Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Olympics,i could only happen in the UK.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Unlike Germany where it would never happen. Letters in the press local and national,radio phone-ins,people complaining about the Olympics and the cost of winning a medal. The arguement being "the money could have been spent on the Education/Nhs etc" altough from what i understand most of the funding is National Lottery and performance related ? For me if Beijeng,London and now Rio are the result of Lottery funding i will go for that. Two week of non-politics (can we make it 52?) is not a bad thing.
:ohmy:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unlike Germany where it would never happen. Letters in the press local and national,radio phone-ins,people complaining about the Olympics and the cost of winning a medal. The arguement being "the money could have been spent on the Education/Nhs etc" altough from what i understand most of the funding is National Lottery and performance related ? For me if Beijeng,London and now Rio are the result of Lottery funding i will go for that. Two week of non-politics (can we make it 52?) is not a bad thing.
:ohmy:
I'm more concerned about the cost of buying the right to hold the Olympics from the IOC.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If we used lottery funding for MHS or education then the government would simply spend that much less on them pound for pound to no additional gain.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To be fair, the complaints (from what I can see) have been few and far between. But the advantages can be measure in other ways.

I've just come back from my daughter's rugby training and have been hearing stories of the positive effects. One of the RFU development officers said that one club had an open day last weekend and 32 new players turned up and one of the parents, whose involved in a swimming club, said they have to implement a waiting list such is the interest. I can only imagine what's happening with hockey - I reckon they're going to be swamped.

Btw. If anyone reading this is a teenage girl or has a teenage daughter/niece interested in playing rugby, Hove RFC would love to have you. They're launching a girls team for the first time and they still need a few players

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was thinking about this the other day.
For me I think it is shocking that in 2016 education and NHS is so underfunded and struggling with MP's lying and fudging the figures about how much is spent on them.
Education and NHS ( and child poverty) is far more important than Olympic medals so I can see the argument for using lottery money to fund education and health but the argument should not be raised in the first place.
I am very proud of our results in Rio and that is what lottery money should be spent on but due to our lying, disgusting governments who, as said above would only further cut spending anyway, the priority should be helping the kids and the ill in this country.
I despise the vast majority of our MP's

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sport is a great distraction from real life and has been a fantastic pick me up following the political shambles in the country and the horrific acts of world terrorism.

Worth every penny in my opinion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was thinking about this the other day.
For me I think it is shocking that in 2016 education and NHS is so underfunded and struggling with MP's lying and fudging the figures about how much is spent on them.

the NHS isnt underfunded, it just spends more than its currently given. you could budget another 50bn and it would be swallowed up and still overspend.

if you didnt have things like the Olypmics, what would be the point of all that better health? sit around till your 90's looking at the scenary?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
the NHS isnt underfunded, it just spends more than its currently given. you could budget another 50bn and it would be swallowed up and still overspend.

if you didnt have things like the Olypmics, what would be the point of all that better health? sit around till your 90's looking at the scenary?

If the NHS needs a certain amount of money to provide a service and meet its targets but is unable to do so with the money it is given then it is underfunded.
The education budget is also underfunded.
You could argue that the NHS has been very poorly managed for many years but that is a totally different argument.
All that dosh that Osborne miraculously found down the back of the sofa when he didn't get his own way like a spoilt kid would have helped.
I know many people who work in the NHS including my sister, none of them would say that the NHS budget is enough to allow them to provide the required service and meet their targets, especially in A&E.
But I am not saying that lottery money should fund it, I am saying the argument should not even exist .

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
money spent on getting kids in this country playing sport and keeping fit is money well spent, even if it is indirectly. Gwylans example is a good one.

We dont necessarily need elite cyclists but we need a culture where kids want to (most do anyway naturally) participate in sports and are inspired to.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Give the NHS and extra 50bn would mean higher paid management and no change to anybody else. It's rotten at the top not the bottom.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If the NHS needs a certain amount of money to provide a service and meet its targets but is unable to do so with the money it is given then it is underfunded.
The education budget is also underfunded.
You could argue that the NHS has been very poorly managed for many years but that is a totally different argument.
All that dosh that Osborne miraculously found down the back of the sofa when he didn't get his own way like a spoilt kid would have helped.
I know many people who work in the NHS including my sister, none of them would say that the NHS budget is enough to allow them to provide the required service and meet their targets, especially in A&E.
But I am not saying that lottery money should fund it, I am saying the argument should not even exist .

Part underfunded perhaps, but also part very badly managed isn't it ? Money being spent on the wrong things (failed IT system implementation, expensive contract staff, too many desk-bound managers and executives etc). We could get a lot more direct care for the same money if it was more efficiently spent perhaps.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Now the time to put more money in but in to grassroot sports more allweather pitches and more running tracks and protect school playing fields which should be made available for local junior clubs at reduced costs we talk about kids getting fat then we moan about the cost of sports. Be proud of what we have archived .GB :)

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Now the time to put more money in but in to grassroot sports more allweather pitches and more running tracks and protect school playing fields which should be made available for local junior clubs at reduced costs we talk about kids getting fat then we moan about the cost of sports. Be proud of what we have archived .GB :)

Hope the Olympics success inspires a lot more kids to get fit rather than sit in front of their laptop 24/7.

We wouldn't need to keep spending more and more every year on NHS if kids and adults took a bit more responsibility for their own health.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Most Lottery money is spent on health and education already

n the year ending 31 March 2016, the funds were shared as follows:

Health, education, environment and charitable causes – 40%
Sport – 20%
Arts – 20%
Heritage – 20%

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Also angers me that people moan endlessly about lottery money spent on sport (which as the past few weeks has shown, attracts mass interest and delight when we do well) yet hardly anyone moans about lottery money spent on more elitist pursuits like the royal opera house which only benefit a few metropolitan toffs.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If people are going to complain about the Olympics, it should be about the publicly funded BBC, and their continuing moving coverage between BBC 1 and BBC 2 because no doubt there are millions of people who are unable to switch channels to watch Eastenders or the 10 o'clock news.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
To be fair, the complaints (from what I can see) have been few and far between. But the advantages can be measure in other ways.

I've just come back from my daughter's rugby training and have been hearing stories of the positive effects. One of the RFU development officers said that one club had an open day last weekend and 32 new players turned up and one of the parents, whose involved in a swimming club, said they have to implement a waiting list such is the interest. I can only imagine what's happening with hockey - I reckon they're going to be swamped.

Btw. If anyone reading this is a teenage girl or has a teenage daughter/niece interested in playing rugby, Hove RFC would love to have you. They're launching a girls team for the first time and they still need a few players

Could well be like Wimbledon, give it a month or so and things return to normal

Councils could do loads more to support local clubs without having to throw cash at it tbh! The council seem to take great delight in making things difficult for grass root clubs run by volunteers???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here