Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T shed base

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Hi to the builders out there.

Doing a 12x8 shed base at weekend. Will a big bag of ballast be enough? how many bags of cement and would say a 4 to 1 mix do it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you'll need a shed load of concreate. using one of the gravel calculators it reckons 2 big bags for 3inch depth. so you'll need a half ton or 15 bags of cement. and a mixer. should put down some lose sub-base too, a bag worth of that? (bag is about 800-900kg depending whats in it i think)

i looked at doing a base half the size and been throughly put off concreate and looking at the plastic mesh bases instead.

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
3m x 2.4m x 0.75m concrete base will require 1 x jumbo (or maxi, depending on supplier) bag ballast and approx 10 bags o/p cement. If mixing yourself using mini belle mixer, 1/2 bag of cement to full drum of ballast (about 12 shovels of ballast) Which is about 1 full barrow load.
Depth of base is generally dependant on your sub base and soil. Alternately, put down sharp sand/cement base and lay 600 x 600 slabs on them, less messy and quicker.

Last edited:

oxymoron

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 25, 2011
quick rule of concreting multiply width and length eg. 4mtrs x 3mtrs =12. move the decimal point forward one place for 100mm thickness ie.1.2 cubic mtrs that means 2 bulk bags at .6 cubic mtr if you want to lay at 150 just add 50% to the bulk bag quantity and use mix as detailed above if using belle mixer, if you have not mixed this amount of material before get a builder mate to help, builders do it all the time and make it look easy, but it can be back breaking, enjoy:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a load of old nonce.

I've got an 8x6 at the back of my garden. Dug out and flattened the ground nice and level, bought a load of paving slabs and some sand, laid it all out nice and flat, put some underlay down under the slabs. The shed was build on top of that base about 5 years ago, and is still tip top. Bollocks to concreting.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What a load of old nonce.

I've got an 8x6 at the back of my garden. Dug out and flattened the ground nice and level, bought a load of paving slabs and some sand, laid it all out nice and flat, put some underlay down under the slabs. The shed was build on top of that base about 5 years ago, and is still tip top. Bollocks to concreting.

Same here without the sheeting. Reinforced the floor of the shed with some extra struts.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

It's all about the base, no rubble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here