Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T The Scilly Isles.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Weighing up the option of a 2017 holiday at the above location,however neither myself or her indoors are into fishing or bird spotting amongst things,so what other points of interest are there ? Is flying the best way to get there or by boat ? What about traveling around once there,self-catering or hotels ? Really need some 'hands on advice' from any NSC user who has stayed on the Islands before looking at any official site. :clap2:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Haven't been myself but been advised by those who have that the boat trip can be pretty nauseating if anything other than millpond conditions due to having to use 'flat' hulls as a very shallow harbour. Apparently it's well worth the effort whichever way you get there though as is stunning and very unspoilt, if pretty expensive now that it's very hip to holiday there.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a fantastic place, assuming you enjoy a 'slower pace' while on holiday.

Getting there

The Scillonian boat is the cheapest, but by jiminny you'll be taking your life in your hands.
It could be millpond flat or so rough as a young'un I passed out and had to be tied to a life preserver while even the crew were being ill.
After that we helicoptered it.

Stay in Hugh Town on St Mary's as near to the port as you can get.
Book early obviously there's only x amount of beds, and so many repeat trippers.

The off Islands make St Mary's look like New York :lol:

The place is just fantastic, there's loads to do without actually doing anything.

I haven't been for years, although that doesn't stop be trying to get back (money :sigh: ) but I can guarantee it hasn't changed

Off out now but will be back later if you have any specific questions.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It has changed, I think they have put a set of traffic lights on the main island.
Wonderful islands, white sand beaches, turquoise sea, total peace and quiet,
You can fly there from Exeter, Newquay or Lands End. The boat from Penzance can be an experience but a nice trip off Cornwall, I think they may have put stabilisers on it.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It has changed, I think they have put a set of traffic lights on the main island.
Wonderful islands, white sand beaches, turquoise sea, total peace and quiet,
You can fly there from Exeter, Newquay or Lands End. The boat from Penzance can be an experience but a nice trip off Cornwall, I think they may have put stabilisers on it.

T'is ok they were only temporary ones:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27010293

Oh and I can't believe I missed this earlier.

It's The Isles of Scilly, not as the thread title.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It only takes about 45 minutes to walk right across The island from Hugh Town so transport is not a problem. Some lovely unspoilt coves ideal for bird watching and fishi... Oh!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I flew from Lands End which was fairly terrifying. Don't think the helicopter runs any more. As said before stay on St Mary's and take day trips to the other islands which are run by just about anyone with a boat.

Stunning place, Tresco probably the best of the other islands

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, we had a really good week there. We self-catered in Hughtown on the main island. We took the Scillonian to get over there, but there is also a plane. We like walking so we had 2 days on the main island and walked round the others on the other days - Boats trips go to all islands. Try to get to witness a gig race = it's the thing. It's like a canoe race from one island to another. pubs, restaurants etc are quite pricey - Michael Jackson died while I was there

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Fly, Scillonian boat can make you ill on a bad crossing, my daughter enjoyed it all and visited several of the islands (not into birds or fishing) I would love to just see the tropical gardens on Tresco one day, be warned everything is expensive. I have heard though you can get fantastic fish and chips! and if you can afford them the hotels are great.

Enjoy,

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The problem with 'I don't like bird watching or fishing' mindset, is you'll not be getting what you're expecting.

It's not everyday you can pop out of an evening to watch puffins and seals etc.
Or see pods of dolphins while mackerel fishing.
You might even be really lucky, like we were one time, and have a 20ft basking shark slowly swim next to your boat.

Fungus

May 21, 2004
Truro
Very dependent on the weather.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here