Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Reading

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Currently on a train back into Paddington so he's my ratings from today's game.

Stockdale - 6 - should not have been beaten from a free-kick in that sort of position, one brilliant save in the second-half where he got his fingertips to a shot to push it on to the bar.

Rosenior - 7 - our best defender, oozes class when he has the ball, brilliant block in the first-half to stop them scoring a second. Improved in the second half. Injury looks serious as he couldn't walk off (maybe should have been a red card, was a very dirty and cynical tackle)
Bruno - 6 - average
Dunk - 5 - very rash today, could have been sent off towards the end when giving away a stupid foul when already on a yellow
Bong - 2 - one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Looked a Sunday league player, he had no touch, he ducked out of going for balls in the air and on the ground. I believe he gave the ball away (again!) which led to their second goal. Gave away a foul for a penalty which was clearly in the box but amazingly the ref (he was awful too) gave it outside the box

Knockaert - 9 - this man is so brilliant, we're so lucky to have him. Brilliant
Sidwell - 6 - quiet, kept giving the ball away
Kayal - 6 - he really needs Stephens to be playing central with him, without him he's half the player we know
Skalak - 5 - didn't track back and help Bong, no decent set pieces. less than average today

Baldock - 5 - no service but wasn't chasing the ball down like usual from him last season, was surprised to see him start
Murray - 5 - anonymous today, kept giving away niggly free-kicks

Norwood - 6 - looked okay when he came on, got himself into good positions in the box but the ball wasn't played to him, otherwise he'd have had a tap-in
Murphy - did nothing of note when he came on
Hemed - not on long enough, should have come on when they equalised

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Stockdale -5- at fault for their first goal . He also insisted on going long every time and our strikers were getting beaten all day .
Rosenior -7- good performance and was having banter with Reading fans. Horrific tackle on him at the end . Hope he's ok
Bruno -6- had a difficult day against the aerial strength of their strikers
Dunk -8- goal line clearance and got stuck in. Brought the ball out on a few occasions too to relieve the pressure
Bong -2- he's a liability at left back . Had an absolute mare, should have probably been a penalty from his rash challenge and never closed down their crosses
Knockaert -9- He is a different class to everyone else , every time he got the ball he made something happen
Kayal -6- not his best performance but did his job
Sidwell -6- got stuck in but no attacking threat
Skalak -4- always seemed to narrow and was not helping Bong out
Baldock -5- set up the 2nd goal but didn't offer anything else attacking wise
Murray -4- anonymous today . Didn't win anything against the reading centre backs

Norwood -6- came on and helped out having extra legs in midfield
Murphy -5- didn't do anything
Hemed -6- only a 6 because he wasn't on long enough but offered more than Murray did all game. Won headers , won the free kick that got their CB sent off and set up knocky for a half chance

Overall I have to admit we were lucky to get away with a draw today

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
TBH, I think Bong cost us two points. Other players were going mental at him after the equaliser. We were playing with 10 . LR will doubtless go LB if injury no prob once Goldson/Uwe back.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Stockdale -5- at fault for their first goal . He also insisted on going long every time and our strikers were getting beaten all day .
Rosenior -7- good performance and was having banter with Reading fans. Horrific tackle on him at the end . Hope he's ok
Dunk -8- goal line clearance and got stuck in. Brought the ball out on a few occasions too to relieve the pressure
Bong -2- he's a liability at left back . Had an absolute mare, should have probably been a penalty from his rash challenge and never closed down their crosses
Knockaert -9- He is a different class to everyone else , every time he got the ball he made something happen
Murray -4- anonymous today . Didn't win anything against the reading centre backs

Hemed -6- only a 6 because he wasn't on long enough but offered more than Murray did all game. Won headers , won the free kick that got their CB sent off and set up knocky for a half chance

About right but would say Murray and Skalak 5 for me

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I could only remember Rosenior making a goal-saving block at the near post and forgot about Dunk's clearance so I'll move his rating up to a 6 or low 7 but I don't have the powers to edit my original post.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Hard to rate anyone except AK today as Bong put so many others under pressure. His positioning and decision making was atrocious today, he also managed to combine this with several mis-kicks, bottled headers and reckless challenges.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Agree with above , but very harsh on Bong , would give him a 5 , and thought a draw was a fair result

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Stockdale - 6 - disappointing first goal... couple of good saves
Rosenior - 7 - decent performance - enjoyed him winding up their idiots - hope he is OK, that was a nasty tackle
Bruno - 6 - OK
Dunk - 5 - error-strewn, one good block on the line
Bong - 3 - really poor, not helped at all by Skalak

Knockaert - 8 - the best
Sidwell - 6 - OK but doesn't create anything
Kayal - 6 - OK - bright at times - but didn't really dominate
Skalak - 4 - disappointing effort today both attacking and defending

Baldock - 6 - would have been less without the goal!
Murray - 5 - disappointing effort today - constantly muscled out of challenges

Norwood - 6 - OK
Murphy - n/a
Hemed - n/a

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Currently on a train back into Paddington so he's my ratings from today's game.

Stockdale - 6 - should not have been beaten from a free-kick in that sort of position, one brilliant save in the second-half where he got his fingertips to a shot to push it on to the bar.

Rosenior - 7 - our best defender, oozes class when he has the ball, brilliant block in the first-half to stop them scoring a second. Improved in the second half. Injury looks serious as he couldn't walk off (maybe should have been a red card, was a very dirty and cynical tackle)
Bruno - 6 - average
Dunk - 5 - very rash today, could have been sent off towards the end when giving away a stupid foul when already on a yellow
Bong - 2 - one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Looked a Sunday league player, he had no touch, he ducked out of going for balls in the air and on the ground. I believe he gave the ball away (again!) which led to their second goal. Gave away a foul for a penalty which was clearly in the box but amazingly the ref (he was awful too) gave it outside the box

Knockaert - 9 - this man is so brilliant, we're so lucky to have him. Brilliant
Sidwell - 6 - quiet, kept giving the ball away
Kayal - 6 - he really needs Stephens to be playing central with him, without him he's half the player we know
Skalak - 5 - didn't track back and help Bong, no decent set pieces. less than average today

Baldock - 5 - no service but wasn't chasing the ball down like usual from him last season, was surprised to see him start
Murray - 5 - anonymous today, kept giving away niggly free-kicks

Norwood - 6 - looked okay when he came on, got himself into good positions in the box but the ball wasn't played to him, otherwise he'd have had a tap-in
Murphy - did nothing of note when he came on
Hemed - not on long enough, should have come on when they equalised

Interesting, especially re Bong... Yet people are saying we can't drop him vs Newcastle! I'd be interested to know how badly he'd need to play for a dev LB to be drafted in?!? Yet again the development squad is clearly not fit for purpose, how many years of investment since Cook and Dunk 'made it'?!? where are our newly developed defensive players? The DS is rapidly becoming an expensive misnomer.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stockdale 5 - bad mistake and looked shaky.
Rosenoir 7 - awful tackle on him at the end.
Bong 3 - woeful
Dunk 8 - surprised by the low scores
Bruno 6 - for the first time looked like a RB playing CB
Knockaert - 9
Kayal 6
Sidwell 5
Skalak 4 needs a rest
Baldock 4
Murray 5

Murphy 6
Norwood 6
Hemed 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Agree with above , but very harsh on Bong , would give him a 5 , and thought a draw was a fair result

A 5?? The only thing of note he did was put ball over the top to Baldock which lead to our goal . He was woeful other than that and could have cost us a point with his foul which looked inside the box

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale 4 - didn't look comfortable and made errors. If he performs like this again, Maenpaa will be in serious contention for his place.
Rosenior 5 - not good enough, which is a surprise as he's usually excellent.. Gave away fouls, caught out of position, didn't offer enough going forward. His rating is raised by one goal saving tackle however. Still, I hope he's alright!
Bruno 5 - suffered aerially, found it hard to cope with their movement.
Dunk 8 - could have been sent off for a brainless tackle after just being yellow carded, but otherwise he was excellent.
Bong 2 - just a dreadful performance unfortunately. Passing poor, regularly beaten by their winger, positioning was poor, should've given away a pen, didn't cover well... Needs to improve. The only positive was the pass to Baldock for the second goal.
Knockaert 8 - not his best performance, but still one of the best players on the pitch. Got a goal, a constant thorn in their side when dribbling.
Sidwell 5 - defensively sound, although he and Kayal were overrun by Reading's extra man and movement. Offered absolutely nothing going forward, lost the ball regularly and isn't the calming influence that Stephens is.
Kayal 7 - at times he was doing two men's jobs whilst outnumbered in the centre. Worked hard, passed pretty well, tackled well. He'll play better, but he was still one of our better players.
Skalak 4 - got found out today. Defensively poor, unable to beat a man after the initial 15 minutes, passing was poor, and his usually reliable set piece delivery wasn't up to its usual standard. Personally I'd be playing Murphy away from home as Skalak doesn't have the ball carrying ability or the pace to connect the midfield to the forward lines when we play deeper.
Baldock 6 - the ball bounced off of him far too much. But apparently the first goal was his rather than an OG? Definitely got the assist for Knockaert's goal though.
Murray 4 - a serious drop in standards from the last two games. Didn't hold the ball up, often found it hard to control apparently. Well marshalled by their defence.

Norwood 6 - a calming influence. I thought the change should've been made earlier to be honest as he gave us the control in midfield that we'd lacked. Put across a beautiful ball late in the second half that Murray and Murphy should've cleaned up.
Hemed 6 - came on and posed a threat instantly. Unfortunately, the chances didn't quite fall to him.
Murphy 5 - should've been on the end of Norwood's cross, but offered a pacey outlet that connected our midfield and forward lines in a way Skalak didn't. Also helped support Bong more effectively.

The ref 1 - just dire. Really really dire.

Hughton 4 - I thought he got it wrong tactically. They absolutely dominated the midfield until late in the second half and he was too slow to rectify it, when it was plain to see early on that they had an extra man in there and they also always had a wide man over as an outlet, meaning they could isolate our full backs. Plus, Skalak is wasted away from home where we sit deeper and need players out wide who will carry the ball forward at pace to connect with our forward line.

All in all, a great result considering the performance and we have to hope that Rosenior isn't out for long.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
A 5?? The only thing of note he did was put ball over the top to Baldock which lead to our goal . He was woeful other than that and could have cost us a point with his foul which looked inside the box

He was OK in the first half , I thought Stockdale mistake for the first goal was an awful mistake , the foul Bong made came to nothing , and cost us nothing .

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Stockdale - 5 -
Rosenior - 7
Bruno - 5
Dunk - 6-
Bong - 5
Knockaert - 7
Sidwell - 6
Kayal - 5
Skalak - 5
Baldock - 7
Murray - 5

Norwood - 7

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Stockdale 5 - bad mistake and looked shaky.
Rosenoir 7 - awful tackle on him at the end.
Bong 3 - woeful
Dunk 8 - surprised by the low scores
Bruno 6 - for the first time looked like a RB playing CB
Knockaert - 9
Kayal 6
Sidwell 5
Skalak 4 needs a rest
Baldock 4
Murray 5

Murphy 6
Norwood 6
Hemed 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll pick on you then: Baldock scored one, and set up one, and you awarded him a 4. Care to elaborate?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Stockdale 4
Rosenior 5
Bruno 6
Dunk 7
Bong 4
Knockaert 8 (motm)
Sidwell 5
Kayal 7
Skalak 4
Baldock 6
Murray 5

Subs.
Norwood 5
Murphy 6
Hemed 6

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If Bong was a 2, it makes you wonder what Van der Berg would have been scored if an Albion player, given own goal, booked for dissent then sent off for pulling back Hemed having been totally out skilled, then risking a longer suspension for not leaving the field immediately and turning round to argue with the referee again.

At least the ref was consistent, it could most things wrong, and how both he and linesman decided that Bong's challenge was outside the box I don't know from 100 odd yards away.

Stockdale 5
Rosenior 6
Bruno 6
Dunk 7
Bong 5
Knockaert 8
Sidwell 6
Kayal 7
Skalak 5
Baldock 6
Murray 6

Subs.
Norwood 6
Murphy 6
Hemed 6

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'll pick on you then: Baldock scored one, and set up one, and you awarded him a 4. Care to elaborate?

It was an OG - I can't see him even touching it.

He did set up a goal........ But he offered absolutely nothing in attack, he was a miles away from Murray when the ball was in the air, did next to nothing in the first half, poor touch, didn't even work the channels effectively which is his normal strength. For me, assist or not 4 is about right.

EDIT - Care to put your assessment up?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was an OG - I can't see him even touching it.

He did set up a goal........ But he offered absolutely nothing in attack, he was a miles away from Murray when the ball was in the air, did next to nothing in the first half, poor touch, didn't even work the channels effectively which is his normal strength. For me, assist or not 4 is about right.

EDIT - Care to put your assessment up?

No, I wasn't there, but he has now been awarded with the goal, so was involved in both goals.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, I wasn't there, but he has now been awarded with the goal, so was involved in both goals.

Must admit I'm surprised - looked a great OG to me, might have given him a 5, but I'm afraid he was appalling throughout IMO. If you play him with Murray they need to work as a tandem, Baldock was nowhere near close enough and looked asleep (as did a lot of the offensive players - see my scores).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here