Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle match increasing in importance?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
With a very average performance at Reading (reality check) and Stephens looking more likely to jump ship is our away day performance/result at pre season favourites Newcastle likely to significantly effect our ability to mount a serious sustained promotion challenge this season?

Worst case scenario - Stephens leaves, we perform poorly and loose at Geordieville in front of 50,000 plus vociferous fans causing Knocky to have doubts possibly triggering others (Dunk) to reconsider/look elsewhere or ....

We perform well - draw/win Stephens possibly plays/stays or even goes and we still strengthen.

Season already in the balance ...

:shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With a very average performance at Reading (reality check) and Stephens looking more likely to jump ship is our away day performance/result at pre season favourites Newcastle likely to significantly effect our ability to mount a serious sustained promotion challenge this season?

Worst case scenario - Stephens leaves, we perform poorly and loose at Geordieville in front of 50,000 plus vociferous fans causing Knocky to have doubts possibly triggering others (Dunk) to reconsider/look elsewhere or ....

We perform well - draw/win Stephens possibly plays/stays or even goes and we still strengthen.

Yeah - worst case is we perform badly and we lose a game away to the pre-season red-hot favourites for the title and our season is potentially OVER with only 41 games left.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yep. Our season depends on one game

Two away games unbeaten two home games 3-0 wins...why don't we all shit ourselves we're going down :tosser:

Yeah - worst case is we perform badly and we lose a game away to the pre-season red-hot favourites for the title and our season is potentially OVER with only 41 games left.

Possibly I went a bit OTT on the melodrama but the question ..is our away day performance/result at pre season favourites Newcastle likely to significantly effect our ability to mount a serious sustained promotion challenge this season? .. is a reasonable one. Personally I think it plausible that Stephens leaving plus a poor performance/loss would raise doubts increasing concerns that others might be more tempted to head for the exit door.

These supposed magical new strengthening signings that could be just around the corner don't grow on trees which is why we appear to be going after a reasonably average centre half in the championship as a main target .. after signing a reasonable but average championship midfielder to help replace (?) the exceptional Stephens.

Good start but we need to strengthen the overall squad compared to last season.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Heard a rumour today that if we win next Saturday we win the league by default...

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Will be an interesting test and they look like they are doing a little better, but they've not really played anyone yet ;-)

Certainly not a season breaker/maker in any respect.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Possibly I went a bit OTT on the melodrama but the question ..is our away day performance/result at pre season favourites Newcastle likely to significantly effect our ability to mount a serious sustained promotion challenge this season? .. is a reasonable one. Personally I think it plausible that Stephens leaving plus a poor performance/loss would raise doubts increasing concerns that others might be more tempted to head for the exit door.

These supposed magical new strengthening signings that could be just around the corner don't grow on trees which is why we appear to be going after a reasonably average centre half in the championship as a main target .. after signing a reasonable but average championship midfielder to help replace (?) the exceptional Stephens.

Good start but we need to strengthen the overall squad compared to last season.

Yes, a bit OTT on the melodrama I would say.

You could equally have started a thread saying how great it will be when we tear the Geordies a new one in front of their sobbing sports direct-attired fans, with Knocky showing just why he isn't interested in moving to a freezing Northern outpost run by a lunatic chairman...............

No-one on here really has the first clue as to who we may or may not be after.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
With a very average performance as a member of the EU (reality check) and investors looking more likely to jump ship is our Brexit vote likely to significantly effect our ability to mount a serious sustained economic performance?

Worst case scenario - we leave the EU, we perform poorly and loose our bang tidy financial sector in front of 50,000,000,000 plus vociferous mocking Europeans causing Amex to have doubts possibly triggering others (the Chinese, Japanese, etc.) to reconsider/look elsewhere or ....

We perform well - increasing our exports of, (er, fill in later - not sure what we export) and we still strengthen.

Our future already in the balance ...

or :rant:

Only kiding! I lost, I'm over it :cheers::lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes, a bit OTT on the melodrama I would say.

You could equally have started a thread saying how great it will be when we tear the Geordies a new one in front of their sobbing sports direct-attired fans, with Knocky showing just why he isn't interested in moving to a freezing Northern outpost run by a lunatic chairman...............

No-one on here really has the first clue as to who we may or may not be after.

I prefer your narrative/scenario and hope you are correct. Just having early season collie wobbles .. definitely a glass half empty evening. :wink:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Why not be even more pessimistic we lose 7-0 without Stephens who is sold in the week. Dunk receives a straight red and is out for the next 3 games and we have no central defenders as both Goldson and Uwe break down in training with recurring injuries. Also during the game both Knockaert and Murray are stretchered off with season ending injuries. Stockdale fails to overcome the nightmare of the goals and spends the rest of the season doing a good impression of Wayne Henderson.

CH is sacked as we are relegated in January after going a record breaking 25 games without a point.

In the real world we put in a strong defensive display and don't lose the game and carry on out unbeaten start to the season.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why not be even more pessimistic we lose 7-0 without Stephens who is sold in the week. Dunk receives a straight red and is out for the next 3 games and we have no central defenders as both Goldson and Uwe break down in training with recurring injuries. Also during the game both Knockaert and Murray are stretchered off with season ending injuries. Stockdale fails to overcome the nightmare of the goals and spends the rest of the season doing a good impression of Wayne Henderson.

CH is sacked as we are relegated in January after going a record breaking 25 games without a point.

Now that's just silly.

In the real world we put in a strong defensive display and don't lose the game and carry on out unbeaten start to the season.

Possible, plausible even likely and hope it happens. But equally the real world could see Rosenior out injured, Bong playing who is widely acknowledged to be underperforming/weak link and having a heroic rightback playing a makeshift CB role.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
or :rant:

Only kiding! I lost, I'm over it :cheers::lolol:

I just lost The Game.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
We've only lost 2 of our last 26 away Championship games (despite some wobbly performances en route) and I hope that statistic will trouble Newcastle more than us worrying about them being the bookies' Championship favourites. It'll be our toughest test so far this season but even with Rosenior injured I'd like to think that Hughton is savvy enough to set us up to contain them and, hopefully, sneak a win. I'll be delighted if we can pick up a point, which I think is entirely possible, and ecstatic if it's all three. We'll be the underdogs and that suits Hughton and the lads psychologically. Am I nervous? Yes. Pessimistic? No!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I'm sorry, but that is abject nonsense. We have only played four games, the season is barely underway yet! If players thought the way that you do they would want to be jumping ship every few weeks.

My God, we didn't lose yesterday did we? no one is dead. Reading is a ground that we rarely do well at anyway. Even if we lose at Newcastle next weekend it won't be the end of the world. Very few teams will come away from there with anything this season

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
All games are important in this league and the only thing guaranteed is that Dunk will get a yellow card, happens every game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Win at home, draw away.

After 4 games we are on target.

So a draw v Newcastle is a fine result. Lose and we are just a point down. Not a disaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here