Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Germany prepares for possible attatck

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-germany-security-stockpiling-idUKKCN10W0NE

For the first time since the end of the Cold War, the German government plans to tell citizens to stockpile food and water in case of an attack or catastrophe, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung newspaper reported on Sunday.

Germany is currently on high alert after two Islamist attacks and a shooting rampage by a mentally unstable teenager last month. Berlin announced measures earlier this month to spend considerably more on its police and security forces and to create a special unit to counter cyber crime and terrorism.

"The population will be obliged to hold an individual supply of food for ten days," the newspaper quoted the government's "Concept for Civil Defence" - which has been prepared by the Interior Ministry - as saying.

The paper said a parliamentary committee had originally commissioned the civil defence strategy in 2012.

A spokesman for the Interior Ministry said the plan would be discussed by the cabinet on Wednesday and presented by the minister that afternoon. He declined to give any details on the content.

People will be required to stockpile enough drinking water to last for five days, according to the plan, the paper said.

The 69-page report does not see an attack on Germany's territory, which would require a conventional style of national defence, as likely.

However, the precautionary measures demand that people "prepare appropriately for a development that could threaten our existence and cannot be categorically ruled out in the future," the paper cited the report as saying.

It also mentions the necessity of a reliable alarm system, better structural protection of buildings and more capacity in the health system, the paper said.

A further priority should be more support of the armed forces by civilians, it added.

Germany's Defence Minister said earlier this month the country lay in the "crosshairs of terrorism" and pressed for plans for the military to train more closely with police in preparing for potential large-scale militant attacks.

(Writing by Caroline Copley; Editing by Andrew Bolton)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My craft beer reserves are always well maintained.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody got any ideas what the underlying reason may be for Germany's sudden flurry of dicking-about scaremongering? Is it just an anti-Merkel smear campaign? Or something else? ???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37164960

Germany considers return of conscription for civil defence

'Germany may reintroduce a form of national service for civilians to help the army deal with a future disaster.
The role of civilians is part of a new civil defence strategy to be discussed by the government on Wednesday.
Since the strategy was leaked to the media there has been intense debate about stockpiling food and water.
In a crisis civilians might be obliged to help direct traffic or provide fuel and accommodation for the military, German news agency DPA reported.
Germans appeared generally unfazed by what some MPs have called government "scaremongering" but the word "Wehrpflicht" (conscription) was trending on social media on Tuesday.
The topic of civil defence also boosted the popularity of hamsters on social media, as Germans, with more than a hint of irony, adopted the hashtag "Hamsterkaeufe", which means panic-buying or hoarding like a hamster.
Germany's Die Tageszeitung daily sported a big picture of a hamster on its front page, with the headline "The End is Nigh" - which was widely tweeted.'

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anybody got any ideas what the underlying reason may be for Germany's sudden flurry of dicking-about scaremongering?

I think it might be something to do with the free-for-all that has led to over a million mainly young male migrants settle in Germany and the huge and very real terrorist risk that it poses. But that's just me guessing.

D

Deleted member 22389

Don't know why anyone is the slightest bit surprised in Germany, warning signs long before Merkel invited everyone, but hey it was much better and easier to crush anyone who voiced concerns about it at the time. Wake up Germany, France, Italy, Belgium you are ruining your countries.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Don't know why anyone is the slightest bit surprised in Germany, warning signs long before Merkel invited everyone, but hey it was much better and easier to crush anyone who voiced concerns about it at the time. Wake up Germany, France, Italy, Belgium you are ruining your countries.

"warning signs long before Merkel invited everyone"...... Correct, in 2011 i worked with many Germans, they did indeed voice their concerns. I have to state i only spoke to a very small minority, i daresay the rest had a completely different opinion.:)

D

Deleted member 22389

"warning signs long before Merkel invited everyone"...... Correct, in 2011 i worked with many Germans, they did indeed voice their concerns. I have to state i otnly spoke to a very small minority, i daresay the rest had a completely different opinion.:)

The rest will work it out soon enough, once they find out they are paying for everyone and not seeing any benefits from it, added to that all the cultural changes that are required, they will see it is not worth it. There are genuine people, but like every other government in the EU they have cocked up and don't have a clue who is coming in to their country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anybody got any ideas what the underlying reason may be for Germany's sudden flurry of dicking-about scaremongering? Is it just an anti-Merkel smear campaign? Or something else? ???

Just a bit of grandstanding due to the forthcoming elections; there's a lot of other nonsense being spouted as well...not just this. Nothing to get excited about.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I think it might be something to do with the free-for-all that has led to over a million mainly young male migrants settle in Germany and the huge and very real terrorist risk that it poses. But that's just me guessing.

I think you could be right..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is this a real thing or just some bureaucrat brushing down old cold war documentation to draft their civil defense strategy? seems a massive disproportionate response to even worse case civil unrest, more like preperation for invasion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Germans advised to stockpile water in case something really unlikely happens. Usual suspects up in arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Germans advised to stockpile water in case something really unlikely happens. Usual suspects up in arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Brexit I'm puzzled as to the continued obsession with Germany and Merkel. Still, it's always good advice to have plenty of water to hand.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And now Turkey are allegedly setting up a Stasi style police in Germany - happy days

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Stop talking sense.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Sex starved frustrated men and many of these will sadly go down the wrong path....thrusting so many people into Europe was always going to be a disaster with massive cultural differences.

Europe has been ruined forever

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here