Olympics stats

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
Some great Olympic number work here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37148372

My favourite being we are third on the all time Olympic table if, as the BBC have done, we conveniently class East Germany as a separate country to Germany.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I love stats like this

However pinch of salt here. 1908 where we hoovered up medals yet there were only 22 countries competing...including Bohemia.

So are we really third bearing in mind the world we know now was very different in the early days of the Olympics.

Good fun tho and whichever way you slice it with more nations competing these days its one helluva achievement.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
153 gold medals in only 5 summer Olympics. I wonder how many of them, if any, were actually not on drugs.

Fair point. Interesting to note Russia and China's relative decline since the drug rules were tightened. And what has happened to France?

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Fair point. Interesting to note Russia and China's relative decline since the drug rules were tightened. And what has happened to France?

Yeah that is an interesting observation about China this time round, they had no reason other than the obvious to fade so badly. Obviously Russia only had 70% of their athletes representing this time so it is understandable.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yeah that is an interesting observation about China this time round, they had no reason other than the obvious to fade so badly. Obviously Russia only had 70% of their athletes representing this time so it is understandable.

Russia should have been banned altogether IMHO

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if, as the BBC have done, we conveniently class East Germany as a separate country to Germany.
They have to be classed as separate, as I said with the EU. There's a limit to how many athletes a country can enter into each event, so adding East and West Germany would break the rules. I imagine a fair few East German medals are due to drugs anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah that is an interesting observation about China this time round, they had no reason other than the obvious to fade so badly.
They do have a reason, countries typically do very well at their home Olympics, then tale-off in the subsequent games. Except us of course, we're the first country ever to do better in the Olympics following hosting it.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Bolton won the same number of gold medals as Argentina, so we're currently 22nd in the world.

When we adopt Laura Trott, we'll move up to 17th in the world.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I love stats like this

However pinch of salt here. 1908 where we hoovered up medals yet there were only 22 countries competing...including Bohemia.

So are we really third bearing in mind the world we know now was very different in the early days of the Olympics.

Good fun tho and whichever way you slice it with more nations competing these days its one helluva achievement.

To be fair, Bohemia was a country in its own right.

England even played a full international footy match against them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here