
1) Keep hold of Knockaert and Kayal and refuse all bids unless the bid is over £170 million ( PL promotion reward ).

2) Keep hold of Stephens and Dunk and the rest unless the bid is sky high silly money, in which case sell and replace.

3) Bring in a striker.

4) Bring in a central defender.

5) Hope Danny Holla gets his move back to NL.

I think that you should combine 1 and 2 as both are as important to our aims.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Agree with all of that, although arguably if Goldson and the German is nearly fit we could do without a centre half? I wouldn't have said that a few weeks ago but Bruno has been miles better than I expected and Dunk is just superb at the moment.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I like to think of the transfer deadline as a nice sash window being gently brought down.

With no loans available it is being slammed shut more noisily than ever. I would say it's more like closing the safe door of a very large bank or perhaps the door of a nucleur fall out facility.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree with all of that, although arguably if Goldson and the German is nearly fit we could do without a centre half? I wouldn't have said that a few weeks ago but Bruno has been miles better than I expected and Dunk is just superb at the moment.

I think that is a very blinkered view as Bruno has been immense but he is likely to be exposed soon by better strikers than we have faced so far. It was a good job Assambalonga didnt play for Forest as I think that he would have shown up Bruno's weaknesses as a CB. Gayle is next up.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Why do transfer windows always have to be slammed shut? Everybody has known for months that the deadline is at the end of August so it's hardly unexpected. I like to think of the transfer deadline as a nice sash window being gently brought down.

I see where you're coming from and surely it will get interesting from here on in rather than here on out?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

That would leave us with just six senior defenders. Most positions have two players vying for the spot, so on that basis we'd be two short in defence. This is too much of a risk. I don't think we necessarily need two more defenders, just the one will do especially if they're flexible. We could do a lot worse than Tim Fosu-Mensah on a season loan, who can play anywhere across the defence.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
2 in - 1 AM/ST, 1 CB/FB cover

2 out - Holla (permanent), Ince (loan)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills