Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Negotiating with Sky

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What are the best tactics to employ?

I'm in a situation where I've got the top price TV package with Sky, including HD. Due to where I live, I can only get the slowest tier of Sky Broadband so I have Virgin Media for that and home phone. My TV contract with Sky has just expired and Virgin has offered me a pretty good price to switch across to them (and add BT Sport).

I'm tempted, in all honesty, but I have been with Sky for many years for my TV and probably would stay if they could knock a bit off my monthly subscription. Anyone had much luck in achieving this, and if so what's the best route to take?

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011

I'm in a situation where I've got the top price TV package with Sky, including HD. Due to where I live, I can only get the slowest tier of Sky Broadband so I have Virgin Media for that and home phone. My TV contract with Sky has just expired and Virgin has offered me a pretty good price to switch across to them (and add BT Sport).

I'm tempted, in all honesty, but I have been with Sky for many years for my TV and probably would stay if they could knock a bit off my monthly subscription. Anyone had much luck in achieving this, and if so what's the best route to take?

I did exactly that. Had Virgin BB and sky tv. They wouldn't take no for an answer and eventually said you do realise this is the final offer to which I said no deal. All cancelled - 2-3 days later I got a call from them offering me an even better deal which apparently they were not allowed to offer me until I cancelled. You will get a very good deal if you play it right. I ditched tv altogether after dicovering Kodi so now just pay for broad band with Virgin (which is unbeatable)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You absolutely can get discounts. If you cancel, they'll offer you the best deals a few days later. I've currently got a 65% discount off list price.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Make them an offer they can't refuse. Horse's head.

Anyone had much luck in achieving this, and if so what's the best route to take?
I get at least 50% off. This renewal, and the previous, I said I wanted to cancel, they made an offer, I said no. They made a better offer, I said no, and I cancelled. They called me back with the offer I wanted.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes i have.

Go into your Sky account and make sure marketing tab is turned on.

Either phone or use live chat. Don't mess about just give a months notice. They will do everything to persuade you you stay.REFUSE

Once that is done log back onto your sky account to see what offers they throw at you.

Don't accept anything less 50% off for 12 months and £50 CREDIT. Get half price multi room also. You can get better than this but this is a good starting point one i took

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I also have Virgin Broadband. Won't ever change it because nothing comes close.
Sky wins for tv and deals.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
You have to be genuinely willing to walk . Only then will they slash prices

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I did exactly that. Had Virgin BB and sky tv. They wouldn't take no for an answer and eventually said you do realise this is the final offer to which I said no deal. All cancelled - 2-3 days later I got a call from them offering me an even better deal which apparently they were not allowed to offer me until I cancelled. You will get a very good deal if you play it right. I ditched tv altogether after dicovering Kodi so now just pay for broad band with Virgin (which is unbeatable)

The advice re getting discounts is all good but there is another factor you may not appreciate in that Virgin do NOT offer all the Sky channels although their marketing material certainly implies it.

For example you won't get Sky Atlantic, which is my favourite channel by a wide margin.

Made the mistake of moving to Virgin after a spat with Sky over an overcharge and they were very difficult about giving a refund despite my being a longstanding customer.

Fortunately, I managed to get out of my Virgin contract during the cooling off period and went back to Sky.

Does irritate the hell out of me having to play hardball with a supplier when you've been a loyal customer for years but it seems to be the business model of choice for many big organisations.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The advice re getting discounts is all good but there is another factor you may not appreciate in that Virgin do NOT offer all the Sky channels although their marketing material certainly implies it.

For example you won't get Sky Atlantic, which is my favourite channel by a wide margin.

Made the mistake of moving to Virgin after a spat with Sky over an overcharge and they were very difficult about giving a refund despite my being a longstanding customer.

Fortunately, I managed to get out of my Virgin contract during the cooling off period and went back to Sky.

Does irritate the hell out of me having to play hardball with a supplier when you've been a loyal customer for years but it seems to be the business model of choice for many big organisations.....

Good thought re: Sky Atlantic.

Are there any other prominent Sky channels that aren't carried by Virgin?

Thanks everyone else for your comments and tips, I'll definitely give it a go.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
About a year ago I rang sky to cancel and I got all the offers above, they did half price tv and broadband (only basic tv package) with phone line full price and I said no, said I have never used the phone line and object to paying for something I don't need. They knocked that off fully, still said no, then they asked what TV I watched and I said a little but of SciFi channel but not much else, they reduced the tv price a bit more and I said no because if I get rid of sky I will not watch any TV so can save £12 a month on a TV licence as well, at that point they knocked off another 12 quid over the monthly costs. I think I ended up getting fibre broadband (about 30mb) basic tv and phone line for £18 a month but would need to check. They do deal if you push them

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011

Yeah they tried that Sky Atlantic one with me but I wasn't interested. Get Sky Atlantic on Kodi anyway which is totally free, as is everything else including box office movies, documentaries, box sets etc etc

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
You can also get Sky Atlantic on Now TV with their entertainment package. It's about £7 a month, but cheaper if you sign up for longer.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
You'll get 50% off TV and free broadband pretty easily by just seeing through a cancellation; they'll get in touch with you before the notice period ends to offer that discount but you also then have an opportunity to push for more.

The bigger discounts historically tend to be available if you give notice in April as a lot of people downgrade the sport package for the summer months. A high percentage of people cave in and re-contract before Sky call them back ; just play the game and let them make the first move.

Also keep an eye on the deals offered for new customers, if that's better than what they offer you express your disappointment.

The Holy Grail is a big discount without being tied into a new contract at all but it's very rare.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Phone up and cancel, say you've lost your job and can't afford the subscription. You'll get circa 50% off.

Good luck.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You'll get 50% off TV and free broadband pretty easily by just seeing through a cancellation; they'll get in touch with you before the notice period ends to offer that discount but you also then have an opportunity to push for more.

The bigger discounts historically tend to be available if you give notice in April as a lot of people downgrade the sport package for the summer months. A high percentage of people cave in and re-contract before Sky call them back ; just play the game and let them make the first move.

Also keep an eye on the deals offered for new customers, if that's better than what they offer you express your disappointment.

The Holy Grail is a big discount without being tied into a new contract at all but it's very rare.

Cancelled Sky Sports in April, they emailed me a 50% discount. I rang to take up and they said no as I already had a deal on another part of my package. They point blank refused to honour the email offer, so I refused to renew Sports. Pointless stalemate as I'm not that fussed about Sports. I would have paid 50%, but now Sky get nothing.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I let my contract run out with Sky a few months ago for Family Pack + Sports + HD. They offered me a deal but I refused as it was still over £50 per month.
A few weeks later they wrote offering me the same for £38 per month so it was game on! 50% discount...ish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here