Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Brighton" v "Albion"

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
I have noticed an increasing use of "Brighton" instead of Albion in the last few years both on here and elsewhere.

There used to a thing that others called us Brighton, and we called ourselves Albion. Is this dying with the new generation?

And yes it's a slow work day!

Tim Over Whelmed

Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Always been "Albion" for me, but people who know I'm a little obsessed always ask how "Brighton" are getting on.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Taken from Brighton & Hove Albion On This Day

Wednesday 7th September 1966
In the programme versus Bournemouth, the ‘Post bag’ section dealt with two issues: a fan asked why supporters don’t use ‘the Shrimps’ as a nickname to which the club replied; “Albion is the word we use – short, easy and it just suits us.” Several letters arrived at the Goldstone Ground concerning the “use of horns, rattles, bells, whistles and trumpets during the Swindon match.” The club replied; “Noise is all part of the soccer scene, but we feel certain our followers will cooperate in not making an unnecessary disturbance.”

Always Albion for me...

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Supported all my life, been going to games for 40 odd years and I probably use Brighton mostly, but sometimes I say Albion. I guess that's just the whacky and unpredictable kind of guy I am.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I saw an objection to UTA on here the other day.

I use both, but it depends on who I am talking to. Our fans, I say Albion, those who aren't, I say Brighton.

el punal

Always been "Albion" for me, but people who know I'm a little obsessed always ask how "Brighton" are getting on.

Pretty much spot on. Non-Brighton and Hove Albion followers call us Brighton. For locals (ie those in Sussex) and fans, it's the Albion. For the media it's the Seagulls, preceded by Super, Soaraway, Sensational, Scintillating, or any other hysteria inducing label.

For Crystal Palace followers it is something entirely different - a red mist of jealous angst corrupts their collective, bitter conscience. They do try to avoid terms like better, superior, well run, excellent when describing us. Pity them!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
There's (apparently) another team or two who enjoy the sobriquet "Albion" which seems to confuse some into thinking we might be flare trousered three star jumper wearing midlanders or worse if we omitted the Brighton element in general chit-chat.

There is, obviously, only one Brighton* in the United Kingdom

*in don't know if New Brighton have a team.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
There's (apparently) another team or two who enjoy the sobriquet "Albion" which seems to confuse some into thinking we might be flare trousered three star jumper wearing midlanders or worse if we omitted the Brighton element in general chit-chat.

There is, obviously, only one Brighton* in the United Kingdom

*in don't know if New Brighton have a team.

I think there is one in Australia!

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I expect to get flamed to high hell for this but I usually avoid saying "Albion" when speaking to non-Brighton fans as I assume they'll think I'm referring to that other team with who are a bit more popular and in the public eye...

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't you mean:-

Bri-un.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Use both

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Diablo

Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Brighton for me if shortened. Surely it has to be. if asked who do you support? Albion means nothing, unless of course you say "Brighton and Hove Albion"

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Always say 'the albion'. Worst thing ever is this new thing that seems to be more common: 'Brighton FC'. It's horrendous. I even saw a Twitter account (trying to be a fans one) that said 'All the latest from Brighton FC' - horrible!

Don't mind the term 'BHA' as a shortened version in text speak personally.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here