Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any boaters out there

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
NSC seems to be a wealth of knowledge so here goes. Looking to buy my first boat, a family one, for messing about, water skiing, fishing etc. Would aim small to learn. Kicking around btw Jeanneau Cap Camarat 4.7, Ribeye A500 or a Linder 460. Would welcome input from those with experience. Thx

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
NSC needs an 'Official Boating Thread'

Been thinking about this myself, days out and a bit of fishing so would be looking at those designed more for the latter but as soon as I get the time it's definitely on the agenda.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brother in law has a fishing boat moored in Lttlehampton and when talking about the cost apparently it is a very expensive hobby. I wonder would 1 boat be suitable for both water skiing and fishing?

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
what's your budget?
Not a cheap hobby, sure you can buy an eBay special for £500, but it will be old and unreliable. and costs just addon't up with all the gear, life jackets, wetsuits for skiers, anchor, radio, tow bar, launch fee or moring fee.

If you have a proper budget of at least a few grand, then plenty of fun to be had. I would strongly recommend RYA power boat course, learn about handling a craft and all the safety aspects that you need to think about, like tides, what to carry, how to run a craft etc etc....
I would also do the RYA vhf radio course, a must imo.
Bust Open Anther Thousand.......

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
what's your budget?
Not a cheap hobby, sure you can buy an eBay special for £500, but it will be old and unreliable. and costs just addon't up with all the gear, life jackets, wetsuits for skiers, anchor, radio, tow bar, launch fee or moring fee.

If you have a proper budget of at least a few grand, then plenty of fun to be had. I would strongly recommend RYA power boat course, learn about handling a craft and all the safety aspects that you need to think about, like tides, what to carry, how to run a craft etc etc....

Great advice based on the research I've done already.......also a bit concerned about navigation.

Personally would be looking at a reasonably sturdy day boat that is designed for angling, probably in the 20-25ft range and up to maybe £25k. Something like this would be ideal for me. Have done a lot of fishing in similar boats in the past with pals but would love to get my own. Not too worried about mooring fees, would go for convenience and ease of access.

http://www.brightonboatsales.co.uk/boats-for-sale/quicksilver-640-pilothouse/

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
what's your budget?

Thanks. Budget will be ok for the types of boats i outlined, new or close to. Torn btw really simple to own and fast (aluminim boat, 50 hp) or bigger, more stable and better for more people but perhaps more hassle. I am edging to the former. Nerous though that after a summer i will want to trade up...

Good tip re RYA, was thinknig about one course but will look to widen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brother in laws is out of the water having engine repairs etc When he told me about it I asked about the cost and he said the cost would be about 12k I then asked if it was worth doing and he said the most he would get for the boat is about £25k because it needs work on it so I asked about replacing it and he said that would be in the region of £150k plus. I dont know anything about it but I do know it cost him £5k to lift it out of the water, store it and then when repaired to put it back in at Littlehampton. It seems an expensive pastime to me. Also it does about 2.5 miles to the gallon on red diesel and he goes out about 15 miles

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Brother in laws is out of the water having engine repairs etc When he told me about it I asked about the cost and he said the cost would be about 12k I then asked if it was worth doing and he said the most he would get for the boat is about £25k because it needs work on it so I asked about replacing it and he said that would be in the region of £150k plus. I dont know anything about it but I do know it cost him £5k to lift it out of the water, store it and then when repaired to put it back in at Littlehampton. It seems an expensive pastime to me. Also it does about 2.5 miles to the gallon on red diesel and he goes out about 15 miles

Is that how far he needs to be before you're out of radio range ?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Great advice based on the research I've done already.......also a bit concerned about navigation.

Personally would be looking at a reasonably sturdy day boat that is designed for angling, probably in the 20-25ft range and up to maybe £25k. Something like this would be ideal for me. Have done a lot of fishing in similar boats in the past with pals but would love to get my own. Not too worried about mooring fees, would go for convenience and ease of access.

Ive recently done my Day Skipper practical and theory (all be it on a sail boat) which are both very worthwhile. Day skipper theory can be done online and should give you enough knowledge to feel safe navigating. Theory is normally around £295. The VHF course i took was £45 and its £60 to register.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apparently all to do with the fishing available. I wouldnt go out of Littlehampton on it as I have no sea legs although he has all the papers and navigation etc but its not for me.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ive recently done my Day Skipper practical and theory (all be it on a sail boat) which are both very worthwhile. Day skipper theory can be done online and should give you enough knowledge to feel safe navigating. Theory is normally around £295. The VHF course i took was £45 and its £60 to register.

Cheers [emoji106]

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Nice boat. You love your fishing! I am going for something more rounded but budget might end up being the same if i go higher end. For something smaller i dont need to moor, can put on a trailer

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nice boat. You love your fishing! I am going for something more rounded but budget might end up being the same if i go higher end. For something smaller i dont need to moor, can put on a trailer

I do but have done hardly any in the last few years due to work and other stuff. Just thinking ahead to when the work stuff stops, would like to be ready to get out fishing (or just bobbing around offshore) straight away rather than having to start from the beginning at that point..........

Can't be arsed with all the trailer hassle (used to fish with a pal in Jersey who did this) and don't really want a boat on the drive all the time. Would rather stump up for the fees and leave it ready to go.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I do but have done hardly any in the last few years due to work and other stuff. Just thinking ahead to when the work stuff stops, would like to be ready to get out fishing (or just bobbing around offshore) straight away rather than having to start from the beginning at that point..........

Can't be arsed with all the trailer hassle (used to fish with a pal in Jersey who did this) and don't really want a boat on the drive all the time. Would rather stump up for the fees and leave it ready to go.

PARKING the boat on the drive, what is the hassle? That was the route i was going down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here