Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

T20 cricket this has to stop.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well from what i understand the T20 format is to change from all county open play into a franchise involing anything from eight to ten counties set on a on a business model ? Well i suppose that will stop pesky "small" clubs like Kent,Leicestershire,Northamptonshire(some might even include Hampshire and Somerset) even Sussex winning it and spoiling it for the so called "big" clubs. Well done Northamptonshire. :clap2:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Northamptonshire. The male cricketing equivalent of the GB Women's Hockey team. Congratulations to you both.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Well from what i understand the T20 format is to change from all county open play into a franchise involing anything from eight to ten counties set on a on a business model ? Well i suppose that will stop pesky "small" clubs like Kent,Leicestershire,Northamptonshire(some might even include Hampshire and Somerset) even Sussex winning it and spoiling it for the so called "big" clubs. Well done Northamptonshire. :clap2:

It's very much in the fledgling stages. I don't think franchises will work. I support Sussex not Southampton, 'Southern Shooters', 'South East Sock It To Them' or whatever buggery bollocks the team would be called.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Agree with B/L however just Google Warwickshire CCC and look at the first three "hits" that for me says it all.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If they do this County Cricket will die on it's arse. Without T20 the club income will dwindle to nothing

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
If they do this County Cricket will die on it's arse. Without T20 the club income will dwindle to nothing

Sadly it is falling on its arse. I don't think this is the best way forward, mind.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
The "brains" behind this lunacy is a grocer called Colin Graves.

Graves is a cricket man and no fool. He knows the finances of cricket in this country are looking shaky. Hopefully, with his Yorkshire roots, he understands how important county cricket is to many. The problem is that it isn't as important to a lot of cricket's cash cows. I'm fighting for tradition here, but I accept I may be denying the reality of things. The game has changed.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They want to compete with the moneybags IPL I should think. For the purists of cricket, this T20 is a circus. Just add the big red noses. But this is the format that will get the crowds and get Olympic status. I went to a Middx v Sussex T20 last summer, on a weekday and 20,000 crowd. That doesn't happen in one dayers and 4 day games. This is a money spinner and they want to take the IPL on. It'll end up like the Prem league equivalent. It isn't really my thing but I'd still go watch just for the fun of it.

el punal

It's very much in the fledgling stages. I don't think franchises will work. I support Sussex not Southampton, 'Southern Shooters', 'South East Sock It To Them' or whatever buggery bollocks the team would be called.

Talking of buggery bollocks, how about these 'appropriate' new names for our county cricket teams - Somerset Ciders, Middlesex Trannies, Gloucester Old Spots, Yorkshire Puddings, Lancashire Hot Pots, Durham Bass, Kent Clarks, Essex White Sox, Worcester Sauces, Leicester Piggots, Surrey Apologies . . . . .

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
Talking of buggery bollocks, how about these 'appropriate' new names for our county cricket teams - Somerset Ciders, Middlesex Trannies, Gloucester Old Spots, Yorkshire Puddings, Lancashire Hot Pots, Durham Bass, Kent Clarks, Essex White Sox, Worcester Sauces, Leicester Piggots, Surrey Apologies . . . . .

The mind boggles where Essex are concerned. ..So many possibilities....

Oct 25, 2003
Don't they want 2 T20 cups?

A county one and franchise one?

i doubt the county one would last very long. Players would be dropping out of it left, right and centre and it would simply not receive anywhere near as much exposure as the franchise one. It would probably end up acting as a bit of a 'feeder' competition for the 'EPL' or whatever where the franchise teams can sound out young players to see if they're ready for that competition mixed with a collection of county players not deemed good enough for the big boys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here