Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parents want to sue schools if their children have failed their A levels.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Oh dear, what ever next. it's not the fault of the school. A few years back the son of a well know ex England international, who's son went to one of this countries top Private school, was reported to be considering suing the school because his son mucked up his exams. From what I heard, at the time, the boy rather enjoyed partying more than studying. It's so easy to blame others when the fault lies closer to home.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So, despite the thread's title, no parent wants to sue a school because a pupil failed exams.
Bit of a misleading title, isn't it?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
As someone who got horrendous AS results (E D E), and one okay and one still Horrendous result for A2 (C in Biology, E in Music Technology),I've learnt that you have to work hard, 4-6 months of working hard in one subject got me from a U to a C, A levels are hard, unless you are ridiculously smart if you do much more partying than studying of course you're gonna do shitly...

The other one was kind of my educational institution's fault but I won't be suing them :lolol:...

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
So, despite the thread's title, no parent wants to sue a school because a pupil failed exams.
Bit of a misleading title, isn't it?

Yes they do; there are cases reported every year about parents suing private schools over GCSE or A level results, including Gary Lineker's moan about Charterhouse in 2010 (although I don't think he sued). There is bound to be at least one this year about A levels, although so far I could only see one from last year's GCSE results.

As the agreement between parents and private schools amounts to a contract - and many (not all) of the parents are arrogant gits with more money than sense - plenty of them would sue over GCSE or A level results. Especially if the failure can be traced to the school, which it sometimes can (e.g. teaching an old specification - happened to my DD, we did not sue but our kids go to a state school - and/or misadvising kids about their coursework level):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...inekers-son-is-a-loser-in-the-blame-game.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...chool-son-fails-achieve-predicted-grades.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ar-boarding-school-after-son-passes-just-one/

The first reported case I can find was in 2001 about 'Hurst':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1573033.stm

They need to get over it and realise their sprogs are not as brilliant as they think they are and that good state schools could have achieved exactly the same or better for those students.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes they do; there are cases reported every year about parents suing private schools over GCSE or A level results, including Gary Lineker's moan about Charterhouse in 2010 (although I don't think he sued). There is bound to be at least one this year about A levels, although so far I could only see one from last year's GCSE results.

As the agreement between parents and private schools amounts to a contract - and many (not all) of the parents are arrogant gits with more money than sense - plenty of them would sue over GCSE or A level results. Especially if the failure can be traced to the school, which it sometimes can (e.g. teaching an old specification - happened to my DD, we did not sue but our kids go to a state school - and/or misadvising kids about their coursework level):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...inekers-son-is-a-loser-in-the-blame-game.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...chool-son-fails-achieve-predicted-grades.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...ar-boarding-school-after-son-passes-just-one/

The first reported case I can find was in 2001 about 'Hurst':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1573033.stm

They need to get over it and realise their sprogs are not as brilliant as they think they are and that good state schools could have achieved exactly the same or better for those students.

But the OP didn't mention any of that, he said one parent was "considering" it. And the fact that the odd parent has sued before doesn't make it worthy of a new thread.

The implication of the OP's post was that there was some new initiative that would make it easier to sue but nothing appears to have changed at all

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
But the OP didn't mention any of that, he said one parent was "considering" it. And the fact that the odd parent has sued before doesn't make it worthy of a new thread.

The implication of the OP's post was that there was some new initiative that would make it easier to sue but nothing appears to have changed at all
Read what i said re ex England international, Liniker, as named out by Lady Gull, top Public school, Charterhouse and his son being more interested in partying. You obviously were not listening to the Today program this morning.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes

Read what I said re ex England international, Liniker, as named out by Lady Gull, top Public school, Charterhouse and his son being more interested in partying. You obviously were not listening to the Today program this morning.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Read what I said

"A few years back the son of a well know ex England international, who's son went to one of this countries top Private school, was reported to be considering suing the school..."

I did read what you said and I'll repeat what I posted earlier. How does the action of one parent translate into parents?If it's a few years back, why is this news? And "considering" suing is not the same as wanting to sue; particularly as you said that this was a few years back, implying that he did consider it, but didn't.

As Lady Gull pointed out, there have been several misguided parents over the years who have tried to sue schools. But your post implied something more significant, but there was nothing new.

Perhaps you should read what you posted

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Didn't the BBC say that 98% passed!? If that is the case there wont be any sueing ad they have made them so bloody easy nearly everyone passes anyway!

Passed as in obtaining an E or higher grade. However if you want to go to Uni you will need much higher than an E. For many of the top 10 it is AAB or even AAA then you also need probably to have taken a 4th A level as well.

I suspect that if a parent was expecting 3 As and their child only achieved 3 Es then there may be the desire to question the college.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Maybe the brats are just thick.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
"A few years back the son of a well know ex England international, who's son went to one of this countries top Private school, was reported to be considering suing the school..."

I did read what you said and I'll repeat what I posted earlier. How does the action of one parent translate into parents?If it's a few years back, why is this news? And "considering" suing is not the same as wanting to sue; particularly as you said that this was a few years back, implying that he did consider it, but didn't.

As Lady Gull pointed out, there have been several misguided parents over the years who have tried to sue schools. But your post implied something more significant, but there was nothing new.

Perhaps you should read what you posted

Parents are considering suing schools for their children failing there a levels as reported on the Today program. I was using Liniker as an example. Liniker obviously chose not to as his son preferred to party more, this I know from some of his fellow students at Charterhouse.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
As someone who got horrendous AS results (E D E), and one okay and one still Horrendous result for A2 (C in Biology, E in Music Technology),I've learnt that you have to work hard, 4-6 months of working hard in one subject got me from a U to a C, A levels are hard, unless you are ridiculously smart if you do much more partying than studying of course you're gonna do shitly

That's a very honest and admirable post [MENTION=28761]carteater[/MENTION]. A good friend of mine's daughter just got her A2 results, which weren't anywhere near good enough to get her into her Uni of choice. She was more than capable of meeting her offer grades (which were in line with her predicted grades) but she preferred instead to party most of the time and go down the "last minute revision" route. Her parents always encouraged her independence. Until now. Result: lost opportunities, collective family unhappiness this week, dealing with the daughter's emotional fallout, race to get her into Uni clearing and "looking for a reason for what happened". No one's addressing the "elephant in the room": she didn't study hard enough.

My brother is a Uni lecturer and says that some of his more average capability students who knuckle down and do the work required of them will sometimes surpass their lazier albeit more academically gifted colleagues. It's often tough to instil in youngsters the importance of doing one's best in their studies and exams but a good academic attitude and discipline will definitely open more doors in later life.

Good luck for the future.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
aaa6.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Oh dear, what ever next. it's not the fault of the school. A few years back the son of a well know ex England international, who's son went to one of this countries top Private school, was reported to be considering suing the school because his son mucked up his exams. From what I heard, at the time, the boy rather enjoyed partying more than studying. It's so easy to blame others when the fault lies closer to home.

Lineker. It's no secret.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I went to a local private boarding school in the 70s and my A level performance was underwhelming to say the least. The school did appear to have a policy of concentrating resources on Oxbridge candidates, who were identified very early on, but the reality is that I was a lazy little sxxt who cared much more about the Albion and music than my studies. You could criticise some aspects of the school's performance, there was very little effort to motivate those that were under-performing and we never saw the best teachers, but I must take most of the blame and I am not proud of it at all.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I went to a local private boarding school in the 70s and my A level performance was underwhelming to say the least. The school did appear to have a policy of concentrating resources on Oxbridge candidates, who were identified very early on, but the reality is that I was a lazy little sxxt who cared much more about the Albion and music than my studies. You could criticise some aspects of the school's performance, there was very little effort to motivate those that were under-performing and we never saw the best teachers, but I must take most of the blame and I am not proud of it at all.

I didn't go to a private school but did go to a grammar school. Passed my 11+ at 10 years of age and was in top stream until I hit 13.
Moved house and met a different group of friends and it all went downhill from there.(Easily influenced at that age)
If I could do it again, I would love to have gone to University but this was my own fault.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I came out of school with fxxk all, now I own Fxxk Hall

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here