Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Edinburgh Fringe

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Just back from a few days in Edinburgh for the Fringe and the Military tattoo. Second year in a row and what a great time to be had. The place is absolutely manic with the streets rammed at all hours of the day and night.
Lucky with the weather, it was beautiful every day, the tattoo at the castle is like Withdean when its raining, but what a spectacle.
There are street shows all over the place and the bars and restaurants open till all hours. If you haven't been I suggest you go next August, you won't regret it but book early for a city centre hotel and tattoo tickets (we booked last January) Very highly recommended

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Yes, it's great - been three years but not for last couple. Accommodation in walking distance of Pleasance/Gilded Balloon is expensive but worth it to be able to head back for a break and to stay out late not worrying about buses or taxis. We found it takes a year to work it out - we saw too much and were rushing everywhere in the first year and saw too much of the same sort of thing. Had a son working there second year and that was great as he had some knowledge of things that locals were going to that were not necessarily mainstream. Tattoo is OK but very cramped and nowhere has a very good view; personally I could manage without it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Any standout acts/comedians? I am always interested in the up and comings

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I've always wondered how different is Edinburgh Fringe in August to our very own Brighton Fringe in May? Obviously, crowd numbers, but many comedians are roadtesting their Edinburgh shows for us in May. I've considered going up there but I've always really enjoyed our Fringe so (genuine question) why bother going up there and (assumingly) spending a lot more to do so?

heathgate

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 13, 2015
Just back from a few days in Edinburgh for the Fringe and the Military tattoo. Second year in a row and what a great time to be had. The place is absolutely manic with the streets rammed at all hours of the day and night.
Lucky with the weather, it was beautiful every day, the tattoo at the castle is like Withdean when its raining, but what a spectacle.
There are street shows all over the place and the bars and restaurants open till all hours. If you haven't been I suggest you go next August, you won't regret it but book early for a city centre hotel and tattoo tickets (we booked last January) Very highly recommended
You would have seen my daughter and her husband marching up and down the square in their white pith helmets.... belting out the marches.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 8, 2003
I'm going up from Newcastle for the Sun + Mon, no shows booked just going to wing it.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Went up a few years ago via coach, for the Tattoo, and a visit to HMY Britannia at Leith. We stayed in Ayr.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Any standout acts/comedians? I am always interested in the up and comings

David Quirk – Approaching Perfection – 8.15pm

He is one of my true favourites, with a unique, enquiring, funny and fascinating head (both visually and psychologically).

Sam Campbell – The Last Dreamer – 8.15pm

An ultra-funny young scallywag from Australia with some very silly stuff.

Matt Ewins – Mat Ewins will Make you a Star – 9pm

I saw Mat Ewins last year for the first time and was a bit annoyed with myself for not having seen him before. He’s incredibly funny and has what feels like a pretty unique and anarchic creativity about him that I find both disarming and exhilarating.

Andy Zaltzman – Plan Z. – 3.40pm (I think)

I saw this on the first day of the festival and there was some absolutely classic Z dog gear*****. He has an absolute shit tonne of silly and serious jokes, a pineapple and a massive letter Z with lightbulbs in it. So there.

Wil Greenway – The Way The City Ate The Stars – 4.10pm

This is absolutely gorgeous storytelling with some bloody lovely songs thrown in for good measure. It’s dense and rich and fanciful and somehow still entirely grounded. I, genuinely, at the end, after laughing and thinking and feeling for an hour, had a single tear rolling down my right cheek. Not, bloody, bad.

Fin Taylor – Whitey Mcwhiteface – 11.15pm.

This was great. It’s one of those quite rare fringe shows where all the jokes seem to serve the central concern (white privilege)and are also effing funny. It's a small room and it's hot and it's late but it's very very good.

Kieran Hurley – Heads up - 7.15pm

Beats (his previous show) is one of my favourite things ever and this is a pretty thrilling development of his storytelling and performance, I think. A dark story told thrillingly with the eloquent doom intermittently punctured by genuinely funny moments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here