Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we need a defender in before Newcastle?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Several people on here were saying before today's game we don't need any more defenders in the squad and we should be focusing solely on a forward, what are the thoughts now? Rosenior looks likely to miss a couple of weeks minimum judging by his reaction, Bong was not convincing and we still have a RB playing at CB...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Take a moment, and a breath. If needed, we can put Bruno back to right back and bring White into the team to partner Dunk, promote Hall to the bench. We don't need to spend money because we conceded 2 today, I felt before the game we didn't need another defender and I feel the same now.

Goldson and Hünemeier will be back very soon, and then we'll be in a different position.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hughton has already said we need another CB. Ignore anyone who says otherwise. 3 first team CB's is not enough in this league

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
We definitely need a new left-back, Bong will be lucky if he makes the squad again. Saying that he'll probably miss the coach home which would sum up his shocking performance today.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite happy with the defenders that we've got, but six senior pros covering all back four positions does leave us very light - especially when two of them - possibly three now - are out injured. Yes, would certainly be relieved to see one or two good players coming in - but at the same time part of me is hoping we hold the nerve, and trust the likes of White, Hall and Adekugbe (sp?) to come through and validate our youth policy.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Take a moment, and a breath. If needed, we can put Bruno back to right back and bring White into the team to partner Dunk, promote Hall to the bench. We don't need to spend money because we conceded 2 today, I felt before the game we didn't need another defender and I feel the same now.

Goldson and Hünemeier will be back very soon, and then we'll be in a different position.

Its not about conceding two today its about depth of squad over a long season. Last year we had 4 defenders out at the same time, Bong, Rosenior, Greer and Uwe. Take that forward to this season and we would be in trouble. We need depth in all areas if we want to go one better this year. It is a massive gamble if we choose otherwise

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Indeed; it's time for the development squad to errrmmmmm actually develop. We need to give one of our young defenders an actual chance, personally i'd drop Bong for Newcastle and bring in the lad from the good old US of A - why is he here otherwise?!? Yes to cover an injury crisis, but surely during a form crisis too?!?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Indeed; it's time for the development squad to errrmmmmm actually develop. We need to give one of our young defenders an actual chance, personally i'd drop Bong for Newcastle and bring in the lad from the good old US of A - why is he here otherwise?!? Yes to cover an injury crisis, but surely during a form crisis too?!?

Seriously. You are suggesting an untried kid at LB coupled probably, with Rosenior injured, an untried RB at our biggest away test. Not sure I agree there

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really annoyed at Kermitwat for that - sounded completely unnecessary & pray Liam isn't out long. A CB who can also play at full back would be ideal - like Ridgewell but younger & better...

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Although Bong didn't play particularly well today, he got no help from Skalak in defensive duties and was pulled all over the shop. He stopped as many crosses, as he didn't.

It does depend how far away Hunemeier and Goldson are off fitness because that was a nasty tackle on Rosenior and think he might be out for a while. I like the idea of White and Hall stepping up and think they should be given their chance if they're up to it, but as we are we're desperately short of experience and Reading really stretched the defence today and created plenty of holes to exploit.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Although Bong didn't play particularly well today, he got no help from Skalak in defensive duties and was pulled all over the shop. He stopped as many crosses, as he didn't.

It does depend how far away Hunemeier and Goldson are off fitness because that was a nasty tackle on Rosenior and think he might be out for a while. I like the idea of White and Hall stepping up and think they should be given their chance if they're up to it, but as we are we're desperately short of experience and Reading really stretched the defence today and created plenty of holes to exploit.
We struggled defensively away to Reading and you want to throw untried kids in away to Newcastle ? Really?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Seriously. You are suggesting an untried kid at LB coupled probably, with Rosenior injured, an untried RB at our biggest away test. Not sure I agree there

That's okay, but consider this: Rooney, Zlatan etc. Were untried kids once... If not then, when? At home against Blackburn? When would be a good time in this league? You tell me...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
That's okay, but consider this: Rooney, Zlatan etc. Were untried kids once... If not then, when? At home against Blackburn? When would be a good time in this league? You tell me...

I take your point but for me in games like this we need as much experience as possible, so whilst we, probably, will have a debutant RB I don't think the next game is the time to gamble at LB as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We struggled defensively away to Reading and you want to throw untried kids in away to Newcastle ? Really?

Nobody's saying they want to throw in untried kids at Newcastle, and I don't suppose we will. Worst case scenario would be playing Bruno at RB (for the injured LR) and White at CB with Dunk - and Bong at LB. It would be stupid to throw in two youngsters at once, so Bong would keep his place.
Of course it would be good to see a good experienced top class pro brought in to fill the gaps, and I hope that happens. However, I'd rather throw in a youngster - what is the point of having a development squad, after all - than panic buy some useless overpriced lump who will probably not do any better than the youngsters, and will just be a waste of wages when our existing players are fit again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here